Deliberately Shutting off Psychic Function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deliberately Shutting off Psychic Function

This isn't attention seeking or an attempt to sound oh so special. I'm genuinely freaking out to the point that I don't care if I come off as flakey.

I've just seen a ghost and I didn't like it.

It's not my first ghost, or even the first time I've seen this particular ghost. She's been spotted by several staff members and even seen by more than one person at the same time. But.. I've always just seen her out of the corner of my eye, or in my minds eye. In fact I saw her in a lady's bedroom just days ago, wearing a blue dressing gown. This time was different though.

One of the most common sightings of her is walking past the kitchen, or walking from the dining room (where I'm sat now) and the kitchen. On Wednesday nights I clean the oven and this is the only time I ever shut the kitchen door, for the fumes off the oven cleaner (one of our ladies has her room downstairs so we can always hear her and make sure she's safe).

The doors here have little windows in them and through the window, clear as day, I saw the hair of an elderly woman walking past the door. 2 of the residents have grey hair but one isn't mobile and the other has long straight hair, not curly like the lady I saw.

It has scared me this time. We've had night shift quit over things they've seen at night, and some day shift workers refuse to do the sleep in shifts because of it. I'm usually not bothered by the shadows and footsteps, but tonight has scared me.

So my question is, is there anything I can do to close my 3rd eye or whatever so I don't see her again? I'm scared to do the dishes because the sink is opposite the door so I'd have to stand with my back to the door. At 3am I check on one of our residents who is in poor health, but I've sensed this lady at the top of the stairs on a number of occasions and I don't want to see her. I'm not sure I'll be able to check on her tonight, and that's terrible. It's what I'm paid for. What if she's not okay?

You know, in my late teens and early twenties I was desperate to be one of those psychics that can see ghosts like they're solid people. It's why I got into mediumship in fact. Now though, I'd rather never see another orb, or aura, or faerie ever again, than continue to see ghosts like this.

Now I've got a weird feeling of deja vu. I'm about ready for this shift to be over now. This sucks so hard. I want my mum!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Deliberately Shutting off Psychic Function

I wish you luck but that's one aspect I've never yet found a way to shut off. The closest I've ever come is telling the ghost I'd really prefer it if it wouldn't sneak up on me or visit me in certain places. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, then sometimes it simply makes things worse depending upon the spirit in question.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I've always believed that if you're scared, your mind won't let you see anything. I guess that's not true. I feel like the medium that Butters went to in South Park when Cartman thought he was a ghost. She's all 'oh i see ghosts all the time', but then when Butters tells her the ghost is sitting right beside him, and she sees him too, she screams and runs from the room.

I've 'seen' this ghost so many times, but never clearly enough that it couldn't just be a trick of the light, or my over tired imagiation. Hopefully I won't see anything else tonight though.

On which note.. it's time to brave the stairs. I can't justify not checking on the resident, ghost or no ghost.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Perhaps just me but I find if your scared the mind creates via the imagination far more than you'd care to see. Where you might normally see say clearly the imagination bumps it into almost a hyper sensation state and you see what is there plus what ever your imagination is imposing upon the scene. Sounds, smells, shadows, illusions, all are multiplied and enhanced far beyond what your senses normally would experience.

Comment

I've calmed down now, but that could be happening to me because I'm sensing her a lot. Thanks to being calmer it's not scaring me so much. I saw a haze leave the kitchen as I entered just before I went upstairs. I just sighed and said, 'that's right, make sure you're on the landing as I go up the stairs' sarcastically. I saw nothing on the stairs though, and I'm so glad I went up. Someone had left laundry outside the lady's room and she'd forgotten to switch her light off so I would've been busted for not checking on her. 'It was a scary ghost' isn't the best defence in a disciplinary hearing!

Comment

Sounds like you definitely have to work on your shields Jem, get grounded now. Even if it's just a little bit seeing as your at work, but as soon as you can, get grounded properly, get back to the sources of your shields and get those babies pumping again.
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Jem, do you have reason to believe this ghost is harmful? From what you've said it's a resident ghost that's been around for a long time... though honestly, in your line of work, it's actually more likely to be an 'imprint' than a true ghost.

If you have no reason to believe she's harmful, just take a deep breath and relax for a second. She's clearly been there the whole time, you've just reached a point where you see her more clearly now. Nothing else has changed. So why are you scared now? Personally, I would be focusing on that... what makes her scary now when she wasn't before? What is it that freaks you out about a tangible vision vs a shadow in the corner of your eye. If she's been there forever, she's unlikely to turn around and suddenly decide to be malicious (presuming she's an actual entity... she may not be). Soooooo many people are scared of ghosts and imprints for absolutely no reason, and it would be a real shame to lock yourself down over an innocent imprint that can't actually interact with anyone.

Comment

Until I saw her hair last night, I suspected she was actually the lady I check on upstairs, projecting in her sleep. She was in an induced coma in hospital a few years ago and I kept hearing her keys through the night (you usually hear her keys rattling before you see her). While telling my colleague in the morning, it sounded again so I had a witness to validate my experience. Now I've seen the ghost though, it's definitely someone else.

You're right though. She hasn't harmed anyone before. Except that I get a feeling of vertigo when I sense her on the stairs, and someone died falling down the stairs last year. Then the lady I keep talking about fell on the stairs last week. Makes me slightly concerned, although I know that accidents happen and I work with people with physical as well as cognative impairments, so the risk to them of falling is higher. An echo of a former resident sounds more likely though, than some vengeful spirit pushing people down the stairs.

I think the reason it scared me is that as open minded and woowoo as I am, there's a part of me that has always felt that I'm just choosing to believe my experiences are spiritual or otherworldly. There was always the soothing voice in my head saying 'yeah, but it's probably just a trick of the eye', or 'you're just seeing patterns because you're looking for them', or 'it was just a dream' and so on. Last night stripped me of that safety harness because it was too real to dismiss.

Yet having said that, after I'd been upstairs and calmed down, I started to remember it differently. I know I saw what I saw. Yet now when I try to recall it, it seems more fleeting and vague than I know it was, like it could have been my eyes playing tricks. It's as though that same part of my mind that tells me my experiences might not be real is trying to rewrite the memory so I can continue to excuse it away.

My focus for this month was to face my fears; to start working with tarot again, to go to unfamiliar places at night and to use the microwave!! I'm wondering now if the fear I'd developed of the tarot was actually fear of the supernatural (I don't like that word but I can't think of a better one in this context). Maybe this is all part of the same work... to take me back to where I was before I ran away from all that psychic stuff (literally -I walked out of a Spiritualist church in the middle of a service that I was giving! I've got a lot of shame around that still).

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  Jem, do you have reason to believe this ghost is harmful? From what you've said it's a resident ghost that's been around for a long time... though honestly, in your line of work, it's actually more likely to be an 'imprint' than a true ghost.
                  That's a line that you really do not see to many pagan's really cross over Defining the various types of spirits that collectively tend to get labeled as ghosts. The only thing about an imprint, well to me anyway, though is when you dig into them they tend to be active on certain dates more so than over and over unless it's a punishment / trapped imprint. You see those at mental hospitals or battlefields and such but didn't think Jem was working at such a place.

Hospices or assisted living facilities tend to have spirits I've seen that are sort of lost between worlds. Almost as if they don't know they are deceased so they wander about the building. Some are recently deceased and still cling to life while others are afraid is the only way I can describe it and grow in the shadows never crossing but never fading either. Some of those are or were caretakers and continue to try and help the patients, though it seems many hang around the children's wards.

If you have no reason to believe she's harmful, just take a deep breath and relax for a second. She's clearly been there the whole time, you've just reached a point where you see her more clearly now. Nothing else has changed. So why are you scared now? Personally, I would be focusing on that..

That's a good point. What changed and caused her to be scared now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    You're right though. She hasn't harmed anyone before. Except that I get a feeling of vertigo when I sense her on the stairs, and someone died falling down the stairs last year. Then the lady I keep talking about fell on the stairs last week. Makes me slightly concerned, although I know that accidents happen and I work with people with physical as well as cognative impairments, so the risk to them of falling is higher. An echo of a former resident sounds more likely though, than some vengeful spirit pushing people down the stairs.
                    From what you've said, it's more likely that this spirit or imprint is someone who died on those stairs, than someone who is causing people to injure themselves on the stairs.

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    My focus for this month was to face my fears; to start working with tarot again, to go to unfamiliar places at night and to use the microwave!! I'm wondering now if the fear I'd developed of the tarot was actually fear of the supernatural (I don't like that word but I can't think of a better one in this context). Maybe this is all part of the same work... to take me back to where I was before I ran away from all that psychic stuff (literally -I walked out of a Spiritualist church in the middle of a service that I was giving! I've got a lot of shame around that still).
                    This all sounds like it's tied in... you're working on facing your fears this month, and you suddenly have a situation where your fear of the supernatural has been pushed to the forefront! This seems like a good opportunity for some introspection and personal growth Lots of people are scared of 'psychic stuff', even people who know about it and accept it. Somehow it's different talking about it vs actually experiencing it. So remember that you're not alone in feeling this way, Jem. Lots of people go through this. But often there's not actually anything to be afraid of... it's just working through your kneejerk reactions and getting to the root of what makes you scared about things.

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                    That's a line that you really do not see to many pagan's really cross over Defining the various types of spirits that collectively tend to get labeled as ghosts. The only thing about an imprint, well to me anyway, though is when you dig into them they tend to be active on certain dates more so than over and over unless it's a punishment / trapped imprint. You see those at mental hospitals or battlefields and such but didn't think Jem was working at such a place.
                    I wonder if you and I have a different definition of 'imprint', Monsno? To me, and imprint is an energetic residue left after people/situations of intense emotion/fear/anger/anxiety/distress. Yes, they can happen on certain dates, but sometimes they just play over and over again. I'm not really sure what you mean by 'punishement/trapped imprint'... I've not heard that term before and neither has hubby (who does paranormal investigation stuff). Imprints are just loops of energetic 'film' that are stuck playing over and over again... 'trapped' suggests something sentient, which imprints certainly aren't.

If I remember correctly, Jem works with mentally and physically disabled people... most elderly but some not (Jem, correct me if I'm wrong there). That's a lovely little recipe for imprints... mental and emotional trauma, fractured psyches, hospice, people dying on site. Trapped or lost spirits are absolutely a possibility, but my understanding is that most 'spirits' that do the same thing over and over, which don't interact when spoken to, and which don't actively recognise a person who has seen/noticed them, are actually imprints.

Comment

I do have a position on ghosts. I live in a senior building,and can count the number of people here that have died in the building. Many here are in their 70-80's,and death has taken perhaps 10-15 people over the 6 years I have lived here. I have yet to sense or interact with a restless spirit here.

I would think if there was going to be a ghost,it would be here,but I have never seen or heard one.

Just my personal experience.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

My boyfriend has been seeing them from a fairly young age (I dunno, maybe 10-sh?), and after so many years, it seems that the reaction to seeing one is just, "Oh, there's a thing. I wonder what I'll have for dinner tonight?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                          If I remember correctly, Jem works with mentally and physically disabled people... most elderly but some not (Jem, correct me if I'm wrong there). That's a lovely little recipe for imprints... mental and emotional trauma, fractured psyches, hospice, people dying on site. Trapped or lost spirits are absolutely a possibility, but my understanding is that most 'spirits' that do the same thing over and over, which don't interact when spoken to, and which don't actively recognise a person who has seen/noticed them, are actually imprints.
                          You're right. I work with 5 adults with a variety of disabilities. 2 are in their 60s but seem older because of early onset dementia. The building wasn't always a supported living home but that's not to say a previous owner hadn't died on the stairs.

The house actually closed for refurbishments about 11 years ago. It had been a supported living home prior to that but the residents were moved out and then when it reopened, new residents and a new staff team were moved in. I only know about residents that lived there after the refurbishments, and there has been only one death on the premises in that time. A former resident died a few years ago but had been moved to a nursing home (we're not really equipped for nursing care because all but one of our rooms are upstairs), and another died from a heart attack while staying at his sister's. They were all male though.

I know of at least one member of staff who knew the house before the refurbishments. I'll try picking her brain.

I don't know how affective it will be, but I've decided to try imagining a padlock on my 3rd eye so I can literally lock up the chakra if I see something I'm not ready for. I'm going to be more vigilant about shielding too.

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
                          My boyfriend has been seeing them from a fairly young age (I dunno, maybe 10-sh?), and after so many years, it seems that the reaction to seeing one is just, "Oh, there's a thing. I wonder what I'll have for dinner tonight?"
                          When it comes to the shadows (I dunno what else to call them, but it's more like an aura without a person inside), I'm the same. I stopped seeing them until the latter end of last year, but saw them on a daily basis until 2010 when I lost my faith and rejected everything magical or metaphysical. They can take me off guard and there was a day last year when I kept seeing a ghostly black cat that unnerved me a little, but I generally just shrug it off.

If sightings like the old lady are going to become more common, I hope I can learn to shrug those off too.

Comment

Working...
                          X