Rituals for coming of age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rituals for coming of age?

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seems like a good enough spot...I guess it could go in parenting too, but I'm more interested in the ritual aspect.

Has anyone here ever participated into a coming of age ceremony? My kids have a little while to go, but its something that I've been thinking about. Western culture doesn't seem to do a very good job with this, and I'm looking for a way to mark the different milestones of their life. If you have, what was the ceremony or ritual like? If you haven't, do you have any ideas of what might have interested you? What about any differences for genders? Do you think menarche should be a milestone for girls?
    A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
    --Albert Einstein

I'm all for celebrating menarche, I want my daughter/s to feel that menstruation is a positive thing, even if it can be a nuisance
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Rituals for coming of age?

I celebrated menopause - I celebrate it every day! So happy to be rid of that horrible ordeal.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

...I bought Phee her first (sports) bra. Quelle horreur.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          My mother refused to buy me a bra. But I got teased at school, so my girlfriends went out with me to get one. I hid it in my school bag and only put it on when I got to school. My period came over a year later.

RIP

You cut your hair short
          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Jesus, how old is she now?

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              Jesus, how old is she now?
              Almost 10...she doesn't need a bra for size, but for active kid+chafing and breast buds. So, sports bra for running and gymnastics and such. She's the one that wanted one. You should have seen the look on Hubby's face...I thought he was going to cry.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Almost 10...she doesn't need a bra for size, but for active kid+chafing and breast buds. So, sports bra for running and gymnastics and such. She's the one that wanted one. You should have seen the look on Hubby's face...I thought he was going to cry.
                Golly, I was 12 at least

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  Golly, I was 12 at least
                  I was 10 when I started wearing a bra & 9 when I had my 1st period, so she's gotten a little reprieve from genetics.
                  Last edited by thalassa; 03 Jan 2017, 17:41.
                  sigpic

Comment

I was 10 when I started wearing a bra & 9 when I had my 1st period, so she's gotten a little reprieve from genetics.
                    Dang. 12 and 14 here

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Maybe the proper ceremony would be a day at the spa.
                      A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

I have never been apart of any coming of age ritual but have day dreamed many times about what I'd like to do with my future kids. I ended up with a son and I plan to do something with him that involves being in the woods. Similar to all those native american stories of becoming a man by being sent into the woods....blah blah blah. So the modern version would be camping? lol. I'm sure we will add in a ritual concept somewhere and I will most likely wing it....taken I'm allowed to actually be the one to do it since it is more a guy thing. Immortal_Dragon might decide different being more Norse oriented than me. I guess we'll figure it out when our son gets older. We got several years to decide since Jacob is only 2 yr old.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                          Dang. 12 and 14 here
                          Fourteen?! You lucky late bloomer. I was 10 for a bra, 11 for menstruation. I was the first kid in the changeroom who needed to wear a bra in my grade. Because kids in the 90s were assholes, this meant that my gym strip found it's way into a toilet on more than one occasion. ...but seriously though. I don't understand bullying. I got picked on SO HARD for needing a sports bra at 10, and then when I turned 11 and got my period, I was called a slut.

I didn't even like boys at that age!

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

Fourteen?! You lucky late bloomer. I was 10 for a bra, 11 for menstruation. I was the first kid in the changeroom who needed to wear a bra in my grade. Because kids in the 90s were assholes, this meant that my gym strip found it's way into a toilet on more than one occasion. ...but seriously though. I don't understand bullying. I got picked on SO HARD for needing a sports bra at 10, and then when I turned 11 and got my period, I was called a slut.

I didn't even like boys at that age!
                            That shit f***s me off. Royally. Kids like that in my care get logic shoved down their throats very quickly.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment