Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The temporary what are you thinking about but if it's politics can you not thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The temporary what are you thinking about but if it's politics can you not thread

Aahh, okay, no problem. The common link between Brigantia (I know nothing about her) and Kannon sounds interesting as I've been thinking about how Kannon would fit in pagan beliefs.

I found the statues from some random stone/home deco shops, they were labeled as feng shui items (both are Chinese style).
    I do know some web sites (don't know about 'good' but ranging from traditional Chinese Buddhism to New Age. I can PM you some links (tomorrow or on Sunday). I also know plenty of chants on Youtube, mostly in Chinese.
    I haven't read so many (if any) books about her but I know there are some:

(I don't know about the quality of these books. I should read some of them as well..)

Also, I have this statue (although my statue has a slightly deformed face on the other side. My other statue got accidentally broken by my mother but it's fixed now.. Both are charming in their imperfection.)
    baah.

Comment

Re: The temporary what are you thinking about but if it's politics can you not thread

I noticed your links go to Kuan Yin as well. Is there a connection between Kannon and Kuan Yin. If you look at my sig,my graphic has Kuan Yin. in it.

I personally find the image very soothing for me.
      Last edited by anunitu; 25 Nov 2016, 13:32.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly Pear View Post
        Is there any driver who doesn't talk to their car? "Come on, you can do it", "I knew you could do it", "Sorry, I know you don't like cold mornings", "Thanks for getting us through that", "Please don't break down now, please don't break down now", "If you can just make it to the gas station, I promise we'll take care of that".
        Back in the day when I was still allowed to drive (failing eyesight prevented this from continuing) I always named and talked to my cars. They had distinct personalities. Nursie used to look after us, although she was old and battered, Foh was totally deranged, a sort of Jackie Chan on wheels; Ingrid was beautiful, mysterious and adored mr P., Marvin really was the paranoid android, horrible bloody thing...
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          I noticed your links go to Kuan Yin as well. Is there a connection between Kannon and Kuan Yin. If you look at my sig,my graphic has Kuan Yin. in it.

Same deity, different (but similar, in Korean she is Kwanseum) names in different languages.
          I love the Kuan Yin pic in your signature!

By the way, the camera brand Canon was named after her
          baah.

Comment

That is very good to know..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Aahh, okay, no problem. The common link between Brigantia (I know nothing about her) and Kannon sounds interesting as I've been thinking about how Kannon would fit in pagan beliefs.

I found the statues from some random stone/home deco shops, they were labeled as feng shui items (both are Chinese style).
              I do know some web sites (don't know about 'good' but ranging from traditional Chinese Buddhism to New Age. I can PM you some links (tomorrow or on Sunday). I also know plenty of chants on Youtube, mostly in Chinese.
              I haven't read so many (if any) books about her but I know there are some:

(I don't know about the quality of these books. I should read some of them as well..)

Also, I have this statue (although my statue has a slightly deformed face on the other side. My other statue got accidentally broken by my mother but it's fixed now.. Both are charming in their imperfection.)
              I'm not basing my idea on much more than a hunch. Not everyone agrees that the Celtic cultures originated in India (and some people get far too upset when others disagree with their version of history -it makes researching this stuff a tedious slog). I'm absolutely convinced of this fact myself, not least because of the linguistic similarities between Sanskrit and Celtic languages, but also because some deities seem to be common to both Hinduism and Celtic faiths, most notably the Danu who like Brigantia, saw widespread worship throughout Europe. I even looked to Hinduism when I was exploring the ways in which I can honour Brigantia, having so little information about what the Brythonic Celts really did. If I were to compare my reconstruction attempts to Jurassic Park, then Hinduism was my frog DNA! Lol

So if Kannon/Guanyin originated in the same part of the world, my inner fantasist wants to imagine that they share the same root but then spread in different directions, being shaped by different cultures. Thing is, there's no way of proving this even if compelling evidence exists because of the whole chicken and egg effect. That is, how can you be sure which culture influenced which? Or even that similarities aren't nothing more than coincidence?

That said, I think nothing kills spirituality more than the thirst for historical accuracy. If you have to ignore your instincts and gut feelings, then surely you've missed the point?

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I can tell they're the same deity. Kannon is just her Japanese name.
              Last edited by Jembru; 25 Nov 2016, 14:07.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Why I mentioned how the image makes me FEEL..the connection is on a spiritual level...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Why I mentioned how the image makes me FEEL..the connection is on a spiritual level...
                  It's actually really nice to see that other members of PF have been moved by this deity. Saitou-San doesn't actually talk about her in his lectures but rather just mentions a general connection to Deity or the universe (he talks about 'universal energy' quite a lot actually). Yet I can somehow feel her presence while I listen to him, and it feels like Brigantia. Even though it's in an foreign language and I can't always understand what he's saying, it feels familiar somehow, like he's just reminding me of what I already know. I probably sound a little crazy now.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Am glad that Black Friday is only once a year. Went out to Barnes and Noble to shop for books. Got some at great prices, and B&N wasn't as crowded as I thought. However, getting back home was another matter. Crazy.
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                      Am glad that Black Friday is only once a year. Went out to Barnes and Noble to shop for books. Got some at great prices, and B&N wasn't as crowded as I thought. However, getting back home was another matter. Crazy.
                      I forgot it was black Friday. I bought a kitchen bin and a shiney new coffee machine (an upgrade from the one my sister gave me.. this one has a timer, and is shiney!!). Neither were in the sales but both were reasonably priced anyway. Still, I now feel a bit cheated that I didn't get a few quid off for black Friday!
                      Last edited by Jembru; 25 Nov 2016, 15:29.

Comment

One Black Friday a year is one too many Black Fridays a year. I've still got three hours of this insanity left when my break ends.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Thinking about my Daughter-in-law and Grandson. She was driving home and slide on a wet road flipped on side and slide into a tree and totaled the thing. Lucky they are ok though Ashley is banged up a bit and Miles is ok. Lovely holiday add's to our niece going to the hospital for seizures.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I made it through Black Friday at work. We were mad busy! I have one shift to go (closing tomorrow) then I'm off Sunday!!!!!
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

So. During the last hour at work (We were dead due to being open later and the pouring rain)...a customer wandered in. Shopping. Like you are apt to do. But apparently he was also in need of a little snack. So he proceeded to browse around our empty store eating peanut butter. Out of the jar. While wearing gloves.

:=I:
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                              X