Yeh Like Dags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh Like Dags?

I've done a bit of research, but I was wondering what gods or goddesses have dogs as a sacred animal for them? Hekete and maybe Artemis (hunting dogs) and Hermes (shepherd dogs) are the only ones I can think of.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Yeh Like Dags?

Maybe Anubis? I'm not really very familiar with the egyptian pantheon, but I think it's kind of interesting that Hermes is connected with dogs and Anubis has a canine head and they both sometimes play a role as a 'psychopump' or 'guide of souls'.

Tried googling it out of curiosity, and I found this site with a bunch of suggestions:

In ancient civilizations, man's best friend was often man's most-worshipped divine being. (Though in many homes, maybe that's still the case.)

Comment

Artemis and Diana don't really have dogs as sacred animals as much as have them as hunting companions. So it gets sort of iffy as to whether they are sacred animals in that capacity.

Hekate has dogs but that is another that gets iffy in that she has black female puppies that are sacrificed to her but Hellene belief was also that the ghost of people came back in dog form which is why she had ghost dogs that where associated with her. So sort of gets complicated in that were dogs sacrificed to appease the spirits of the dead and her association with the dead and the dead taking the form of dog ghost or dogs in general. Figure dogs also play into the aspect of fertility and birthing due to the ease with which they both conceive and give birth which tied into her role as a fertility goddess along with Artemis and other goddess associated in that capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know if you've seen it but this talks about the duality of the dog in ancient Rome and Greece. http://www.folklore.ee/folklore/vol45/sergis.pdf
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Nehalennia, goddess of seafarers in northern Europe. A dog is part of her iconography. Many shrines to her have been discovered in Domberg and Walcheren - she was also known as the Steerswoman. Probably where the saying an old sea dog comes from
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
          Maybe Anubis? I'm not really very familiar with the egyptian pantheon, but I think it's kind of interesting that Hermes is connected with dogs and Anubis has a canine head and they both sometimes play a role as a 'psychopump' or 'guide of souls'.

Tried googling it out of curiosity, and I found this site with a bunch of suggestions:

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/dog-gods
          Thank you! This is a bit hit or miss (listing a kitsune as a dog, when it's a fox spirit/demon/Japanese word that doesn't quite translate), but it's a good starting point!

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          Don't know if you've seen it but this talks about the duality of the dog in ancient Rome and Greece. http://www.folklore.ee/folklore/vol45/sergis.pdf
          Thank you for clarifying about Artemis/Diana and Hekete. I haven't seen this PDF before, so I'll definitely look it over.

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          Nehalennia, goddess of seafarers in northern Europe. A dog is part of her iconography. Many shrines to her have been discovered in Domberg and Walcheren - she was also known as the Steerswoman. Probably where the saying an old sea dog comes from
          I've honestly never heard of Nehalennia, but I will definitely look into Her, thank you!

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
            Thank you! This is a bit hit or miss (listing a kitsune as a dog, when it's a fox spirit/demon/Japanese word that doesn't quite translate), but it's a good starting point!
            I saw that too and thought it was a little odd, but I think they included kitsunes since foxes are in the canidae family, just like dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
              I saw that too and thought it was a little odd, but I think they included kitsunes since foxes are in the canidae family, just like dogs.
              I suppose that's true, but I put a space between them in my head. Especially since they brought up Inari, who is specifically a fox god. But, you have a point.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I suppose that's true, but I put a space between them in my head. Especially since they brought up Inari, who is specifically a fox god. But, you have a point.
                Excuse the slight sidestep here but this is interesting to me. It's not something I thought about until I read your comment but come to think of it, I too see Fox as separate to Dog, yet I'll more willingly throw Dog and Wolf in together, I guess because of their shared genetics. I've actually never been lucky enough to be approached by either Wolf or Dog, despite so many other pagans and spirit workers having these as guides at one point or another. I know Fox though, and he's not very doglike in my opinion. He's the only spirit in my second world who usually speaks, and he's also the only one who isn't either the animal equivalent of one of my human guides, or an aspect of me. He's yet to reveal what his role is. He calls himself the 'narrator' or 'storyteller' depending how you want to translate 'katarite', but he won't explain what he means by that.

Anyway, sorry about that. Back to dog deities then!

Has anyone mentioned Nodens yet? He seems to be connected with dogs but as with the other Brythonic deities we've little besides a few inscriptions to go on. He seems to also have connections with the sea, so it's interesting that the goddess Tylluan mentioned, Nehalennia, is also associated both with seafaring and with dogs.

I'm still making my way through learning about the Brythonic deities so if I come by any others I'll let you know. I feel sure dogs have appeared on shrines to a few different deities but I'm afraid I don't remember any off the top of my head. I'll check my notes when I'm home in case there's anything there.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

7-ra, "Dog Temple".

Comment

Originally posted by Lapis_Ram View Post
                    7-ra, "Dog Temple".
                    Oh, that's really interesting. I don't know much about the Mesopotamian pantheon, so I'll look Her up. Thank you!

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Oh, that's really interesting. I don't know much about the Mesopotamian pantheon, so I'll look Her up. Thank you!
                      You're welcome! She's an excellent goddess to work with, I hope you have fun checking out the pantheon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lapis_Ram View Post
                        They used to carve little dog figurines with names such as and place them inside walls to ward off the Lamashtu demon.

OT, but as someone who lives in a household that names pets descriptively (occasionally in other languages), I love this. Sometimes I call our dog "Barks fiercely with swinging tail"
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          OT, but as someone who lives in a household that names pets descriptively (occasionally in other languages), I love this. Sometimes I call our dog "Barks fiercely with swinging tail"
                          That's adorable!

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                          X