Controversial Human Embryo Editing: 5 Things to Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controversial Human Embryo Editing: 5 Things to Know

Scientists in Sweden have become the first to edit the genetic material in healthy human embryos, but what exactly are these researchers editing and why is the research so controversial?

Story here.

I wonder how people feel at this event. Editing human embryo's. Is science going to far,or is this the future of human reproduction?

Your feelings and opinions.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Controversial Human Embryo Editing: 5 Things to Know

I think, in terms of this experiment, the "fears" listed are non-applicable.

My overall feelings on the subject tend to vary...I can easily see a GATTACA sort of society develop if we are not careful (and maybe even if we are). I tend to think other scenarios--gmo soldiers raised in vats somewhere, etc. to be more unlikely. But I can also see the benefit in terms of health, public health, even genetic diversity (unless this is used to make cosmetic changes).
    Last edited by thalassa; 25 Sep 2016, 04:01.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Unfornutately, there is absolutely no doubt what-so-ever that the wealthy are the ones who will benefit, and that the poor are the ones who will pay for it.

Until we (as a society):

Provide the same quality lawyers to the rich and the poor
      Provide the same level of medical care to the rich and the poor
      Provide the same type of education to the rich and the poor
      Etc., etc., etc...

...we should not even bother telling ourselves the fairy tale that such technology will not be used to benefit those who have the cuuter to pay for it.

Instead, we should work for true equality. Until that exists, GATTACA will be the future.

The seeds of the future are in the past, and they sprout in the present.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This part bothers me: "Additionally, the group said it would be "irresponsible" to conduct editing on the human germ line (meaning, changes that could be passed down to future generations) until there is more work and discussion of safety and ethical issues." - I take that to mean they plan to use it for such at some point. We've already altered the human genome with DES and probably other things, none of them good.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Oh...

P.S. Thalassa is right - gmo vat soldiers are unlikely. Too expensive to produce on a large scale when reg'lar humans produce, finance, and mentally condition cannon fodder for gooberment/corporate purposes on their own.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
          X