Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are Your Thoughts on using Crystals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are Your Thoughts on using Crystals?

I'm amazed this isn't already a topic, or maybe it has sunk deep into the depths of the catacombs. I'm wondering how others feel about the use of crystals in their craft/path/working or whatever you want to call it.

When I was starting out I was a bit of a crystal hoarder. In fact, I still have boxes of stones stored neatly by colour in my witchy wardrobe. I used to love the idea that those pretty little chunks of quartz could affect my physical and spiritual bodies and promote healing, or channel and enhance my magical work.

As time went by I started to learn about the harmful ways that these stones are extracted from the earth and this made me feel uncomfortable when working with them. It was almost as though they started to feel 'dead' to me. Like there was no special energy in them at all.

I all but stopped using them with a few exceptions. I have a citrine quartz near where I study, and there are a few clear quartz shards on a shelf in the living-room. For meditating and connecting to the earth element, I started using regular rocks that I either found or acquired. I guess there was also a feeling that crystals were a little 'new agey' and maybe I felt that regular rocks were more earthy and pagan ...whatever that means.

Yet while rethinking my path lately, I came by stories from 10-15 years ago that reminded me of how seemingly powerful working with crystals could be. Then while studying druidism and Celtic spirituality it seems that crystals pop up fairly often. Indeed, a lot of ancient civilisations held crystals in high regard. When I'm meditating I feel like I want to be holding something in my hands, like when I used to meditate with crystals. It's all making me want to start exploring them again, but I still can't shake the feeling of unease about using them.

How do others feel about using crystals? Do you regularly work with crystals yourself? How do you reconcile the fact that they've been extracted, often aggressively, from their rightful place within the earth's crust? Do you feel they have a special spiritual energy or do you believe their power comes from their unique molecular structure?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: What are Your Thoughts on using Crystals?

I use crystals in my work and daily life pretty regularly, and have built up quite a collection of both raw and polished stones. Stones have two sources of properties to me... the innate associations that come from their colour, molecular structure and physical properties... and their connection to the landspirit or stonespirit from which they came. Not all stones retain a connection to their landspirit or stonespirit. Some are 'dead'. I select my stones very carefully, by feel and the way my energy interacts with theirs. Sometimes I'll go in for a particular stone, but not buy it because I just can't find one that still has any energy about it. Sometimes I come out with another piece of a stone that I already have, because that's what wants to come home with me. I have a reputation at the store we buy a lot of our stones from for always choosing the unusual pieces... I often pick up the imperfect, ugly, misshapen or pieces with inclusions in them, because those are the ones that speak to me and still have some piece of their original rock spirit. So yes, I am very picky about what stones I choose, but usually not in the way that people expect collectors to be picky!

Regarding the mining techniques... My understanding is that most stones and crystals that are not jewelry quality are byproducts of other mining endeavors, or are mined by hand by fossickers and prospectors (one store I buy my stones and jewelry from is a family who travels around and fossicks the stones themselves, or purchases off other fossickers who are selling little bits and pieces, or large chunks of rock that may have stones in them). My understanding is that the mining of stones and crystals usually has less of an environmental impact than the mining of the metal used to make them into a ring or necklace. So it's a question of priorities for me. No, I don't like large or medium scale mining practices. But I live in a house, I drive a car, I use a computer, I use a smartphone, I use appliances... everything around me is made of metal or plastic or some other substance that has negative environmental impact in it's creation. Short of becoming a hermit living in a mudbrick house in the middle of nowhere, I can't escape being a consumer of things that have caused the environment harm. I do try to reduce my personal impact, but my stones and crystals are fairly low on my list of things that cause negative impact.

Regarding the rocks and stones being extracted aggressively... they are energetically very resilient. They don't seem to mind being cracked, whacked, dropped, and otherwise treated 'roughly'. Think about the pressures and forces that they go through to be created! My experience of them is that they don't need to be treated gently and they don't suffer any inherent energetic damage from being torn out of the earth aside from many of them losing their link to that earth (which does render them of less interest to me... I like that connection and that spark of life in my stones). Some people think that raw stones are less 'damaged' than polished stones... but polished stones just go through a water and sand tumbler to mimic the effect of water erosion. It's not particularly traumatic for them.

There are stones that go through heat, pressure and radiation in order to create different colours that mimic natural varieties of that stone, or other stones (citrine quartz is one of those, as is most smokey quartz). Some are not natural stones at all, but reconstituted from resin and powders (many turquoise is reconstituted, as is some lapis lazuli). Some stones are quartz that has had a thin layer of certain minerals or metals adhered to it's surface under heat and pressure. These are the ones that I find less useful to me... the ones that are altered by man. Yes, those alterations can add certain properties to the original stone (they don't necessarily kill it... they can actually enhance it), but I don't feel overly comfortable with the processes and byproducts of those processes by which they are altered. I've been working with crystals and stones since I was 13, and I only just bought my first piece of turquoise last year (I'm now 31), because I couldn't find any natural pieces that I felt anything from. I doubt that I will ever own any of the new generation altered quartzes.

As far as how they work. My experience is that they work on our energetic bodies, not our physical bodies. I don't think that stones can heal our physical body. I think they help align our energetic and mental bodies, which may then have an effect on our physical bodies. As an amateur energy worker, I believe that there are physical ailments which are rooted in our energy bodies (particularly idiopathic syndromes like chronic fatigue) and that addressing that root cause will help address the physical symptoms (incidentally, most mental illness does not fall into this category for me... most mental illness is due to imbalances in brain chemistry). I think that stones and crystals can help with changing and enhancing the energy patterns of our bodies, but I've never successfully used crystals to cure a migraine! So I don't actually use stones for healing, I use them to add a particular energy flavour to my work, or to help me focus on particular thoughts or behaviour patterns, or to create charms that promote or enhance a particular energy in a room or a person.

Comment

I'm actually going to chime in on something that isn't all 'no god'ish.

Just the facts. I have studied and have my own tarot cards (the Thoth deck)

I don't do it anymore

When I did I would use a clear quartz to clear my head. Don't know if it worked to be honest. Buuuuut, when using an amethyst I would become very emotional and actually stopped wearing it.

I don't know anything about it other than that.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        I use crystals in my work and daily life pretty regularly, and have built up quite a collection of both raw and polished stones. Stones have two sources of properties to me... the innate associations that come from their colour, molecular structure and physical properties... and their connection to the landspirit or stonespirit from which they came. Not all stones retain a connection to their landspirit or stonespirit. Some are 'dead'. I select my stones very carefully, by feel and the way my energy interacts with theirs. Sometimes I'll go in for a particular stone, but not buy it because I just can't find one that still has any energy about it. Sometimes I come out with another piece of a stone that I already have, because that's what wants to come home with me. I have a reputation at the store we buy a lot of our stones from for always choosing the unusual pieces... I often pick up the imperfect, ugly, misshapen or pieces with inclusions in them, because those are the ones that speak to me and still have some piece of their original rock spirit. So yes, I am very picky about what stones I choose, but usually not in the way that people expect collectors to be picky!

Regarding the mining techniques... My understanding is that most stones and crystals that are not jewelry quality are byproducts of other mining endeavors, or are mined by hand by fossickers and prospectors (one store I buy my stones and jewelry from is a family who travels around and fossicks the stones themselves, or purchases off other fossickers who are selling little bits and pieces, or large chunks of rock that may have stones in them). My understanding is that the mining of stones and crystals usually has less of an environmental impact than the mining of the metal used to make them into a ring or necklace. So it's a question of priorities for me. No, I don't like large or medium scale mining practices. But I live in a house, I drive a car, I use a computer, I use a smartphone, I use appliances... everything around me is made of metal or plastic or some other substance that has negative environmental impact in it's creation. Short of becoming a hermit living in a mudbrick house in the middle of nowhere, I can't escape being a consumer of things that have caused the environment harm. I do try to reduce my personal impact, but my stones and crystals are fairly low on my list of things that cause negative impact.

Regarding the rocks and stones being extracted aggressively... they are energetically very resilient. They don't seem to mind being cracked, whacked, dropped, and otherwise treated 'roughly'. Think about the pressures and forces that they go through to be created! My experience of them is that they don't need to be treated gently and they don't suffer any inherent energetic damage from being torn out of the earth aside from many of them losing their link to that earth (which does render them of less interest to me... I like that connection and that spark of life in my stones). Some people think that raw stones are less 'damaged' than polished stones... but polished stones just go through a water and sand tumbler to mimic the effect of water erosion. It's not particularly traumatic for them.

There are stones that go through heat, pressure and radiation in order to create different colours that mimic natural varieties of that stone, or other stones (citrine quartz is one of those, as is most smokey quartz). Some are not natural stones at all, but reconstituted from resin and powders (many turquoise is reconstituted, as is some lapis lazuli). Some stones are quartz that has had a thin layer of certain minerals or metals adhered to it's surface under heat and pressure. These are the ones that I find less useful to me... the ones that are altered by man. Yes, those alterations can add certain properties to the original stone (they don't necessarily kill it... they can actually enhance it), but I don't feel overly comfortable with the processes and byproducts of those processes by which they are altered. I've been working with crystals and stones since I was 13, and I only just bought my first piece of turquoise last year (I'm now 31), because I couldn't find any natural pieces that I felt anything from. I doubt that I will ever own any of the new generation altered quartzes.

As far as how they work. My experience is that they work on our energetic bodies, not our physical bodies. I don't think that stones can heal our physical body. I think they help align our energetic and mental bodies, which may then have an effect on our physical bodies. As an amateur energy worker, I believe that there are physical ailments which are rooted in our energy bodies (particularly idiopathic syndromes like chronic fatigue) and that addressing that root cause will help address the physical symptoms (incidentally, most mental illness does not fall into this category for me... most mental illness is due to imbalances in brain chemistry). I think that stones and crystals can help with changing and enhancing the energy patterns of our bodies, but I've never successfully used crystals to cure a migraine! So I don't actually use stones for healing, I use them to add a particular energy flavour to my work, or to help me focus on particular thoughts or behaviour patterns, or to create charms that promote or enhance a particular energy in a room or a person.
        Thanks for the thorough reply. It's definitely a comfort to read about someone else's experience of working with crystals. Sometimes all I need is to see that it's okay to do something and no one's going to judge me for it. I guess try as I might, I still have a few hang-ups left over from that period in time when everyone was scared of looking silly or horror of horrors, being judged as 'fluffy' by their fellow pagan-folk!!

While reading your reply I came to the decision that on Monday when I have the place to myself I'm going to sit down with my collection and go through it seeing which stones I have a good feeling from and which I feel nothing, or even get a negative feeling from. I think that would be a good place to start. Those that I get nothing from, I'll take to the moot and let my new pagan friends pick out any they might be drawn to. I'd rather have just 4 or 5 stones that work well for me than a stack of storage trays full of crystals that do nothing for me.

I have a couple more questions though. I'm going to assume you don't mind! ^^

- Could a crystal lose its spiritual connection to the earth if it has been in storage for a long time? Essentially becoming a dead crystal? Or can they always be revived with a bit of a cleanse and recharge?
        - When I was talking about the violent ways in which stones are extracted, I was mainly talking about the old debate about the environmental impact of many of the mining practices used today. Have you been able to reconcile this? I know some sellers will specify that their stones are ethically sourced but I can't shake the feeling of regret that previously untouched areas of natural beauty are blasted open to rip these rocks from their resting place, even if they're usually just the bi-product of mining for other ores.

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        I'm actually going to chime in on something that isn't all 'no god'ish.

Just the facts. I have studied and have my own tarot cards (the Thoth deck)

I don't do it anymore

When I did I would use a clear quartz to clear my head. Don't know if it worked to be honest. Buuuuut, when using an amethyst I would become very emotional and actually stopped wearing it.

I don't know anything about it other than that.
        Gosh, I'm honoured! This is a rare event indeed.

You've made me want to share the experience that made me start thinking about the crystals again (sorry if I've told this story before).

When I was about 24 I had been wearing a piece of hematite around my neck to help me ground myself because I felt all over the place mentally. It didn't seem to be helping and if anything I felt worse and worse. I felt dizzy, distracted, tired all the time and just generally yucky. I was working as an enabler at the time and was supporting someone to attend a holistic healing event for people with learning disabilities. A crystal healer had been invited along so I decided to speak to her. She explained that hematite will draw energy towards the part of the body you've placed it at, so rather than ground me, it was concentrating all my energy around my throat. She then placed a necklace of flourite around my neck, and in one hand placed a piece of rose quartz and a piece of carnelian and in my other hand she placed a piece of smokey quartz. She then asked me to sit like that for a few minutes and she left the room.

I felt amazing! I felt calmer and more 'aligned' to use the terminology. I was so blown away by the whole experience that I commissioned a flourite necklace of my own, although it's a lot shorter than the one she used. I started repeating the same stone placements myself at home and I felt great every time. In fact, some days I would leave the necklace on all day and carry the other stones in my pockets. Even retelling the story now, I feel calmer just thinking about it!

After I read that story again while going through my old journals I actually recharged that necklace and wore it for work for a few nights. I don't know if it was all a placebo, but I can't deny that I feel amazing whenever I replicate that crystal placement. It's weird too, because she just selected the stones with her intuition. It was probably just what I needed that day, to combat the hematite, and yet no other crystal arrangement has been able to make me feel the same way. It's very strange.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
          How do others feel about using crystals? Do you regularly work with crystals yourself? How do you reconcile the fact that they've been extracted, often aggressively, from their rightful place within the earth's crust? Do you feel they have a special spiritual energy or do you believe their power comes from their unique molecular structure?
          I use them, but not as extensively as I use herbs. For a lot of this, I've got to go with Rae'ya on this (I could quibble on some details, but overall, what she said!).

Also, The kiddos do pebble meditation, like this:
          Today’s Song Story is for “Pebble Meditation”, track #9 on our album, “EARTH”. We all need a break. We all need to pause more. We all need to slow down. We all need he…
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            I have a couple more questions though. I'm going to assume you don't mind! ^^

- Could a crystal lose its spiritual connection to the earth if it has been in storage for a long time? Essentially becoming a dead crystal? Or can they always be revived with a bit of a cleanse and recharge?
            - When I was talking about the violent ways in which stones are extracted, I was mainly talking about the old debate about the environmental impact of many of the mining practices used today. Have you been able to reconcile this? I know some sellers will specify that their stones are ethically sourced but I can't shake the feeling of regret that previously untouched areas of natural beauty are blasted open to rip these rocks from their resting place, even if they're usually just a bi-product of mining for other ores.
            You know I don't mind at all, Jem!

1. That's a good question... mine never have, but I guess it's possible. Remember that a dead stone still has physical properties though... and not everyone believes the same things I do. People have success working with stones that I feel are dead and vice versa. I value the residual connection to the stonespirit and landspirit, but not everyone does.

I don't charge my stones, and I rarely cleanse them anymore. When I do charge, it's for a specific purpose or charm rather than to revive them. Maybe there's a difference in whether the stone has a spark or not? A dead stone can hold a charge for a short period of time, and is more influenced by the energies around it, perhaps because it is 'empty'. Maybe that's a better term to use than 'dead'? My stones don't seem to need charging, but I do keep small bracelet chips for use in charms that I charge before adding to the mix... these chips are usually dead (nay, empty). I like stones with their own spirit, and they are fairly low maintenance... maybe that's because they aren't empty. Does that make sense?

2. I reconcile it by putting my consumerism in perspective, like I said in my original reply. My bookcases and books and candle holders all have environmental impact. Either I stop being a consumer, or I try to make ethical buying choices. Some products don't have an ethical choice... anything that is made of metal, stones, carbon, oil, petroleum, natural gas or other mined resource is going to cause significant environmental impact. But I think in the end, my stones have less impact than my computer, and in many ways are of more benefit to me, so I feel comfortable with their use. I'm a big picture sort of a person though... we all have to decide where our personal comfort zone lies.

Also, I don't think that the stones themselves are affected by the traumatic processes of mining. Rocks are resilient, and they are just one part of the landspirit of a place. While the landspirit may form a scar or be damaged by large scale mining, the individual rocks just get on with it as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              I use them, but not as extensively as I use herbs. For a lot of this, I've got to go with Rae'ya on this (I could quibble on some details, but overall, what she said!).

Also, The kiddos do pebble meditation, like this:
              https://charitykahn.wordpress.com/20...ditation-song/
              Quibble away, Thal... we may have a good discussion and I may learn something

Comment

Just popping by to say I'm not ignoring this thread. I just want to reply when I have a bit more time to sit down and write everything I want to say, but more importantly, I want to wait until I get a chance to sit down with my stones (I've had some free time over the last 2 days, but I've had a lot to write up following my equinox ritual and that's sapped my time!).

Your reply has helped though Rae'ya. I guess most of us have to make difficult ethical decisions in our lives, weighing up health/cost/ethics. There are also the positives I guess. Like the fact that these stones often come from poorer parts of the world and provide an important source of economic growth.

That's all I've time for for now but I will be back!

Comment

I'm working on getting the time to reply here like I'd like to...but homework and illness has kept me busy.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been using crystals more lately. I have an amethyst that I've had since I was young that I wear regularly. This stone has literally found me several times now. I've thoroughly lost it and it's popped up in an obvious place months later. So I wear it for sacred things and because I feel connected to it. (We use wire cages for wearing our stones)

I also have an amethyst and citrine that I use for Astral travel. My mentor recommended it, though I can't remember what particular properties he wanted me to use them for. Either way, in conjuction they help.

I've also pried precious stones out of some of the old jewelry my husband had got for me and have used them in the base of a couple candles to charge them in a way for special rituals.

I haven't really considered the mining impact. And we have so few places we can get crystals here that I'm not sure I could lessen the impact. I always feel a connection to the stones that I have, but I don't use them for their tie to the land so much as a conduit of energy. So it's a bit different of a perspective than Rae'ya.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                      I've been using crystals more lately. I have an amethyst that I've had since I was young that I wear regularly. This stone has literally found me several times now. I've thoroughly lost it and it's popped up in an obvious place months later. So I wear it for sacred things and because I feel connected to it. (We use wire cages for wearing our stones)

I also have an amethyst and citrine that I use for Astral travel. My mentor recommended it, though I can't remember what particular properties he wanted me to use them for. Either way, in conjuction they help.

I've also pried precious stones out of some of the old jewelry my husband had got for me and have used them in the base of a couple candles to charge them in a way for special rituals.

I haven't really considered the mining impact. And we have so few places we can get crystals here that I'm not sure I could lessen the impact. I always feel a connection to the stones that I have, but I don't use them for their tie to the land so much as conduit of enaergy. So it's a bit different of a perspective than Rae'ya.

I myself consider them a focusing medium for personal energy,rather than a source of energy.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        I'm working on getting the time to reply here like I'd like to...but homework and illness has kept me busy.
                        You can take your time. It was my hope to have all my tumble stones sorted by this Saturday because that's the next moot, but I'd underestimated how long it would take and how many individual stones I have to sort. I've decided not to do this with my necklaces, large stones, clusters or agate slices because they're at least ornamental and I feel an attachment to each of them. That still leaves me with this lot though... (although some are just pretty stones or fossils and there's a sand dollar in there so it's not quite so bad I guess).

Three things I've learnt so far though are;

1) Way more of them resonate with me than I was expecting, and as I'm sitting with them, things I've used them for in the past are coming back to me almost as though they're saying, 'please don't give up on me, remember the time we....'
                        2) Very few give me no feeling at all making me think that most are active stones (I guess my instinct for selecting stones was pretty good in my teen witch days!). Most of the stones that are going in the 'rehome' pile are actually giving me a negative feeling. I get a knot in my stomach much like when I was suffering from anxiety in spring last year. I'm not sure if it's just me though, so I'll wait and see what the people at the moot make of the ones I get sorted by then.
                        3) What is taking the most time is that sometimes after I get the negative feeling I described above, I then can't shake it so that every crystal I pick up will seem negative although I can tell that it's residual energy from the previous crystal. The only thing I can do when that happens is stop and do something else for a while, which often ends up being the rest of the night.

This could take most of October!

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post

I haven't really considered the mining impact. And we have so few places we can get crystals here that I'm not sure I could lessen the impact. I always feel a connection to the stones that I have, but I don't use them for their tie to the land so much as a conduit of energy. So it's a bit different of a perspective than Rae'ya.
                        Hey, I use those little wire things too! They're so handy for popping any stone you want onto a chain!

That's cool that the amethyst keeps finding you again. I've had many stones vanish from my collection never to return and I always like to think that they left to find another owner that could use their energy better than I can. There are two crystals in my collection, also an amethyst and a citrine weirdly enough, that are shards of about the same size and shape that were found 4 years apart, both in car parks, by friends of mine who never met one another and who both picked up the stone and thought 'I have to give this to Jemma'. They have both automatically made it onto my 'keep' pile! I've never heard that they can be used together for astral travel but I'll make a note of that and try those two together sometime.

Comment

Working...
                        X