Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficult reconciliations

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: Difficult reconciliations

Gambling at ricks...I am shocked,shocked I tell you!!!
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

I've always avoided Heathen groups for these reasons. It is a problem that really isn't addressed and when it is addressed is usually beat back by deniers, apologists, or the "Yeah, but not everyone is..." excuse.

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Old Customs
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

When you're at Rick's, it's not gambling... just go ahead and give me your money...
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Sep 2012
    Religion
    Druid

I absolutely relate with the Heathen adoration and veneration of ancestor's, and the ritual practice rooted in that.
    “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Apr 2015
    Religion
    Megaliths and more...

The UK Heathen group I belong to, bans all discussion of politics on its Facebook page.

I'm aware that members have political beliefs across the spectrum. I've seen some of their posts on their own timelines and certainly I would disagree with some of their views, but there's nothing racist or grotesque (at least that I've seen!).

When I first started investigating Heathenry/Asatru I joined lots of groups on FB and unfollowed any that had overt political views, or allowed others to post them without comment or criticism.

Religious politics has a very poor reputation, regardless of the politicians beliefs. Overtly religious politicians have invariably been revealed to be colossal hypocrites and should be avoided.

Sep 2012
    Religion
    Druid

Sadly the change in philosophy when it came to what was acceptable to share came to be very recently.
    Groups online are fine, the major loss is the offline activity the group provided.
    “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

Still, it's only one group of many.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    Still, it's only one group of many.
    Depends where you live. Sometimes its the only game in town. It doesn't help if its one of many in a global sense if there's nothing else local.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2013
    Phrase
    Roses are red, violets are blue. The next one is false, the last one was true!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    When you're at Rick's, it's not gambling... just go ahead and give me your money...
    I bet you $5 that I'll lose the next bet