Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got a copy of Cunningham's 'Wicca, a guide for the solitary practitioner'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got a copy of Cunningham's 'Wicca, a guide for the solitary practitioner'?

This is here rather than in the practices section because I'm not wanting to discuss the book (although we can), but rather to check some things. I'm reading it in Japanese and at times I think the translation might have gone a bit off.

Can someone please tell me if the English version talks about a book of mirrors (or mirror book or something similar)?

If it's a real thing then I want to start calling my magical journal that, but the book I have talks about the book of shadows in chapter 2 (影の書) then in chapter 3 jumps to telling you to keep a magical journal called a book of mirrors or mirror book (鏡の書). Mirror is kagami and shadow is kage so I'm wondering if the translator just got the wrong word in his or her head.

I've asked for the English copy for Christmas so I can use it like a parallel text, but until then please put me out of my mysery.
    Chapter 3.. mirrors or shadows?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Anyone got a copy of Cunningham's 'Wicca, a guide for the solitary practitioner'?

I believe I have it Jem. Give me a few hours when my MIL leaves and I will dig it out and check for you.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Re: Anyone got a copy of Cunningham's 'Wicca, a guide for the solitary practitioner'?

Mine's an old copy but Section three is simply The Standing Stones Book of Shadows. Nothing about mirror's.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I've read it but can't remember... But I know the term Mirror book!

Surprisingly, I think I've seen only Finnish Wiccans using the term, it's some kind of a magical journal whereas the BoS is more of a grimoire.
        *googlegoogle*
        But it is a thing:
        What IS a Book of Mirrors, and do you as a Wiccan need one? Find out the use and benefits of this complement to your Book of Shadows...A Year & A Day to Becoming a Wiccan Lesson 0 Pt 3
        baah.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          Mine's an old copy but Section three is simply The Standing Stones Book of Shadows. Nothing about mirror's.
          Then it is as I expected and the translator got mixed up. I thought so, because if it was a separate book from the BoS like my journal is, you'd think Scott would have at least explained how they differ. It just lunges right into telling you what to write in the book . No explanation as to why the name suddenly changed.

I've read it but can't remember... But I know the term Mirror book!

Surprisingly, I think I've seen only Finnish Wiccans using the term, it's some kind of a magical journal whereas the BoS is more of a grimoire.
          *googlegoogle*
          But it is a thing:
          http://www.wicca-spirituality.com/book-of-mirrors.html
          I wonder if the book used more than one translator and they did different research then. It's unlikely they were able to find a Japanese native speaker with prior knowledge of wicca, so they'll likely have had to research the terms.

I still like the term Book of Mirrors. I used to use 'book of light' or the even cheesier sounding 'book of illumination', because it's the sparks of inspiration that cast the shadows that go into my BoS. Decided that was far too New Agey even for me though, so just call it my journal now. Thing is, I keep 4 different journals, 3 written and one audio, and I cross reference them all the time. Having to write 'my regular journal' or 'my spiritual journal' gets a bit tedious.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I have that book and can check the specifics if you give me a chapter and rough section to look in.

Either way, 'Book of Mirrors' is an actual thing... I don't recall if it's in the Cunningham book, but in neo-Wicca it's a common name for the magickal journal vs the book of spells. Journal = Book of Mirrors (as in a mirror into yourself/psyche/whatever). Spells/Workings/Rituals etc = Book of Shadows.

Comment

It's chapter 3 (in my book at least). Title in my version is 'practicing magic' (魔法の練習) and it's the first section after the introduction. In my book the sub heading is 'Start Keeping a Book of Mirrors'.

Comment

In my book, the exercises are set out in a different section (Section II) and the first one is 'The Mirror Book'...

Right now, as soon as you finish reading this perhaps, beging a 'mirror book'. This is a magical record of your progress in Wicca. It can be anything from a locked diary to a spiral-bound notebook. In it, record all thoughts and feelings about Wicca, the results of your readings, magical success and failures, doubts an fears, significant dreams - even mundane concerns. This book is for your eyes only. No one else need ever read it.
                - Wicca A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner pg 85

Comment

Working...
                X