X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What if goddesses went modern?

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Don't know about that
    Fan of J-Pop, possibly the most objectifying form of pop from the most paedophilic culture in the world with serious problems with sex. Her choices of character traits reflect teenage interests, not feminism.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

The overall concept is great....the execution is crap (not because of the technique, because of the conceptualization is flawed--bad technique can be excused when it's a good idea).

Like this, is excellent:

Or this (not particularly deep, but IMO , better conceived)

Or these, though they lack the idea of modern symbolism.

Or...um....American Gods by Neil Gaiman?
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I actually kind of like the concept, and seeing deities re-imaged in movies, comics and media is something I've always found interesting (even when it's Marvel's version of the Norse deities!). I think the only true flaw (because the bad art isn't a flaw... art is a very personal, subjective thing and there are a LOT of very bad artists in the world, some of whom are selling their crappy art... but good on them for getting out there and doing what they love to do) is that the conceptualisation is a reflection of a modern attitude that I don't share. I think that the imaging of them as millennials fits with the conceptualising of them as millennials, and I think that viewers need to view them within the context that they were conceived and are presented within. Yes, the research is lacking, but this is hardly the first time that deities have been publicly pigeonholed into a new characterisation that is severely limited and one-dimensional.

I also think that we need to remember that Gen X,Y and previous are no longer 'modern'. We exist, but we aren't particularly relevant to the younger generation ruling 'modern social media'. Yes, that's kind of sad, and yes, I don't like it, but that's the way of the world.

Comment

Working...
        X