How to recognise a pagan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to recognise a pagan?

If you were to give a field guide description of the Common Pagan and/or some of it's subspecies, what would you say?

Can you tell by someone's appearance that the person is pagan? Do you look like a pagan?
    Last edited by Näre; 31 Oct 2016, 00:11.
    baah.

Re: How to recognise a pagan?

Personally I'd have to say no. There is no one size description that fits all or even comes close.

This is one subject that has caused a lot of hate and discontent many times. Go to various gatherings and it seems you always get into the peeing contest about this or that person is not witchy looking enough. To much black, to little black. Looks goth, doesn't look goth. Looks like they're going to a renfair, doesn't look like they're going to a renfair. Gaudy jewelry no gaudy jewelry, tons of rings and charms, no rings and charms, plain wooden wand or gaudy looking wand with wire, stones, sparkles, etc.

Like I said in my opinion no one size fits all answer even if you stick to the so called spoken greeting of blessed be greeting....
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Other than wearing certain necklaces, I really don't think so. Just seeing the variation of how people look, both on this forum in the what do you look like thread, and on youtube (I haven't run into that many pagans IRL) I don't really see any set commonality between pagans at all. Maybe there's certain trends, like wearing a lot of black like monsno mentioned above, that pagans tend to do more of than most religious groups, but with how many people who aren't pagan that wear a lot of black that are out there, it really doesn't mean much IMO.

Comment

Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that.

Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice, Act III, scene 1
        Last edited by B. de Corbin; 31 Oct 2016, 09:00.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Is it possible Pagans like to quote Shakespeare?,and may from time wax eloquent?
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The bay-trees in our country are all withered,
            And meteors fright the fixed stars of heaven.
            The pale-faced moon looks bloody on the earth,
            And lean-looked prophets whisper fearful change.
            Rich men look sad, and ruffians dance and leap;
            The one in fear to lose what they enjoy,
            The other to enjoy by rage and war.
            These signs forerun the death or fall of kings.

Richard II, Act 2, Scene 4

In real & regular daily life, other than the obvious jewelry,etc., it's hard to tell. Many are pagans deep within without knowing it. My grandmother, deeply veiled in Catholicism, was about as Strega as you could get, but she didn't know where a lot of her customary rituals & actions & knowledge came from, they were just passed on and deeply believed.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Besides, as mentioned, certain necklaces, I don't think so. I mean when you get us all together there's definitely similarities, but picking out of a crowd?? Nah. I mean I'm in a gym atm, checking the forum between bench press sets. No one is looking for pagans here, nor is there any way to tell (not wearing any jewellery in the gym) that I'm a pagan
              Last edited by Heka; 31 Oct 2016, 13:08.
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

If you were to give a field guide description of the Common Pagan and/or some of it's subspecies, what would you say?

Can you tell by someone's appearance that the person is pagan? Do you look like a pagan?
                Pretty sure this has been shared here before but it was long enough ago that I should get away with it...

For sub-species of pagan, I refer you to this handy field guide..

Types of Pagan

I shudder to think which category I come under. ^^

If we're being serious though, then I really don't think there's a type. At the local moot, there's a lot of velvet and hemp clothing, and the guys often wear black t.shirts with either animals or band logos on them, but it's by no means all members. My clothing style is characterised by flowers, lace and bows and I don't know anyone else, pagan or otherwise, who dresses like me.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post

For sub-species of pagan, I refer you to this handy field guide..

Types of Pagan
                  Bahahahaha I enjoyed that immensely. Couldn't find me though...
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Oh gawd, I spotted many of you!
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                      Bahahahaha I enjoyed that immensely. Couldn't find me though...
                      I'm a bit of at least 3 of them. Mahou shoujo wasn't on the list though. Haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      Oh gawd, I spotted many of you!
                      Right?! I put my b'tch hat on and assigned a few PF members to the list! All in good humour though.
                      Last edited by Jembru; 31 Oct 2016, 22:09.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I guess I have to take up the Devil Worshiper persona. I just wish they'd add pink sparkles with kitty kats to the list.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Sign me up for the tree hugging nature spirit and dances with bunny rabbits!
                          Last edited by Jembru; 31 Oct 2016, 22:38.

Comment

I did notice one that "Might" have been spot on for me.
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I love that list! Didn't find myself.. or maybe a little.
                              baah.

Comment

Working...
                              X