• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

super typhoon hits Taiwan.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty intense video of the storm.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: super typhoon hits Taiwan.

The news lists this as a "super Typhoon" and category 5 with winds of 135mph.
    I'm sorry folks but that isn't even the top of the category 4 typhoon.
    How does the news get away with this crap?

Category
    1 74-95 mph
    64-82 kt
    119-153 km/h
    Very dangerous winds will produce some damage: Well-constructed frame homes could have damage to roof, shingles, vinyl siding and gutters. Large branches of trees will snap and shallowly rooted trees may be toppled. Extensive damage to power lines and poles likely will result in power outages that could last a few to several days.
    2 96-110 mph
    83-95 kt
    154-177 km/h
    Extremely dangerous winds will cause extensive damage: Well-constructed frame homes could sustain major roof and siding damage. Many shallowly rooted trees will be snapped or uprooted and block numerous roads. Near-total power loss is expected with outages that could last from several days to weeks.
    (major)
    111-129 mph
    96-112 kt
    178-208 km/h
    Devastating damage will occur: Well-built framed homes may incur major damage or removal of roof decking and gable ends. Many trees will be snapped or uprooted, blocking numerous roads. Electricity and water will be unavailable for several days to weeks after the storm passes.
    (major)
    130-156 mph
    113-136 kt
    209-251 km/h
    Catastrophic damage will occur: Well-built framed homes can sustain severe damage with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and power poles downed. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.
    (major)
    157 mph or higher
    137 kt or higher
    252 km/h or higher
    Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.
    Last edited by DragonsFriend; 14 Sep 2016, 12:40.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

This grave injustice in editing of a tabloid paper must be corrected.

Comment

If it was just one source it wouldn't matter but its all the major sources. It's like they are trying to prove that global climate change is causing more severe storms. The problem is that this class 4 storm is the "most severe" of the year. Everyone get on the bandwagon and lie to prove a point that can be proven with the truth.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.

Comment

Impeccable science and sources you got there.

Comment

Waiting for the reply when a super storm floats over your area and drops 6 inches of rain in 3 hours as happened outside Baltimore

here.
            Last edited by anunitu; 15 Sep 2016, 16:01.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

There is a point in that I always find the Weather Channel's coverage of any tropical system to be hilarious.

It could be a minor tropical storm and the headline is like, "Tropical Storm Whatever preparing to devastate Gulf Coast with fury and intensity."

Like calm down for reals. We don't get out of bed for less than a category three down there.

And the Local on the 8's daily forecast for the storm cracks me up. "For your area: Today, windy with rain."

Thanks for the heads up on that tidbit guys.

Comment

One word....Snowmageddon

Yeh,I just made this up.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  How does the news get away with this crap?
                  Probably the same way you just posted the chart from the National Hurricane Center, but missed the last sentence of the introduction that clearly said:

In the western North Pacific, the term "super typhoon" is used for tropical cyclones with sustained winds exceeding 150 mph.
                  Tropical cyclones have several different scales of measurement, depending on the agency in charge of the location of the storm--the Saffir-Simpson Scale (the one the NHC uses) is only one. For example, tropical cyclones past the anti-meridian, to the 100th are classified by the Japan Meteorological Agency using the RSMC Tokyo Tropical Cyclone Intensity Scale. In this case, a Super Typhoon, is a classification of the JTWC, or Joint Typhoon Warning Center, an Air Force-Navy joint command that handles the Northwestern and Southern Pacific and Indian Oceans, and classifies typhoons for the basis of protection of maritime and aviation assets. Further more, there are differences in how measurements are taken between agencies, leading to different wind speeds and different classifications, depending on the data in question.

What are the description labels used with tropical cyclones by JTWC?

A: In the North Pacific Ocean, a tropical cyclone with an estimated intensity of less than 34 knots is designated a "Tropical Depression" and a tropical cyclone with an estimated intensity between 34 and 63 knots is designated a "Tropical Storm." Within the eastern and central North Pacific, a tropical cyclone with an estimate intensity of 64 knots or greater is called a "Hurricane." Within the western North Pacific, however, a tropical cyclone with an estimated intensity between 64 and 129 knots is called a "Typhoon," while a tropical cyclone of 130 knots or greater is designated a "Super Typhoon." In the Indian Ocean and South Pacific, JTWC labels ALL tropical cyclones as "Tropical Cyclone," regardless of estimated intensity.
                  Q: How are JTWC forecasts different than forecasts issued by tropical cyclone warning centers (TCWCs) of other countries?

A: JTWC and RSMC/TCWC tropical cyclone warnings may differ for several reasons. One difference is the measurement of maximum sustained surface winds. JTWC reports the maximum sustained surface winds in tropical disturbances and cyclones in terms of 1-minute mean wind speed, as required by the U.S. National Hurricane Operations Plan. Other nations, however, report maximum sustained surface winds averaged over a different time interval, which in many cases is 10-minutes. The difference generally means that JTWC will report higher maximum sustained surface wind speeds than non-U.S tropical cyclone forecasting centers for the same cyclone. Another difference is that JTWC will issue forecasts out to 120 hours as required by U.S. DoD. Several TCWCs will transmit forecasts that extend to a period less than 120 hours. Finally, JTWC does not apply the same tropical cyclone numbering scheme used by the regional centers. Hence, the cyclone number assigned by JTWC may not match the numerical designation assigned to the same cyclone by the responsible RSMC/TCWC.

from the JTWC

...None of which has anything to do with climate change.

Here is how they all compare:
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by thalassa; 16 Sep 2016, 06:49.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

The truth lies somewhere just below your flooded town...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I almost bought some land along a river once, but when checking it out I found that the river floods and changes its course every 50 to 100 years. I bought land on a mountain instead. I am well above any flood because I planned for it. I am outside of major earthquake and tornado zones too. We do get about two weeks of fog each year but that is about the worst of it. People who live along rivers have to know that floods have happened in the past and will probably happen in the future. If you choose to live in nature's way you have to accept the risks associated with it. Either plan for the worst or rebuild when the inevitable happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X