This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you view deity?

This has probably been discussed, but I didn't see a specific thread for it..

I'm reading Drawing Down the Moon and there is a chapter devoted to polytheism, monotheism, pantheism, etc. and also how many Pagans view deity. One section mentioned how many Pagans think of Gods and Goddesses as Jungian archetypes as opposed to real beings. I've heard this from some of the Pagan YouTubers I follow, but I haven't given it much thought up until now. And, honestly, I'm not sure of how I view them.. Something for me to ponder on..

So I'm curious.. How do you view deity? Are they real beings to you or do you think of them as archetypes? And why do you think you view them in that way? I love hearing different perspectives

Re: How do you view deity?

I'm yet to find anyone who shares my 'unverified personal gnosis' when it comes to deity but I'll answer anyway.

I believe there is an energy that exists within everything in the universe. In those vast empty spaces within the atoms. It might have already been identified and named by science, but not yet fully explored or understood, but generally I imagine it doesn't usually do much we could measure. It has no more awareness or consciousness than electromagnetism, or gravity. It just exists and does its thing, whatever that is, because that's just how the universe is.

BUT, when a self-aware and conscious mind interacts with it (and it needn't be consciously) it will take on a personality and become any deity or being or architype you could imagine. It contains all memories and all knowledge so has infinite wisdom.. you just need to learn to communicate with it.. which is easiest if you meet it through various beings.

I still had to chose which deities I'd work with though. The ones I chose meet me in 3 forms. At the most basic level they're archetypes, but I also meet them as the personification of nature, and finally at the most complex level I meet them as real individuals with unique personalities and memories. All three 'realms' are equally important to me so I try to spread my worship and practices between them.
    Last edited by Jembru; 27 Jul 2016, 21:35.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

That's really interesting! I've never heard it described that way before!

Comment

Originally posted by Nayru View Post
        That's really interesting! I've never heard it described that way before!
        Me neither. It's a concept I was forced to create for myself to reconcile some issues I had with the belief in deity (more detailed explanation). I totally appreciate how whacky I sound when I describe it, but it's working for me so far. Besides, I really am a little nuts.

I like that it doesn't discredit anyone else's experience of the divine, or even lack of.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

My deities are very real. There are different "classes" of gods and goddesses with varying degrees of powers ranging from complete and total omnipotence, omnipresence (but they don't micro-manage or peek in on you in the shower) and omniscience to partial to you-have-to-scream-to-get-their-attention. The three that have total omniscience, omnipresence and omnipotence are actually forms of one: the Godhead itself, Vishnu and Shiva (whom I believe to be actually one) and Devī (devee, Goddess). They take many forms, manifestations, and avatars as needed.

For example, the 24 avatars of Vishnu (yes, there are more than 10); there are many manifestations of Shiva; Devī take forms such as Lakshmi, Saraswatī, Parvatī, Durgā, Kālī, Rādhā. Yet, these are not images or projections, they are real beings, existing simultaneously. That's how powerful God/dess is. In fact, two avatars of Vishnu existed on Earth at the same time.

Other demi-gods or deva-s are Ganesha, Hanuman, Indra, and a host of others, for example. They are extremely powerful also, and can take many forms, but not to the extent that Shiva/Vishnu/Devī is/are. It's just one of many views held in Hinduism. Ask 1.1 billion Hindus 1 question and you'll get 2.3 billion answers.
          śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
          śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I guess I think of myself as a sort of "soft polytheist". I follow the Wiccan ideas of Goddess and God, which I think are very real. But I also have my patron deities, Hera and Hades, that I do my closest work with. It's these deities, and the others that belong to a specific pantheon, that I'm still trying to figure out. And I guess it's possible that it's going to take me a very long time before I'm able to fully form these thoughts my head, much less be able to articulate.

- - - Updated - - -

I will add that I feel like I'm leaning away from the concept of Gods as archetypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              I believe there is an energy that exists within everything in the universe. In those vast empty spaces within the atoms. It might have already been identified and named by science, but not yet fully explored or understood, but generally I imagine it doesn't usually do much we could measure. It has no more awareness or consciousness than electromagnetism, or gravity. It just exists and does its thing, whatever that is, because that's just how the universe is.

BUT, when a self-aware and conscious mind interacts with it (and it needn't be consciously) it will take on a personality and become any deity or being or architype you could imagine. It contains all memories and all knowledge so has infinite wisdom.. you just need to learn to communicate with it.. which is easiest if you meet it through various beings.
              This really clicked with me.

I'd answered another sort of similar thread to this once before:

But I liked Jembru's explanation better than my original one. It definitely gives me something to think about

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
                This really clicked with me.

I'd answered another sort of similar thread to this once before:

But I liked Jembru's explanation better than my original one. It definitely gives me something to think about
                Then you'll be the first pagan to share a similar view that I know of. That would be pretty awesome!

Your explanation does read like a more poetic translation of my own experience of deity. I like it.

I've started think the 'god energy' is also what causes poltergeist activity (which reminds me, I have a story I want to share in the What are you Thinking About thread). It's often traced back to adolescents, so I think their minds interract with this energy in chaotic ways.

Comment

I really like Jembru's explanation as well!

But for myself, well, the concept of deity is a mess and it changes, depending on whether I am just woken up from a sleep paralysis at 2 AM or whether I am at some glorious nature spot in broad daylight. Go figure.

I have a brief background in Buddhism so I have carried with me this idea of deities being "not real" (oh the irony, the only place I could find this story was a pagan blog!) and being embodiments of enlightened energies such as compassion or wisdom. At the same time, there is something else to it. There is the wildness of pagan deities that I can't pin down and there are the countless poems I have written to a star goddess that has no name. There is the little atheist in me who finally wants to have some good wordly time without gods and guilt. And the one that doesn't know.

I am not a hard polytheist or a Wiccan type duotheist. This I know. Am I a pantheist? Perhaps. Am I a monotheist, focusing on the Goddess? Maybe, but she has many faces, many names and part of this all is just a rebellion against the idea of "the God". I don't know how sincere it can be if I choose a Goddess consciously over "The God" or "gods". (I used to be extremely cynical about goddess spirituality, that adds to it too.) I can't simply stand up and say "I worship/work with the Goddess" or even that I believe in a deity. I believe in something that is - what was that fine word again - numinous but I can't say there is something in this world that is inherently divine.

I think I really need to work on this question. Or maybe I just can stick to my good old "I don't know".To be honest, it feels a bit awkward to talk about deity "in public" like this but maybe this will clear things up a bit.
                  baah.

Comment

In my mind all matter(that includes US) are interconnected in ways that could never be explained with science. There is the idea of string theory that one atom can effect another atom even though they are very far apart.

As here.

The term is "Quantum entanglement"

So are we entangled with other living things,and even rocks and trees?

I myself am not all together sure,but I do "feel" the pull sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this one from "Wired" is better,and not restricted for reading.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Deity is an energy, maybe spiritual, that is looking for those who will be partners in the creation of the future. If you put all that energy into a single place it would be the "Creator" from which all flows. Although we are all interconnected some work within that system to improve the universe instead of focusing on this life or that life.
                      The deities are my partners and we work together.
                      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X