Pagan History Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan History Book

Okay since the internet has become even more unreliable than ever, what books do you guys recommend for learning some pagan history?

I'm actually looking for something that kind of tells an overall history of where are current Pagan and Witchcraft beliefs and traditions that are practiced today come from. However, I wasn't sure if there is even such a book as Pagan history is a widely published topic. So I'll take any recommendations for any type of pagan themed history, be it on specific traditions or even topics like holidays/sabbats.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Pagan History Book

There's actually a few I've seen. There's one which is a series (about six books I think) that takes it from Ancient times in Western society up through today, though I've forgotten the name for it and have only seen it in my library; maybe someone else knows of it. One in particular which I've read, which tells about British witchcraft in particular and how it paved the way into modern witchcraft and paganism, is The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft by Ronald Hutton, and is loaded with plenty of references and appears to be pretty accurate.

Comment

Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton is a good starting place.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Hadn't heard of that one. I will look into that title. I know my local library used to have "Modern Wicca: A History From Gerald Gardner to the Present" by Michael Howard but it seems to have vanished from the library along with several other Pagan oriented books. I also found "A History of Pagan Europe" by Prudence Jones and Nigel Pennick on Amazon but never seen it before. Reminds me of a text book from the preview they give. Anyone read these or heard of them?
        Last edited by GypsySeaWitch; 12 Dec 2016, 16:53.

Comment

I've read Hutton and he's very good. He was raised a pagan and he's a professor of history, so you get the best of both worlds. I haven't read Prudence Jones's book, but she's good too; she used to be President of the Pagan Federation in the UK.

Comment

Did not know that about the authors. Good to know. Now those are totally on my next to read list.

Comment

Working...
            X