X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: They are willing to destroy this country

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Oh oh. North Korea, President Crapbrains, delicate nuclear situation...

What could possibly go wrong?
    I only just saw the news. Not going to lie, I'm really scared. This is going to escalate out of control and innocent people who've had a hard enough life are going to be the ones to suffer.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      I only just saw the news. Not going to lie, I'm really scared. This is going to escalate out of control and innocent people who've had a hard enough life are going to be the ones to suffer.
      I've been scared of that for a while.. We really, really don't need two pigheaded 'leaders' with access to nuclear weapons.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I feel like I'm in kindergarten again, when the Cuban Missile Crisis happened. I used to check under my bed for Castro. Difference is, then we had JFK and now......well, life is day by day at this point.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I can't think of anyone more qualified than Mattis to deal with the situation, I also can't see Trump taking things too far off course. So far he hasn't shown himself to have much real agency or backbone despite what people are saying. He mostly just goes along with whatever his advisors suggest, it seems like.

Trump isn't a loose cannon, a renegade, or a molotov cocktail thrown into the white house. That's what I voted for, and so far I've been disappointed. Still better than Cruz or Hillary would have been, so I don't regret my vote, but all the hullabaloo caused by this... utterly humdrum administration is really proving to me how screwed up neocons and neoliberals (basically the same thing) have made the Overton Window.

You have to be a cookie-cutter clone or everyone loses the plot. Y'all see this situation and are freaking out, I see it and I am just wearily reserved. Anti-establishment is dead. I see that as the truly existential threat, not China and certainly not North Korea.
          Last edited by Denarius; 08 Aug 2017, 15:04.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

The hippie movement was truly anti-establishment. They were empowered by the economy at the time. A few kids could play guitar in the streets and live on the donations, in Greenwich Village. Today you need 5K a month just to get rolling there! The powers that be never wanted to see that kind of uprising again, and the best way to keep people subservient is to keep them hungry. 45 isn't what I'd call "humdrum", but he's an old, rich, greedy white guy. As for the NK situation, we don't know everything, but it's not business as usual in the world right now. He should be on tv reassuring the people, but he's not.
            Last edited by Hawkfeathers; 08 Aug 2017, 19:21.
            sigpic

Comment

The thing is, with North Korea Trump doesn't have to DO anything. Sure. He's probably mostly 'sound and fury signifying nothing'. But North Korea isn't. His rhethorics alone are enough to spark something, because NK doesn't have a level headed leader laughing at trump's empty words, they have a proud and narcissistic dictator. Dictators never take kindly to insults and challenge. If it was any other country in the world and trump was throwing tantrums and threats around the way he is now, they would probably see how hollow it is. But there really is no guarantee that NK will. Trump's role as the president is very much one of diplomacy, whether anyone likes it or now, and he can't deliver that. If we all had leaders like him... well. I don't wanna go there.
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

It seems like Trump has gotten us into another fine mess.

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The thing is, NK's newest Kim may be an egomaniac but a lot of what he does is grandstanding. There are limits to what he'll do because at the end of the day, he knows that if the cease-fire stops and the Korean War resumes then his regime and probably his life end. The greater concern isn't Kim deliberately kicking off the next phase of the Korean War. It's that Trump or Kim will misread something and hostilities restart by accident.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Leave it to President Crazypants to plot a nuclear war to distract us from the Russian annal probe.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Leave it to President Crazypants to plot a nuclear war to distract us from the Russian annal probe.
                      If that's his goal then we may yet get to see what happens when the 25th is invoked against an unwilling president. I wouldn't bet on it though. Trump's word isn't exactly reliable and war with North Korea is a rather large step.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                        The thing is, NK's newest Kim may be an egomaniac but a lot of what he does is grandstanding. There are limits to what he'll do because at the end of the day, he knows that if the cease-fire stops and the Korean War resumes then his regime and probably his life end. The greater concern isn't Kim deliberately kicking off the next phase of the Korean War. It's that Trump or Kim will misread something and hostilities restart by accident.
                        I didn't consider that part. But you're right I hope. To my eyes Kim seems a tad crazy and unpredictable, but everyone has a sense of self preservation, almost everyone at least. But neither of them seem like bright level headed people... so I'm still nervous.
                        What babe?
                        The babe with the power
                        What power?
                        The Power of voodoo
                        Who do?
                        You do!
                        Do what?
                        Remind me of the babe!

Comment

War has often been compared to chess. Somehow, I just can't picture either of these two playing chess.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                            War has often been compared to chess. Somehow, I just can't picture either of these two playing chess.
                            Even checkers might be a stretch.

Tic tac toe, perhaps?
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Even checkers might be a stretch.

Tic tac toe, perhaps?
                              I was thinking more like Pin The Tail On The Donkey. :lol:
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                                I was thinking more like Pin The Tail On The Donkey. :lol:
                                Two donkeys complicates the game, though.

Consider tic tac toe - matches Presindent DT's attention span, the strategy that results in the inevitable "Cat's Game" is so far beyond his compresion that every game will be new and challenging. There are, after all, 9 different opening moves...

Comment

Working...
                                X