X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which deities?

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    And Ganesha has recently made a surprise appearance. I'm not quite sure what his purpose is supposed to be in my life yet, but I understand from some quick research that he probably represents the archetype of Wisdom.
    Yes, Ganesha is the god of wisdom, obstacles and beginnings. He removes obstacles, or places obstacles for us if we need to be reigned in, and is invoked at the beginning of any undertaking: studying, travel, worship. He's invoked to remove any obstacles to these. The standard prayer in Sanskrit is (since Sanskrit has no upper or lower case, I use all lower case):

(-aya = ah-ya) namaha (that's also his nama japa [name recitation] mantra which can be used any time, anywhere, any number of repetitions)
    om salutations to lord ganesha (most prayers and mantras start with om)

brightly dressed and all-pervading (vishnum doesn't refer to the god vishnu here)

shashi varnum chatur bhujam
    [with a] face/complexion like the moon [with] four arms

who has a compassionate face let us meditate on him

(-aye = ah-yeh)
    to remove all obstacles

Sanskrit, being highly inflected, is almost completely free-form. Translating into English makes it sound funny, unless one understands the inflection system. Typically the prayer is rendered in English as:

om salutations to lord ganesha
    who is brightly dressed, and all-pervading,
    with a moonlike complexion and four arms,
    let us meditate upon that compassionate face
    that he may remove all obstacles.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Well I'm sure you all can tell from my name, , that I am sworn to Anubis. I am also sworn to Bast. These two are my patron and matron deities. I also work with Isis and Osiris at times since in the mythology of Egypt, Isis raised Lord Anubis and Osiris is the Lord of the Underworld. However, I don't work with them just for those reasons.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Apart from the obvious (who I have a non-obvious revelation of), I'm really interested in Airmed of the Tuatha De Danann. She is mentioned twice in the Irish myth The Second Battle of Magh Tuiredh. She's an herbalist and enchanter. There isn't much to go on apart from a scant few lines so likely my interest will remain fairly casual. If anyone has any information on her apart from that one myth, let me know.
        Last edited by Azvanna; 22 Jul 2016, 14:43.

Comment

For me, it's been Athena for a very long time now. More recently, I've started to interact with Hermes as well.

Comment

Working...
          X