Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Ancient Goddess Discovered?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: New Ancient Goddess Discovered?

Quote Originally Posted by lightdragon View Post
    anything on Italian or Etruscan folklore that I know of was solely from Grimassi. a lesser extent from Monsno. but never to my knowledge of Uni.
    I am not a big fan of Grimassi,nothing personal,but I find him more interested in "Profit" than education on things.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

I love this kind of stuff--cryptoreligious findings, I guess is the term. As technology makes archaeology safer, I hope we continue to discover more of the gods that time buried.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

For anyone interested in Etruscan religion, these are the four books I recommend:

Etruscan Life and Afterlife: A Handbook of Etruscan Studies edited by Larissa Bonfante (several contributors, including Nancy TdeG)
    Etruscan Myth, Sacred History, and Legend by Nancy Thompson de Grummond
    The Religion of the Etruscans also by Nancy Thompson de Grummond
    Etruscan Civilization: A Cultural History by Sybille Haynes (less about religion, more for the cultural context of that religion)

Also, possibly of interest is a book called The Divine Liver by Rev. Skip Ellison (an ADF member), about the practice of haruspicy as practiced by the Etruscans and Romans.
    Last edited by thalassa; 31 Aug 2016 at 04:01.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Here the contents page so you can see what's in it

CONTENTS
    Editors’ Note vii
    List of Abbreviations viii
    Contributors to This Volume ix
    Preface xi
    W. Jeffrey Tatum
    I. Introduction: The History of the Study of Etruscan Religion 1
    Nancy Thomson de Grummond
    I I . Etruscan Inscriptions and Etruscan Religion 9
    Larissa Bonfante
    I I I . Prophets and Priests 27
    IV. Gods in Harmony: The Etruscan Pantheon 45
    Erika Simon
    V. The Grave and Beyond in Etruscan Religion 66
    Ingrid Krauskopf
    VI . Votive Offerings in Etruscan Religion 90
    Jean MacIntosh Turfa
    VII . Ritual Space and Boundaries in Etruscan Religion 116
    Ingrid E. M. Edlund-Berry
    VIII. Sacred Architecture and the Religion of the Etruscans 132
    Giovanni Colonna
    Glossary 169
    Appendix A: The Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar 173
    Jean MacIntosh Turfa
    Appendix B: Selected Latin and Greek Literary Sources on Etruscan Religion 191
    Index 219

Been awhile since I read it so there may have been updates to individual sections but it was highly praised at the time and was a must read book on the Etruscan's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    I am not a big fan of Grimassi,nothing personal,but I find him more interested in "Profit" than education on things.
    He's one that tries or tried to tie everything and anything remotely connected to Italy and its history to Stregheria. Which I think made him a hero for a lot of budding new agey stregherian's but really removed any consideration his works might have had for fringe groups looking at Italian influenced practices. The fact it has little to not actual connection to actual Italian practice didn't matter. I noticed some of his works have been republished and now have dropped the Strega title and simply go with Italian Witchcraft.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!