Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

  1. #1
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,093
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

    image.jpg

    This is partially for people who tell me they can't meditate - I say, you potentially do it all the time.

    But more, it's because I love sleep.

    When I was ill, I would go days unable to sleep. This might have been the shittiest part of it because, not only was it horrible itself, it increased the horror, and my inability to do anything about it, of everything else. And oblivion was generally unavailable...

    Currently, I never have trouble falling asleep, I sleep every opportunity I get, and I have made cats my heroes because of their Ability to close their eyes, take a nap, a enjoy a lovely few minutes every chance they get.

    If you read that and your initial reaction is: "lazy jerk," maybe you could consider that sleep has historically been seen as sacred, and, perhaps, re-mythologize your attitude about the beauty of the snooze.

    Trust me... No, don't trust me. Try it. You'll fall in love, too.

    Falling for sleep: When wakefulness is seen as the main event, no wonder so many have trouble sleeping. Can we rekindle the joy of slumber?
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  2. #2
    Live and learn anunitu's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,335
    Religion
    stregheria

    Re: My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

    I be digging that cat nap lifestyle my own self..
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

    Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

    The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

    It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

    I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

    Trust lost,is trust never regained.

    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

  3. #3
    Moderator Azvanna's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,038
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Panentheistic Progressive Christian
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Phrase
    No limits

    Re: My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

    Half way through this article, the author talks about leaving the third eye open when you enter sleep and staying aware during deep sleep. Fine, but does it interfere with the direction of the dream? If you stay aware of your dream, you can change the direction of the dream, right? Wouldn't that mean you're not really freely exploring your subconscious? So there'd be depths there that you may not access?

  4. #4
    Copper Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    965
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE
    Location
    SE Washington

    Re: My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

    Meditation and sleep have very little in common. Meditation is usually very close to pure alpha wave brain activity with short incursions of beta waves. Sleep is theta and delta waves with incursions of beta during REM sleep. The mindfulness of meditation is lost in sleep. You are essentially unconscious to the world around you.
    Vivid dreams are not in the least bit relaxing as the brain is working as though it is responding to the real world and muscles contract and work as hard as they do in isometric exercises. You would have to show me evidence of sleep being similar to meditation at all.

    For a quick review of sleep and brain wave activity see this: http://www.psych.westminster.edu/psy...Brainwaves.htm

  5. #5
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,093
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

    Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    Half way through this article, the author talks about leaving the third eye open when you enter sleep and staying aware during deep sleep. Fine, but does it interfere with the direction of the dream? If you stay aware of your dream, you can change the direction of the dream, right? Wouldn't that mean you're not really freely exploring your subconscious? So there'd be depths there that you may not access?
    That's a good question - I wonder that as well. From what I've read of a practitioner of that form of yogi, he described the dream sleep as "a very noisy place," and seemed to indicate that it was a place that one passes through.

    I would picture it as being like lucid dreaming. If I were able to do it, I think I would act as an observer. The point of my particular practice is "letting go of illusion/delusion (maya)," and the "dream world" would be one more place to practice that.

    Entirely IMHO...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    Meditation and sleep have very little in common...
    Umma gonna go with the Dalai Lama on this one, I think.

    http://www.dalailama.com/news/post/8...tists-in-tokyo
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 12 Jul 2016 at 16:49.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  6. #6
    Copper Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    965
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE
    Location
    SE Washington

    Re: My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

    Opinion is rarely good evidence, even if it is the opinion of the Dalai Lama.
    I cannot argue faith with science nor logic.
    It is a lot like trying to teach a pig to sing.

  7. #7
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,093
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    Opinion is rarely good evidence, even if it is the opinion of the Dalai Lama.
    I cannot argue faith with science nor logic.
    It is a lot like trying to teach a pig to sing.
    Somebody raised, since the age of six, practicing a range of activities commonly called "meditation" is far more expert on the subject than are brain scientists who have hooked up a limited number of people to a machine and proclaimed (if they really did, but I would bet that they actually noted the specific form of meditation they were working with, assuming they were qualified to talk about meditation at all) that brainwave X is meditation, but brainwave Y is not.

    I won't further argue with a person whose mind is shut to experience, and open only to lines in books. It's too much like listening to a pig try to sing.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  8. #8
    Moderator Azvanna's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,038
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Panentheistic Progressive Christian
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Phrase
    No limits

    Re: My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

    Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post

    I would picture it as being like lucid dreaming. If I were able to do it, I think I would act as an observer. The point of my particular practice is "letting go of illusion/delusion (maya)," and the "dream world" would be one more place to practice that.
    I wonder how hard it would be to simply observe if heading into a nightmare. My husband has a natural ability for lucid dreaming. He never developed it consciously, but in all his dreaming and especially if a nightmare begins, he can simply take control and change the thing into a bunny or ice cream or whatever! The only time he can't do this is when he's really sick. I don't view lucid dreaming as a positive unless you're purely an observer like you say, Corbin, because then your fears are never really brought to your awareness. I could name my husband's fears with a certain amount of accuracy, but I'm not sure he could. I also wonder how subconscious the subconscious would become if it knew it were being watched.. kind of like us. If we know we're being watched, our behaviour is changed to suit what we think the observer might be pleased with seeing. If I understand the quantum physics right (is that even possible...), even particles change behaviour when being observed.

    Not to be a downer on this, because I believe in the power of dreams. I used to keep a dream journal in my teens because I was prone to very vivid dreams that I believed to be spiritual messages (probably hormone related). Those few seconds between waking and sleeping are really interesting to me too. Once in that state, I heard music like nothing on earth. There were notes and tones and timbres in there that I can't describe and have never heard. At the time, I thought maybe I was listening to God's choir of angels. I tried to replicate the music by recording effects through my electric guitar and layering, but just never got there. Truly very special.

    Actually, there was one time I feel like maybe I reached this state of dreaming but awake and was observing in meditation. When I was expanding awareness, it was like I found a current and followed it. The scene I observed played out before me and it was though I was there, but I had no physical presence and the other players in the scene were unaware of my presence. It was different from other 'visions' I'd had as my other visions tend to be while I'm in prayer for others and I get more of a pictorial impression. This was much more like dreaming and the fact that I can't tell you if I fell asleep or not probably means I did.

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    Opinion is rarely good evidence, even if it is the opinion of the Dalai Lama.
    Oh, you've got us there! We do like our good science here at PF
    Last edited by Azvanna; 12 Jul 2016 at 18:13.

  9. #9
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

    As someone who frequently slips between different brain waves when meditating, including sometimes going from active visualisation to full-blown lucid dreaming where I am fully aware of my purpose for being in that landscape, but it is otherwise like I'm walking through a dream, then I'm gonna have to side with Corbin on this one. The subconscious doesn't much like being put into neat little boxes and I think it's very limiting to strive only to utilise a narrow range of brain wave activity when we at least all seem to agree that there is much more we don't know about the brain's function, than we do know.

    You won't get links or quotes to back up my theory though. My spirituality doesn't concern itself much with trying prove myself right. I'm less concerned about being right and more concerned about just being.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  10. #10
    Nihilistic Goddess Medusa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10,216
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

    Re: My favorite altered state - "the snooze"

    I have insomnia due to bi polar. I can only sleep with zzzquil. Though due to my naturally inclined night owl status, I can do a good nap(if I put my audiobook on).
    I can't meditate. i can't sleep.
    I'm effed.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Similar Threads

  1. Bring on the "Harry potter" reaction to "Frozen"
    By anunitu in forum News & Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12 May 2016, 06:57
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22 Oct 2014, 11:49
  3. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 05 Oct 2014, 11:17
  4. Demonology: An Altered state of conciousness
    By Archaic in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24 Oct 2013, 15:05
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12 Dec 2011, 00:37

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •