What creeps you out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What creeps you out?

I was reading an interesting article about the theory of creepiness - What makes a thing "creepy," as opposed to "frightening."

From the article - A theory of creepiness::

So what (aside from clowns and mimes) do you find creepy?

Personally, I am totally creeped out by the mere thought of parasitic worms and the actuality of discovering a leach on my body.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: What creeps you out?

I can't stand spiders. I pretty much can't stand anything of the insect family except butterflies, moths, and lightning bugs. I find bugs creepy. I understand we need some of them, but I just can't stand to look at them, especially spiders.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I am with you on the insects and spiders...butterflies are ok as are mouths(Bugs bug me) worms are also cool..earth ones,not night crawlers.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Maggots. They are hideous.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
          Maggots. They are hideous.
          I used to feel that way till they kept showing up in our trash cans. Now I'm like yup, eat it all up boys.

old paunchy men with their short sleeve shirts unbuttoned to their fat hairy belly. Makes my skin crawl.

any of my longhair after a shower touching any parts of my body. Especially the long strand down my butt crack or at my ankle. Long haired girls/guys will totally understand.

roaches.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Ahhh,forgot about roaches..may they burn in the darkest part of hell...But most likely they will survive...
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

June bugs caught in my hair.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                I was reading an interesting article about the theory of creepiness - What makes a thing "creepy," as opposed to "frightening."
                crawl on me!
                Last edited by DavidMcCann; 20 Sep 2016, 08:24.

Comment

If I am honest with myself it's not usually visuals that creep me out it's smells and audibles that get me. Especially so if they hit in certain combinations where visuals are removed or limited to nothing. Sometimes the wind howling down from the ridgeline can make an awful sound that sends shivers up the spine and sounds unearthly. Yet you can clearly see nothing is there just the tree's moving and maybe the sky darkened, maybe not. That or some scent carried on the wind that both reeks yet is sweet to the point it makes you sick to smell it but is creepy as it is so unusual and out of place.

Operation Wandering Soul is a perfect example of sounds that I would find creepy
                  Last edited by monsno_leedra; 20 Sep 2016, 09:16.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    June bugs caught in my hair.
                    You know those big shiny metallic huge beetle bugs that fly? I was riding my bike and I HEARD it just fly into my face. MY FACE!!! I could not pedal away from it.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Earwigs creep me out. Adult men being way too friendly with young kids (not necessarily touching them, just being what I feel is way too friendly). People who keep unnecessarily close to me to talk (especially if I don't know them).
                      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I'm with you on the earwigs. Not fear really, just, icky creepy. That was the first thing I thought of.

There is a kind of cultural tone with some older men in this area that creeps me out. It is a very patriarchal culture here, and the tone is intended to be comforting and caring, but it makes me feel unsafe. I know they generally mean well, and I know I can safely walk away. I'm pretty sure that most of them are fine. Still, I find it creepy.

Comment

Cockroaches, outer space, and the ocean. I don't necessarily want to touch any creepy-crawly thing, but cockroaches can go to hell, go directly to hell. You don't have to have a dirty house to have them around here, and these little bastards can fly! The other night a cockroach crawled right up to me on the kitchen counter. I shrieked like a girl.

Outer space creeps me out just because of its vastness and because it makes me think of how delicate everything really is.

The ocean is creepy also because of vastness, but also because of what lurks beneath. I still go in it, but I don't swim well, so not too far out, and whenever I step on rocks and stuff it makes me cringe because I'm afraid it's a turtle or something.

That's an interesting explanation. Someone, I think it might have been Mary Shelley, but don't quote me on that, said something to the effect of, horror is smelling death while terror is bumping into a corpse. That would make horror more akin to dread.
                          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Bees. They are like little creeps with wings that want nothing more than to buy your soul lolol Spiders are okay but bees... ehhhhhhh :P

Comment

Whales. I don't know why. I realised how creepy they are while watching Free Willy when I was a kid.

Old dolls are creepy as hell, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X