Tattoos and the gods..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tattoos and the gods..

Would you think it would be inappropriate for a believer to get a tattoo of the god or goddess they feel a particuliar devotion too? I mean, I know a rash decision is a bad idea for any tattoo, regardless of religion. I have a Pagan friend who wants to get a tattoo of a stylized version of Apollo, which she has been worshipping for about nine years. Do you think that doing something like this is acceptable to your own opinion on your path?

Re: Tattoos and the gods..

I'm cool with it. Apollo is badass.

Mostly art.

Comment

I think that getting tattooed, regardless of reason, should be something to be thought over at length because they are permanent. That said:

[quote author=frankophonic link=topic=1390.msg28350#msg28350 date=1294892185]
      Would you think it would be inappropriate for a believer to get a tattoo of the god or goddess they feel a particuliar devotion too?[/quote]
      Not at all. It is their belief, it is their body. If this is a form of worship they wish to endure for their deity, whom am I to judge? For a lot of people this is an important step and even sometimes something to affirm the depth of their devotion. Body ink has been part of many religious traditions for as long as religion has been around.

[quote author=frankophonic link=topic=1390.msg28350#msg28350 date=1294892185]I have a Pagan friend who wants to get a tattoo of a stylized version of Apollo, which she has been worshipping for about nine years. [/quote]
      It sounds like she has a very strong connection to her deity and I think it's actually a neat idea.

Do you think that doing something like this is acceptable to your own opinion on your path?
      [/quote]
      My particular path doesn't have any rules for or against body ink. I have a tattoo (of an animal) and while it wasn't intended to represent my path, it can still be interpreted as such if I choose to. Or not. That's the beauty of having ink that wasn't intended to mean anything specific -- as far as religion goes.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I belive it would be showing a special devotion to your deity I actually plan on getting tattoo(s) of my deities at some point (im thinking a sundisk between cow horns for the lady of the sistrum between my shoulders but that's the only one im sure of) I think its perfectly fine after all I see tons of christians with cross and crucifix tattoos. Tattoos have been found on mummies in kemet, and their is evedence the practice goes back for a very long time. As juniper said body ink has been around in religeous practices for as long as religeon has.
        Circe

Comment

I think it's a cool way to show your devotion--just make sure before the inking starts. The cost of tattoos prevents me from getting anymore, for now.
          Sleep, my friend, and you will see
          That dream is my reality

Comment

As long as you're doing some hard thinking about your tattoo design and placement for a while before hand (which is true for any tattoo) then I don't see a problem with it. Of course, you'd want to be sure that the deity you followed didn't have a problem with it. I briefly considered getting a crows feather steadied in flame to represent my current two Matrons, Morrigan and Brighid. Morrigan made it quite clear, as soon as I had the thought, that it was not something She approved of. Whether that's specifically a tattoo of Her, or merging it with a tattoo of Brighid, or whether I should wait for my third Matron to reveal Herself...

Either way, check with your deity.

Comment

All of my tattoos have some sort of spiritual significance, just got done with my fifth not 12 hrs ago hehe. I find that it's a way to bond with spiritual aspects. I've often tranced while getting them and say a prayer-like devotion of the tattoo to an intent or deity, very similar to the liturgy for talisman charging. These are carefully thought out and drawn before taking them into the shop to be put on.
              -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
              (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

For me a tattoo has to be something that will never change ... My right shoulder is my military service and my left shoulder is me, my zodiac, chinese birth year sign, blue moon (which I was born under), etc ... These things will never change ... I know a gal that has her kids foot prints from their birth certificates on her ankle ... That will never change ... But she was engaged and he was killed before they wed ... Now she has a new fiance ... Loves and spouses change ... Beliefs change ... Many here used to be Christian of some sort, but now? ... What if they had gotten a tattoo of Jesus on their back? ...

Remember, it is permanent ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1390.msg28555#msg28555 date=1294961570]
                  Beliefs change ... Many here used to be Christian of some sort, but now? ... What if they had gotten a tattoo of Jesus on their back? ... [/quote]

Well, I guess it's the sort of thing that really depends... I mean, if I were to get a religious tattoo now, I think I would be okay with it even if my beliefs changed down the road. I've been pagan for over 10 years now, it is a huge part of me, it has greatly shaped who I am today. Even if my beliefs change, I would be okay with it, to see it as a reminder of where I've been - of a very important part of my life, even if I have changed.

But you are right, it is something important to consider.
                  Hearth and Hedge

Comment

[quote author=Gardenia link=topic=1390.msg28600#msg28600 date=1294971626]
                    Even if my beliefs change, I would be okay with it, to see it as a reminder of where I've been - of a very important part of my life, even if I have changed.

[/quote]

This is my philosophy also. I see tattoos as a demarcation of important events, philosophies, people, etc in life that shape who we have become, not something that is fixed and unchangeable. IMO, tattoos reflect the journey of my life, not who I am at the destination...though I prefer for it to highlight the *really important* stuff, and not be like a random twitter feed.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Would you think it would be inappropriate for a believer to get a tattoo of the god or goddess they feel a particuliar devotion too? I mean, I know a rash decision is a bad idea for any tattoo, regardless of religion. I have a Pagan friend who wants to get a tattoo of a stylized version of Apollo, which she has been worshipping for about nine years. Do you think that doing something like this is acceptable to your own opinion on your path?
                      [/quote]

I think whether or not it's appropriate would be something to be determined between the person and their deity, no? In my opinion? Go for it. Whatever floats yer boat. But my opinion doesn't matter. It's also my opinion that people can be idiots and get stupid tattoos like... Ice Cream cones on the side of their face that sais "Brrrr" ... What's that celebrity's name?
                      In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

I like the responses about it being important even if she changes her mind. I agree. Even if we give something up that was a large part of our lives, we still have to realize that it was important in shaping us. I was a Catholic for a long time. I may find the teachings repugnant now, but I can't deny that it all had a role in making me who I am today. I told her that she should go for it as along as she really, really thought it out and was positive that she wanted something permanent on her. I have a tattoo, and I haven't regreted it even for a second. It's not a religious one, but it's still important to me symbolically so I don't think that she's making a mistake. I was just wondering if you thought it might be sacreligious but I see your points on why it isn't necessarily so.

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=1390.msg28613#msg28613 date=1294975358]IMO, tattoos reflect the journey of my life, not who I am at the destination...[/quote]

beautifully put
                          -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
                          (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

Would you think it would be inappropriate for a believer to get a tattoo of the god or goddess they feel a particuliar devotion too? I mean, I know a rash decision is a bad idea for any tattoo, regardless of religion. I have a Pagan friend who wants to get a tattoo of a stylized version of Apollo, which she has been worshipping for about nine years. Do you think that doing something like this is acceptable to your own opinion on your path?[/quote]

I have two tattoos for Apollo myself, the test of the 21st Homeric hymn in Greek across my shoulders, and a cypress tree down my spine. You can guess what I think of tattoos for the gods.

I would caution anyone thinking of getting one though, to keep in mind that things like this can bring unexpected things into your life. (That's can, not definitely will.) For me, the finishing of the ones I have marked a very unexpected change in my relationship with him and how I view him.
                            Memories of Pain and Light: http://painandlight.wordpress.com

"Hey love, I am a constant satellite of your blazing sun; my love, I obey your law of gravity, this is the fate you've carved on me, the law of gravity..." -Vienna Teng, Gravity

Comment

I don't see a problem with it, after all a lot of ancient cultures used to do it. My boyfriend has the Horns of Odin on his upper left arm, and he's very proud of it. Though he did read on a website afterwards that those tattooed with the sign of Odin supposedly die a horrible bloody death. It was only one website that said it though, we've never heard it anywhere else. It's probably just a superstition. ^_^
                              When I eventually get a tattoo (i.e. when I finally get a job XD), it'll either be a religious one or one for my late mother (not entirely sure yet).
                              "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

Working...
                              X