Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilgrimage

Re: Pilgrimage

Walking anywhere could be a pilgrimage (for me at least). I'm very fond of the idea of pilgrimage (and since I don't have a car or a bicycle and I can't figure out how to use the local public transport I go everywhere by foot so I have a certain affinity with walking)
    There's actually a nature site that is about a four days walk away from here (there's even a hiking route). It's considered one of most scenic sites of the country and also an ancient Pagan worship/offering place. I've been there once and it's a bit touristy but I'm still planning to walk there. Not as a Pagan pilgrimage though.

But sure there are gorgeous places everywhere. I don't even want to think about it since I can't visit them all!
    baah.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    You found paths without tourists at Brocken? I've only been there once, and that was probably in tourist season. But there were just people everywhere.
    Schwarzwald though, part of it anyway, has some of that feeling for me. Been there a few times... the area around Die einhornhöhle in Harz is pretty special too...
    New forest in England! That was wonderful... I really want to go to scotland too...
    I've only been there in the winter. It's still super popular, but some of the smaller paths are clear.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

When I was at uni my final year field study (on the mating habits of the yellow dungfly ^^) was done at a research centre in the middle of nowhere. The centre had its own forest on the grounds that wasn't accessible to the public. I rose very early every morning just so I could sit in the forest and meditate before breakfast. On my last day I tied a single hair from my head to the tree beside which I would sit to meditate, and asked that the forest remember me.

It was around the same time that I stared the Fellowship of Isis course and my teacher advised me to have a proper entrance to Rotokia instead of just imagining myself straight there. That way I could properly prepare myself and have a specific reason for entering Rotokia.

I decided to make this entrance in the forest from my field trip.

I've spent so many years imagining the forest, and I know it has probably changed so much that it no longer resembles the place, but I'd love to return there one day. It isn't possible, but if it were I couldn't begin to tell you how much it would mean to me.

I've never actually been to Amesbury. That's something I'd like to do at some point. I'm not sure I'd call that a Pilgrimage, but I've been told by those who've been that for spiritual folk it's difficult not to be moved by the energy of the place. I'd like to put that to the test.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

I working on putting together a backpacking gear set, so I can do some deep woods hikes, or overnights anyway, but I really want to do some sort of pilgrimage. Mostly a more purposeful hike than just going out to commune with nature, and something more intense and lengthy than a weekend trip. I honestly think of the PCT or the AT as a more pilgrimage type of backpacking adventure. But neither of them is really leading into a specific place. And it's going to be a long while before I can afford to take a month or two away, not just financially. I'm planning to go down to part time so I can stay home with Nova and if we have another child that one as well, so it won't be until their grown that I'll be able to take that much time away. At least until they're old enough to stay home one their own for the most part.
    Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Fluffy Wiccan

We made the pilgrimage to the Arctic Henge for Summer Solstice this year. We ended up covering 2,500Km from the nearest international airport. 10 Days, no sunsets, no hotels... Oh and we done it with my 10 month old son... Was challenging, but an amazing experience which bought all three of us even closer together.

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Solitary Witch

I think hiking the AT would make an awesome prilgrimage I'd love to do that someday if I ever can afford to take that much time off work. I'm sure there's sites in Maine that could make for a good sprititual destination. But the journey itself would make for an intense spiritual expereince all on its own.

I googled what is at the end of the appalachian trail out of curiosity and I got this site: http://mrandmrsadventure.com/2015/06...lachian-trail/

That final mountian of the trail looks like it would be a good destination for a spiritual site; Mount Katahdin, or, The Greatest Mountain.

Hiking through europe and visiting various spritual sites would also make for a great dream pilgrimage I'd love to do someday. Rome would be especially significant for me since I'm a quarter Italian from an area very close to Rome. Or to visit all the places I'm a mutt from would be pretty awesome (Italy, Wales, Britain, Germany) My last name is Italian though, so I think feel a strong draw to going there.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

I'm not sure what all is left, but I'd visit the temples that are still standing that were dedicated to the gods I work with.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Nov 2015
    Religion
    Mesopotamian/Sumerian Neopagan with Hermetic leanings

For myself, the number one pilgrimage site would be the Ziggurat of Ur in modern day dhi qar province, iraq. Because who wouldn't want to visit a 4000 year old, 98 foot temple dedicated to the god of the moon? If the region wasn't so war-torn, I'd make the trip sooner rather than later.