Favourite seasons #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite seasons #2

We've actually had this conversation before a few years ago (here but it's in the catacombs so I'll leave it up to the mods as to whether it's worth merging this. The topic has popped up again in the rant thread and it has generated a fair bit of discussion so I thought it might be nice to give it it's own space.

So with that out of the way, do you have a favourite season? Is there a season you particularly don't enjoy? Why?

For me, I love the autumn. I especially love that first chill just as we enter the season. When I know I can switch to factor 30 instead of 50, and that my lovely cosy woolies can come out of the cupboard. I love being outside, wrapped up warm in pretty knitwear, kicking the leaves with JP. Ooh and soup! Autumn is soup season.

I'm not a fan of summer. I burn easily and the sun hurts my eyes. I have bad skin too and in direct sunlight you can really see the massive open pores. As a redhead my hair also shines golden in sunlight, so any hair I have on my body or face, even if it's just normal fine hair, is highlighted by the sun. But I also have sensitive skin, so if I pluck, trim or wax I end up with inflamed blotchy skin. There's a reason I prefer to work during the night!

We're having a cold snap at the minute. It's so cold that in parts of Scotland they had ground frost, and my car-driving colleagues told me there was frost on their windscreens yesterday morning. I had to put the heating on at work last night and the smell of the radiators heating up for the first tame made me feel giddy.

Sadly we're due for another heat wave next week, but I don't mind. Autumn will come sooner or later.. the heat can't last forever.

Mwahahahaha
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Favourite seasons #2

I really used to love summer when when I was much younger. But with all things concerning aging,the seasons changed for me. One reason I love fall and winter now,is they are not(or used to not be) erratic. Here summer is a series of warm and hot with a lot of thunder storms. The quick changing weather makes my joints hurt really bad,like a day before a thunder storm breaks,and a day after it is gone. Spring is also not a favorite anymore. also the bugs in summer and spring. In the small town where I lived for a while,where I was living you had to go outside to smoke.(I BTW have quit completely) in the back of the building in the parking lot we sat at a picnic table,and had to make our way through a CLOUD of flying bugs attracted by the outside lights. That swarm also attracted a LOT of spiders and the back wall was covered with blueberry size spiders.

So summer and spring sucked.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Not-Summer. I can deal with the heat (though I'm not fond of it), I'll survive the bugs (begrudgingly) but summer multiplies the idiot supply 10-20 times over and therefore **** off. All other seasons are about equal with high and low points. I'm lumping them into one giant season called Not-Summer.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Summer!

Everything is beautiful and golden in summer.

Also, I hate being cold and I don't have a problem dealing with the heat, usually. Actually, I work outside and I wear long sleeve shirts as sun protection. People often ask how I can stand long sleeves in the heat; you just get used to it and then it's like nothing. I don't like the cold... I don't hate winter though. There's beauty there as well; and I always liked Jack Frost and Santa, so I like winter too, but it's probably my least favorite season.

I was a late summer baby, so maybe that's part of it?

Comment

I like the non Southern California season. I'd like that right about now please.
          One Non Southern Cali season to go. Add the ice.

But my fave is fall. Right when the air starts to smell different and there is the hint of a cooler winter. Even though that just means like 70 degrees.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

When I was young, my favorite season was definitely Summer. I was well connected to Fire and Summer was my time. As I matured I found that each season possessed its own potential and my connections to the other season grew. I find the transition from one season to the next holds special potential for me now and I look forward to the change and the special energy it brings.
            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

My favorite has always been fall. Yep I like the leave change, the smells, the coold air. Also my birthday is in the fall. Followed by winter and spring and finally summer.
              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

It is interesting how we choose seasons and certain affinity's. Like cats or dogs,or loving the ocean,or maybe the desert. stormy VS sunny..Snow VS the warm beach. Hot and spicy VS smooth and sweet. has my mind wondering why we like the things we do..another topic for a thread? and a question:can you really explain just why you prefer one thing over another? is it kind of just how you are,or is it nurture or nature?..way to many questions..
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  For me, I love the autumn. I especially love that first chill just as we enter the season... and that my lovely cosy woolies can come out of the cupboard. I love being outside, wrapped up warm in pretty knitwear, kicking the leaves... Ooh and soup! Autumn is soup season.

I'm not a fan of summer. I burn easily and the sun hurts my eyes... Sadly we're due for another heat wave next week, but I don't mind. Autumn will come sooner or later.. the heat can't last forever.

Mwahahahaha
                  First those strange deities, then the herbalism, now this, the favourite season and the reason for it? Jembru we are eerily similar, sometimes!

Genuinely I quoted you word for word because it is exactly the justification I would have written. If there's one season England can do really well, it's autumn.

- - - Updated - - -

The dust of the recently harvested,
                  stubbl'y cornfields in the late afternoon,
                  The ev'r pleasing scent of chilled bonfire smoke,
                  The lengthening nights, the conquering moon.

Autumn's crisp air is like fresh spring water,
                  Fuel for a long and brisk walk in the woods,
                  Spotting so much of what's up for offer,
                  Come home to store up with bags of wild goods.

A time of ageing juxtaposed against
                  An ageless tradition preserving fruit gluts,
                  Jars full of fruit jams, jellies and chutneys,
                  Drying, in the oven, the herbs and nuts.

Go on, tell me you don't love autumn.
                  I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                  Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                  But that day you know I left my money
                  And I thought of you only
                  All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Summer, no doubt about it. Everything is full of life, the days are long, thunderstorms happen frequently, etc. Summer is a very magical time for me and I'm always at my happiest when it's Summertime. There is nothing like sitting outside on a warm summer night and looking at the stars while crickets, frogs and other animals make their noises. This year has been very unique as Mars and Saturn have been in opposition all summer. I've spent countless nights this summer gazing upon the planets, meditating and praying. The Summer Solstice is a very bittersweet event for me as it is the sun's height, but it also when the darkness wins and the days slowly begin to start getting shorter.

I believe that every season has it's own "persona" and I revere them all, but with that being said winter is my least favorite season. The days are shorter and everything is just "dead" and silent. I'm not going to go into too much detail, but I suffer from a physical illness and the cold air is absolute hell on my joints. Besides, I was never too fond of the cold to begin with. It's like during the cold months I withdraw into a shell and when it begins to get warm again I shed that shell
                    "Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer,
                    The future's uncertain and the end is always near"

Comment

Spring. I like seeing things coming to life, and enjoying sunny days without it being ungodly humid (like it is right now).
                      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I personally love going outside and taking walks, but summer is often too hot and humid to comfortably go out (and I hate sweating, since my body gets itchy when I do) and winter too cold, so I really prefer spring and autumn. But also, something about the way things look in spring and autumn really makes me become thoughtful and just want to take in the environment as much as I can.

Comment

I'm with you all the way Jembru. I was born in Summer, but I can't stand it. I hate the heat! I love Fall. This is partly because my favorite Sabbat is in the Fall. I also love it because the leaves are changing and everything is cooling down. I can't wait till Fall comes!
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

It used to be summer until the last few years. Now it's mostly fall with a bit of spring. That's when it rains the most here and I love the rain. The wetta the betta.
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                            X