Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilgrimage

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Pilgrimage

If you were to do a pagan related pilgrimage, where would you go and what path would you take?
    Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

Re: Pilgrimage

I have no idea. There is no "holy" site and "historical" sites are no longer as they once were.
    The closest thing I could come to a pilgrimage would be a deep meditation with the intent to visit with the original deity of my tradition. I'm not sure what point that would serve because the original deity was an "Air God" without form or substance of any kind. Pure intellect and potential with nothing in common with corporeal life. Itis much better for me to interact with its offspring, who at least have gender.
    It's an interesting topic. I look forward to finding out what places are "sacred" to others for a pilgrimage.

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

I haven't given it enough thought to have thought out a route... But iceland has a certain appeal to me. I know a few of the heathen blotlaugs (I have bo clue what the English word is) do a walk through Denmark to a few sites every year, but I never really looked into the details of it.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I honestly don't know. My practice relates to the natural world around me, so every uninhabited place sort of feels like that to me.

I felt strong ties to the Hebrides in Scotland. It was a desolate landscape, but it felt powerful.
    I also always feel intense about the forests in my home on Vancouver Island. Maybe it's because I grew up there and that's where I first felt drawn to nature-based religion, but I still feel like the temperate rainforests there are somewhat sacred and special.
    The Brocken mountain in Saxony also feels special (when we've managed to find paths that aren't full of tourists). I can see why Goethe loved it. Generally, I find that I share Goethe's spiritual outlook.

But still, I feel something every time I go hiking in the wilderness, regardless of where I am. Brandenburg, Sardinia, England, Ireland, Belgium, Switzerland....it doesn't seem to matter.

So, that being said, I am aching to get out of the city. My mom is coming to visit soon and I'm hoping I can talk her into a day hiking trip to Märkischer Schweiz (a hilly lake region in Brandenburg). I'd like to go there.

Edit: I think this may have been the most German thing I've ever posted.
    Last edited by DanieMarie; 08 Jul 2016 at 13:50.

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I honestly don't know. My practice relates to the natural world around me, so every uninhabited place sort of feels like that to me.

I felt strong ties to the Hebrides in Scotland. It was a desolate landscape, but it felt powerful.
    I also always feel intense about the forests in my home on Vancouver Island. Maybe it's because I grew up there and that's where I first felt drawn to nature-based religion, but I still feel like the temperate rainforests there are somewhat sacred and special.
    The Brocken mountain in Saxony also feels special (when we've managed to find paths that aren't full of tourists). I can see why Goethe loved it. Generally, I find that I share Goethe's spiritual outlook.

But still, I feel something every time I go hiking in the wilderness, regardless of where I am. Brandenburg, Sardinia, England, Ireland, Belgium, Switzerland....it doesn't seem to matter.

So, that being said, I am aching to get out of the city. My mom is coming to visit soon and I'm hoping I can talk her into a day hiking trip to Märkischer Schweiz (a hilly lake region in Brandenburg). I'd like to go there.

Edit: I think this may have been the most German thing I've ever posted.
    You found paths without tourists at Brocken? I've only been there once, and that was probably in tourist season. But there were just people everywhere.
    Schwarzwald though, part of it anyway, has some of that feeling for me. Been there a few times... the area around Die einhornhöhle in Harz is pretty special too...
    New forest in England! That was wonderful... I really want to go to scotland too...
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

DF an internal spirit journey isn't really a pilgrimage. But that does bring a good question of what is. Typically, it's a journey to a physical sacred site. But those are few and far between for the pagan community. And another aspect is that a lot of people consider the journey just as impotent as the destination, so hoping on a plane, then into a cab or bus really isn't the same. The journey matters.

I've tried thinking of some destinations, googled it, and there's really not much. Stonehenge is a big one, but it's so touristy. I personally don't like that idea. I have thought about here in the states most pagan sites would be native American. But most of those are burial mounds anyway and it's not my tradition or ancestors. But then, do we as Pagans truly need a destination other than nature itself? I don't know. I've been thinking about it.
    Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I grew up with Mississippian mounds practically in my backyard. I'm, literally, from just a stone's throw away from Cahokia. Cahokia, having been abandoned prior to the arrival of Europeans and not having been resettled by later Native people's (it's not even though that the Illiniwek in general, or the Cahokia specifically are descended from the original "Cahokians"). But anyhow, aside from having been there any number of times growing up, it's the most pilgramige-y think I can think of, from human hands. It even has a woodhenge.

Otherwise, nature stuff. I could probably come up with a huge list, but Quetico Provincial Park on the Canadian side of the Boundary Waters and Big Sir and Yosemite probably top the list.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

My "pilrimages" generally involve packing some food (and bugspray) into a bag and walking in a random direction...

According to James Stephens, to find god, go anywhere and if gods wants you, you'll find it (paraphrased from The Crock of Gold).
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 08 Jul 2016 at 18:44.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

I myself would find the "Vision quest" idea very interesting. Where you go out into nature,and seek understanding of your connection to the "World"(world here being kind of all of Nature)
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Reading John Muir while minimalist backpacking in Yosemite... Or Sigurd F Olsen canoeing the Boundary Waters..... I think that's probably the ultimate pilgrimage for me...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible