What does the moon (Luna) mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does the moon (Luna) mean to you?

Maybe because of its prominence in the sky, or its amazing ability to seemingly change shape, or maybe for some other reason, Luna tends to take a roll in a lot of belief systems and folklore.

What does it mean to you? And why does it mean that?
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 28 Oct 2016, 01:47.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    What does it mean to you? And why does it mean that?
    The moon is a guide to me. I dont follow her as closely as I'd like, but when I need her she's always there.

I guess the why is probably rooted in teen me being all Wiccan and the moon is a goddess stuff, but it has deepened beyond that. There is a deep respect.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: What does the moon (Luna) mean to you?

The moon is considered to have influence on human behavior(Full moon) and the term "lunatic" or "Loony"
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

For me personally it is Selene. I seldom use Luna unless I am referring to the Roman persona of the moon.

As a presence I see it as a passive yet influencing power. It reminds me that there truly is a time for all things and all things have their time as it has stages it passes through in its cyclic pattern. That pattern reminding me power is also present and acting upon us even when it is not visible to us nor appearing large and so called in your face. It reminds me there are cycles within cycles but it is also both static and dynamic as it has short cycles that occur on a 24 hour scale making it appear static yet dynamic in that it constantly influences aspects upon our planet in it's long pattern as it passes through it various phases.

It reminds me of the illusion it creates. The illusion being of having no affect / effect unless one is aware of how that influence is played out. So called moon madness for instance that some see due to their jobs but others never see. Tidal shifts that sailors know of but those who live on the land may never experience much less hear about. Visual deceptions under the silver light when things take form or movement in the shadows that are softer and deeper than under the light of the sun.

I suppose even the contrast between the various stages and forms revealed. The razor sharp arc of a rising or falling crescent moon versus a half moon or the glowing light of a full moon are all different. Each touches a differing aspect of the human psyche. To a degree promoting a sense of rising hope and perhaps promise or a sinking sense of foreboding and doom as the dark moon or bloodmoon takes hold.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Comment

I go outside every full moon I can and let the light wash over me. It just feels right.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Err, it's an occasional supply of light after sunset. I don't actually do much with the moon. I know of some of the meanings associated with it but I don't work with it much. One of the more entertaining things I tend to remember about it is that there's a chance that it's eaten a collission or two that might otherwise have hit earth but I don't really incorporate the moon into my practices.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Again using your post as a jumping point. I work or look to Mani more than Sunna but I do spell work and the phases are used a good bit more than the sun would be. Personality wise I find Mani more approachable than Sunna. I tend to honor and do offerings to Sunna and Mani certain times a year but the New and Full moon are honored every month. One of my favorite times to do spells is when the sun and moon are out together. Dawn and Dusk when you look up and the sky is bright but the Moon is still visible. Strong mojo.
                Last edited by Ula; 28 Oct 2016, 07:25. Reason: add content

Comment

I follow the lunar calendar for rituals. Every year, when I buy my new calendar, I go to the Nautical Almanac site and get all the naked-eye, first-crescent nights for the New Moon at London. But I'm slightly ashamed to say that I don't often worship Selene, although the sight of the Full Moon will usually elicit a quick greeting.

Comment

Dammit Corbin, this and the sun thread are an excellent idea, but I've been thinking about my answer all day! I've got stuff to do though so I was determined to put this off until I have a bit more time. I can't though.. I just HAVE to answer now! It's going to be long, because I'm like that.. and I'll feel guilty for those who actually read it.. and still I type.. I can't help myself!

Neither of the named deities I work with have a direct link with the moon. Brigantia via her connection to Brighid, can be considered a triple goddess, but there is no evidence that I have seen to suggest that she is associated with the moon outside of contemporary books by modern pagans (I'm thinking mainly of Carr-Gomm's 'Druidcraft' here).

Still, the moon has a very real allure for me and so I do still acknowledge the wiccan triple goddess as the form the goddess takes when I meet her through what I call the faunal realm. As a general rule I do not name the deities I meet through the realms preferring instead just to give them titles but there is one exception to the rule and that is that while performing my esbat, I use the names 'Brighid, Breed*, Brigantia' instead of the original names in the chant I use, this one and have used since I was 16 years old. (*I've spelt it as I say it because it's the traditional pronunciation of 'Brighid')

My path is bio-regional and the moon plays a part in this for me. Most obviously being that I live on the coast and so the tides are important. When planning spells for example, I'm more interested in aligning my workings with the full and new moons which are the times of the spring tides, and instead of say, using a waning moon for banishing, I check the tide times and perform my spell when the tide is going out. I actually prefer not to perform spells during the quarter moons if I can at all help it, because I just don't feel the energy is as potent at this time.

Although Brigantia is typically associated with wells and springs, I associate a local underground stream with her (although the stream itself feels masculine for some reason and its spirit takes the form of a boar). It surfaces at the park for just a short distance (around 30 meters or so) before vanishing back into the ground and eventually pouring out into the river Tyne. I used to notice that sometimes the Pow Burn would be completely dry, or else just a trickle, while at other times, like today, it is a good foot deep in places. Due to my shift pattern I don't usually make it to my volunteer group at the park every Friday but on this rota I've had every Thursday, Friday and Saturday off so have visited the Pow Burn 4 weeks in a row. This allowed me to pick up on the fact that the peak times are at the full and new moon, while the shallow or dry times are at the quarters. I'm keeping a journal in case it has just been chance, but it certainly looks as though the Pow Burn is visibly affected by the moon. It all ties in nicely with my working style!

Other than that, I have activities that I time around the moon. For example, I thoroughly clean and smudge the flat during the waning crescent, then on the new moon I have a short ritual I do where I tap my house key on the threshold and thank the last month for my lessons and gifts, open then close the door, and then welcome in the new month. I also sit down with my guides during the last few days before the new moon and review the spiritual or personal development work I did over the month, discuss what needs further work or where to go next, and then design an action plan for the month ahead (that I never complete in it's entirety but that's okay, there's always another month!!).

Phew.. great topic Corbin. Nice one!

EDIT: second chant from the top called 'Goddess Prayer' on the page I linked.
                    Last edited by Jembru; 28 Oct 2016, 09:39.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

it's a satellite of earth.

atheist answer is so boring.

meh.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        it's a satellite of earth.

atheist answer is so boring.

meh.
                        Oi, don't tarnish all atheists with the same brush! A friend of mine (the German guy who sometimes teases me with Brexit posts on FB) is an atheist but he once told me that he reveres and adores the natural world because it is such a beautiful accident. Just like he values every second of his life because this is all there is and there is no greater meaning than to simply be alive and make the very best of that one, fleeting life.

So, if you think the moon being a satellite of the Earth is boring, then maybe take a closer look at what the moon actually does to, and for the Earth. It's pretty darned amazing, even without the presence of deities..

Awesome Documentary about the Moon
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Tides,remember the tides...
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                            Oi, don't tarnish all atheists with the same brush! A friend of mine (the German guy who sometimes teases me with Brexit posts on FB) is an atheist but he once told me that he reveres and adores the natural world because it is such a beautiful accident. Just like he values every second of his life because this is all there is and there is no greater meaning than to simply be alive and make the very best of that one, fleeting life.

So, if you think the moon being a satellite of the Earth is boring, then maybe take a closer look at what the moon actually does to, and for the Earth. It's pretty darned amazing, even without the presence of deities..

Awesome Documentary about the Moon
                            oh i think it is amazing. I just don't assign it any value past what it is. Nature is awesome without a human supernatural opinion of it.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I adore and revere the moon, but I don't consider her to be a major part of my path. My favorite thing about the moon is that sometimes she will be in the sky in the middle of the day and other times she will be in the sky in the middle of the night. I know that that isn't random, but I deliberately avoid keeping track of the moon just so I can look up in the sky and be pleasantly surprised when I see her. So yeah, I don't follow the moon, I just let her come and go as she pleases :^^:

With that being said, the full moon on this year's summer solstice was perfect and it made the night all the more magical
                              "Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer,
                              The future's uncertain and the end is always near"

Comment

Working...
                              X