• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building machines with repurposed cells

Truely, we live in a wonderous age:

Stingray Robot Uses Light-Activated Rat Cells to Swim

From the article:

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Building machines with repurposed cells

I wonder why they used sugar as the fuel source. If it's using organic cells, wouldn't it make more sense to have it fueled by good fats?

(I didn't read the article [yet] so if they explain it in there, ignore this post. XD)
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      I wonder why they used sugar as the fuel source. If it's using organic cells, wouldn't it make more sense to have it fueled by good fats?

(I didn't read the article [yet] so if they explain it in there, ignore this post. XD)
      In this case, I don't know (I skimmed the actual journal article, but didn't see mention of it--I'll go back and read it later, because its really neat), but in general, not all cells can be fueled by lipids, and not all physiological conditions of a cell (even one that can use glucose, fatty acids, and amino acids as a metabolic fuel source) support fatty acid oxidation. But...all cells can break down glucose, and can do it in a wide range of conditions, and its a more direct chemical reaction to support---fatty acid metabolism might make for more energy overall, but it takes more intermediary steps. Also, a there's probably some viscosity issues to be dealt with as a swimming machine...and glucose mixes with water better than lipids.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        In this case, I don't know (I skimmed the actual journal article, but didn't see mention of it--I'll go back and read it later, because its really neat), but in general, not all cells can be fueled by lipids, and not all physiological conditions of a cell (even one that can use glucose, fatty acids, and amino acids as a metabolic fuel source) support fatty acid oxidation. But...all cells can break down glucose, and can do it in a wide range of conditions, and its a more direct chemical reaction to support---fatty acid metabolism might make for more energy overall, but it takes more intermediary steps. Also, a there's probably some viscosity issues to be dealt with as a swimming machine...and glucose mixes with water better than lipids.
        I think this is in line with what you've said, but my guess (as a dude generally ignorant of physiology, but not adverse to taking a guess ) is that they were more interested in a limited short term operation, and sugar fuels that without requiring extra cell resource baggage.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Burning fats takes a lot more oxygen than burning sugar. It is more economical to feed cells sugar than fats.
          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I will go along with that,as I tend to fuel a big percentage with sugar when I am not digging into a nice pork sausage or a BBQ chicken wing...(Omnivore's get to taste so much more)

"It is more economical to feed cells sugar than fats." Perhaps why it is named "Comfort food"

- - - Updated - - -

DONUTS!!!!
            Last edited by anunitu; 12 Jul 2016, 09:49.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It might have been extremely difficult to suspend fats in the living media and add oxygen to it to maintain the process. Sugar dissolves readily in water and both the water and the sugar contain oxygen. Much easier to deal with in the lab.
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Fats.have to be transported across the cell membrane...they don't pass through by way of simple or facilitated diffusion, or thought ion channels, etc. There's quite a bit of preparation of a lipid that has to occur before it can be transported into the cell. Possible for a whole organism, but I'm not sure how a sheet of cells would manage it without the specialized cell of that organism that normally handle packaging the fat molecules for uptake.

Glucose can be absorbed through facilitated diffusion (our red blood cells do it, since they can't metabolize fat at all) as well as two types of active transport.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X