X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan America* Project

fullsource
    What do you have in your area? (or other places you have lived/visited) (and I don't care if they are "invented" or not)

*For our purposes, anywhere really, not just America...though the official conception says otherwise
    obviously some places have it easier than others...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Pagan America* Project

The only building around here that might be decorated is the older courthouse, but it looks like a big minimalist tomb. I think the only thing there is the Roman imperial eagle...

But I'm gonna look. This would be a fun project.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

In Britain, Britannia is naturally common; I see her as an aspect of Athena.
      Notes on allegorical sculpture emblematic of Britannia, in context of pages on mainly Victorian art

A few miles away from me, there's a fine Father Thames
      Allegorical statue in the gardens below Richmond Hill. Further downhill is the River Thames.

Comment

When I lived in Norfolk, VA Beach has Neptune. Plus all the mermaids...

Here...I'm not sure.

DC though, has a TON of stuff...I'll go through my pics at home if I get the chance.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I'm from Mobile, AL which has the oldest Mardi Gras celebrations in the United States(and assisted New Orleans in launching their own celebrations in the 19th century). It would be interesting to see what Pagan imagery surrounds the very colorful and diverse crewes we have. Though, admittedly, I don't know to much about it.

Comment

Back at my first college, which was an all girl's school, I remember being amazed that some of the older cast iron patio furniture had depictions of Artemis on them. I'm not sure how old they were, but the school has been around for quite a while and has always been all girls, so I think they could have been quite a bit old. I also thought it was quite interesting since we were also located on the bible belt in southern Virginia and the school used to be a seminary school and still had a lot of Christian ties. For example, there was a meditation room in the freshman dorm that was obviously a mini chapel with a few pews and a cross at its front.

I also have always thought the Virginia flag looked quite a bit like Athena with her helmet and spear, except for the fact that she has one breast bared.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              What do you have in your area? (or other places you have lived/visited) (and I don't care if they are "invented" or not)

*For our purposes, anywhere really, not just America...though the official conception says otherwise
              obviously some places have it easier than others...
              A few blocks from my apartment, someone has a statue of Pan, and a sphinx, on their porch.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
              X