No announcement yet.

Because Inquiring minds want to know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Because Inquiring minds want to know...

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    Ah, yeah, we had that myth too but they weren't considered aspects of God by my coven. They were more like spirits, or egregores even. The myth was reenacted as a metaphor for the passing from the waxing to the waning half of the year (and vice versa of course). They were concerned only with the solstices though, while the cycle of Goddess and God was specifically celebrated on the fire festivals. Come to think of it, we had no myth for the equinoxes at all.. I never noticed that until now.

I'm really curious to know how others view the woty now, but let's not derail this thread too much.
    Like I said been sometime so not all real clear anymore. I do recall though that the goddess was seen almost in the context of an Oak and Holly Queen herself and figured in some of the imagery as well. Figure the greenman imagery holds both faces, the Oak face and the Holly face, while not seen nearly as often there is also a female Oak and Holly face. I recall the greenwoman face simply because I always wondered how it might connect to the Shelia Na-Gig figures or if it connected at all.

I think for me figure originally there were only 4 high days or Sabats so the es-sabats and such didn't really play into it much. But have to admit as far as practice I was on the fringes back in late 70's early 80's and never went through an initiation into a Wiccan coven. What I encountered in Scotland was probably more BTW than anything found in the US at the time.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
      Nope nope, here too!
      Also true with Osiris/Horus...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
        What do you do when you realize you went back in time and conceived yourself?
        I keep getting hung up on the thought that... What if you're born as a different gender than the one you started with? Like... Are you guaranteed to be born a man, if you go back in time and *conceive* yourself or do you think Mother Nature will throw in a wild card?

Other then that, I have to keep mulling this over.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
          I keep getting hung up on the thought that... What if you're born as a different gender than the one you started with? Like... Are you guaranteed to be born a man, if you go back in time and *conceive* yourself or do you think Mother Nature will throw in a wild card?

Watch Orlando. It will answer all!
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post

Now that is a though I honestly had not factored in. That would really corrupt things. Especially in the sense of if you change genders from male to female for instance how can you then go back and conceive yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
              Now that is a though I honestly had not factored in. That would really corrupt things. Especially in the sense of if you change genders from male to female for instance how can you then go back and conceive yourself.
              The paradox would be self-resolving.

The subject would have to be the right gender at the right time, otherwise the events could not occur. Since they did occur (imaginatively), the subject was the right gender at the right time.

Or, if this doesn't satisfy, you can go for the multiple universe hypothosis in which a time traveler actually moves to a different, but closely parallel universe.

(Kip Thorne and Stephen Hawking have actually debated this issue)
              Last edited by B. de Corbin; 12 Jul 2016, 04:36.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I had though of the parallel dimensions theory for this one. Sort of like Quantum Leap series, though in that I don't recall him ever actually jumping into his own past body.

Does add an interesting aspect though if you consider the right gender for the right leap. Almost suggests that the universe, God, god & goddess or whatever you select has safeguards in place to prevent a major corruption to the time stream. Which goes into another area to ponder I suppose.

Comment

The TV analogy you want would be Sliders where the characters actually get lost in the multiverse. In Quantum Leap (if I recall correctly) the character jumped ito different bodies, but remained in the same universe.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    The TV analogy you want would be Sliders where the characters actually get lost in the multiverse. In Quantum Leap (if I recall correctly) the character jumped ito different bodies, but remained in the same universe.
                    Your right was thinking of Sliders but Quantum Leap came to mind. Sam from Quantum Leap stayed in the same time stream though at various moments within it. Though he jumped into the person's body and sort of replaced their presence. Q-Ball and his group bounced through alternate dimensions and possibilities. Vaguely recall a couple of times where different member's actually encountered their alternate selves. If not alternate self specifically then the persona and reputation of their alternate self. Seem to recall Remmy going into his rock star alternate self and Quinn as his alternate self as a gun fighting lawyer.

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside thought though I recall a few episodes of Quantum Leap where animals and young children could see Sam vice whomever's body he took over. I wonder if a person going back in time such as this scenario ask's would be recognizable to animals or children? Especially if the person had older siblings who might on some level "Feel" or "Sense" a connection to the time traveler.

So many "What If's.."

Comment

Do not go down that rabbit hole,you will end up being a writer doing Sharkanado movies...
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Common theme - even in Back To The Future, when Marty McFly goes back, his future mother flirts with him.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                          Common theme - even in Back To The Future, when Marty McFly goes back, his future mother flirts with him.
                          Subconscious bond?

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                            Subconscious bond?
                            The subconscious bond in that movie surfaced when Lorraine decided to kiss Marty but stopped because 'it felt wrong.' I do like those movies!

Comment

Futurama did this - Fry went back in time and met his grandfather, who ended up getting killed. When he didn't disappear like he thought he would, he realized his grandfather's girlfriend wasn't his grandmother after all and slept with her, only to realize afterward he'd just made himself his own grandfather.

Time travel is NOT my thing. It breaks my brain.

Comment

Working...
                              X