Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kirtan and using voice in meditation.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Re: Kirtan and using voice in meditation.

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    It's all reminiscent to me of the story of creation and how God uses the spoken word to create. There's a link there I'm not fully comprehending as yet.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...+1&version=KJV

Well that or I can pull quotes from CS Lewis but John 1:1 is faster.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

I've not specifically heard of or explored Kirtan before, but using sound and music for trance is a very common practice for me. Most shamanic traditions, both indigenous and neo-, have sound as one of the pathways to reaching a journey state... drums, rattles, percussion instruments or voice. Usually the voice will be wordless chants and noises, but it depends on the tradition. Personally, I use a drum, because I find my own voice a bit dissonant and it's distracting.

There is also a precedent for using voice and chanting in Northern paths. The Lore has stories of the Volva having handmaidens who chant a special chant to put her into an oracular state (the lady of the homestead could also do this if she new the words). Modern seidhr workers will often use chants to help them reach a trance state.

There is anecdotal evidence of modern NT spirit workers being given songs and tunes by the spirits they work with for the purposes of devotion and invocation. While it's not explicitly supported in the Lore, it makes sense given the information we have about the practices of seidhr, about the neighbouring Saami shamans, and about the importance of poetry and the craft of the skald. Putting it all together would suggest that the voice, storytelling and chanting was important in the Viking Age, and possible prior to that (many NTers have a focus on pre-Viking-Age Europe and Scandinavia).

Modern rune workers (including me) have a chant system for invoking runes, too. I'm not 100% sold on the claim that this is a traditional practice (as I've not found evidence of it)... it seems to be a relatively modern practice stemming from the runic revival, where some Eastern techniques were blending with European traditions. But it can be a very effective and profound practice.

So yes, I think that sound... or perhaps more accurately... resonance, can be an incredibly powerful tool for reaching trance states and all the practices that we do while in that state of consciousness.

Oct 2014
    Religion
    Hinduism with a dash of Heathenry

Quote Originally Posted by Rae'ya View Post
    There is also a precedent for using voice and chanting in Northern paths. The Lore has stories of the Volva having handmaidens who chant a special chant to put her into an oracular state (the lady of the homestead could also do this if she new the words). Modern seidhr workers will often use chants to help them reach a trance state.
    There is the story of Groa singing charms to attempt to remove the shards of whetstone from Thor's forehead. So if singing/chanting is used for a god, it must be pretty powerful.

Back to Hindu/Indian thought: Here's something that may be of interest. It references John 1:1 also, as MaskedOne did:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ok/nadabrahma/nadabrahma.html
    http://www.overgrownpath.com/2014/09...nd-is-god.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C4%81da_yoga
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirtan

I know that is all getting a bit metaphysical and mystical, but it shows how seriously music is taken.
    Last edited by Thorbjorn; 03 Oct 2016 at 05:48.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ