What does the sun (Sol) mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does the sun (Sol) mean to you?

Sol is pretty cool (he he... Get it? "Cool") and has a lot of impact on out planet (Terra). It also figures in a lot of belief systems and folklore. So... what does Sol mean to you?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: What does the sun (Sol) mean to you?

Man,I really got my posts mixed up,and now there will most likely be some connection of the sun and mensuration(is this how cults are formed?)
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think i have less of a relationship, or pull to the sun than the moon. Probably also rooted in teen wicca-ness. I do feel relaxed and refreshed when I spend time under him (her? Nfi) but that could also be because that is just a legendary thing to do.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Comment

Helios doesn't figure in my world view quite as much. Not that he is not important and not needed from many aspects it's just for me personally I find his winter persona and presence more welcome than his summer presence.

During the winter I look forward to seeing him rise and bring warmth to the day and burn away the lingering cold of the night and the hanging fog / mists. To melt away the ice that clings to the windows and makes driving and such a hazard. That and to be honest his touch warms my bones and soothes the aches the cold hand of winter sets in so deeply each year. It offers the promise of spring's thaw and the fertility of the land's return. In some capacity it's a reassurance that summer will return as he strides through the winter months with us providing warmth yet not to much.

Yet his summer face really kicks my butt. It's hard to breathe, the air hangs so heavy and many times so dry it feels like it cakes in your mouth and nose. His brightness burns and blinds and by mid-day and mid-summer it's like you don't know if he's trying to fry you alive or slow cook you. Everything seems to wilt beneath his gauze and even the land begins to look tired and worn out. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I've had the opportunity to experience his presence in the Med, the Black Sea region and off of Egypt during the blistering summer and the cooler winter months. To experience him through the 3 seasons that make up the growing year in that region and came to understand, well somewhat, resting during the heat of the day.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I use imagery associated with fire and light for a number of things. The sun being the largest supply of both that's readily visible is very convenient for that. I don't specifically revere many Powers associated with it (though there's a possible shift on that front if I ever finish looking into something).

Actually, it occurs to me that I should pay respects anytime the sun is out on a workday. Rain brings locusts, demons, ork hordes, customers. While that's good for the store, it tends to make my day harder.

As a complete side item, while Sol is a name for our sun and several Powers associated with it. I've also adopted the habit of certain sci-fi books in referring to our solar system as the Sol system.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Just to expand on this since I am in the same tradition. Saunas are associated with healing and Sunna. Heat was a life savers in the cold North. I do have times of the year I honor Sunna but as is said she isn't part of my regular practice.

Comment

The sun was important because the night held many dangers,predators who hunted in the night. In many early cultures night was feared because of a belief that spirits roamed then,and could hurt the living. Sunlight in a way was a protective thing,even the idea that sunlight was a cleansing power to defeat evil(Vampire in the Sun)
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I celebrate Heliogenna the day after the Winter Solstice, but that's about it.

Surya is quite important for Hindus:
                  Ratha Saptami tomorrow ------Bow down to Lord Surya, may he protect us from all the negatives and bring positives to our lives....If I drop a pen and someone gives it to me, I say thank you..well its about time we should offer thanks to Sun god or Surya deva no ? Tomorrow is the day where the...

Comment

Working...
                  X