Problems With Millennials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems With Millennials

Hope the link works. It is a great watch btw.

Anywho being a Millennial I found this to be very true for most of us. Something that has set with KP since watching it is he realizes that quite a bit of it points directly at him, the main part he has focused on is if you asked him how he likes his job he'd just say it was ok, and that if he found something that paid better he'd leave in a heartbeat and never look back. He hasn't "loved" what he does for a living since I met him. However when you ask him what he would rather do he has no clue, and refuses to try and do some soul searching to figure out what if anything is a job he could spend the rest of his life doing.

I have tried describing the feelings and joy I get from pastry. But I want to know from those that love what they do how did you decide your job is what you wanted to do for the rest of your life? Whats joy and upsets does it bring you?If you have at one time hated your job but now love it how did you go about starting over?(His current excuse is he now has a family he has to make sure are supported and he makes more then me)
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Re: Problems With Millennials

I don't love my job. Loving your job is great, but if it doesn't pay the bills, it's no less stressful than doing something you don't love and getting paid well to do it. I've had jobs that I love, but that never made it less of a job...at best, it made the easy days nicer, and on the bad days I still felt that I'd done something of value, but it didn't make the work any less work. In fact, I wrote this right before I left a job I loved for a far better paying job that I don't love, and I still think it holds true, though I think the idea that work is only worthwhile or fulfilling if we love it to be a bit short-sighted and thoroughly privileged. Don't get me wrong, I'd abandon what I do now for an equivalent pay dream job in a Heartbeat, and I'd even forgo a little bit of income for it too...but I wouldn't leave what I do now for even something I know I love without the money. When there are kids to take care of, jobs one loves are a luxury that can't always afforded. I don't need my job to be what love, because I can do some of that on my own time and dime...and by doing the job that do, I can afford both.r
    Last edited by thalassa; 03 Jan 2017, 18:07.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Loving your job for most of the working population is not something that happens to most. I did not hate my work before I retired,BUT to describe loving it would not have been true. As Thal said,you have to make a living,and most working people are lucky enough to be able say...with a sigh.."Its a living" and that is enough so you do not HATE what you do. There are those who have found their "I love doing this" job,but it is not,and never has been the case for the majority.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I really do agree with most of the things in the video, it just feels so much better to live life than being tied down all the time. There's really so much wonder in the world, books to read, music to listen to, sights to see, and yet when we're plugged in all the time, it's like none of it exists. And even though I don't have a smartphone, I feel much the same emotionally as the guy in the video said, I feel I can't create meaningful relationships, though not for lack of trying. All of this really makes me long to live over one hundred years ago, when things were more simple (in some ways). Yet, here we are, in a world of our ancestors' creation, and I don't think we're adequately prepared to either turn around the mess we made, or if we get in an even deeper mess and lose access to technology, our own ignorance and lack of survival skills in the wild will be a greater killer than the black plague.
        Last edited by toxicyarnglare; 03 Jan 2017, 20:34.

Comment

I think our idea that some unplugged experience was more real is most of the problem, along with the idea that individualism means that other individuals don't actually matter, and that exceptionalism=winning simply because "old people never got ribbons for good sportsmanship"--I'm not saying that to be ageist, its a quote from my nana a retired teacher, who LIKES that kids these days actually get recognized for effort. I've coached many a Millennial kid, and I'll tell you now, the kids and their attitude and work ethic have never been the problem. Little kids love the ribbons or medals, whether they win or come in dead last, they just like the opportunity to wave at their parents and friends from the stage. By 10 or 11, the participation ribbons mostly go away anyhow, and that's actually a good age for it; it has less meaning for them by then anyway. Videos like this that pretend to be edgy or clever looks into the phenomenon of generation-whatever are mostly BS promulgated by the myth of the "Greatest Generation," and that every generation since has been an increasing disappointment as torch-bearer.
          Last edited by neráida; 04 Jan 2017, 09:24.
          A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

Last edited by DanieMarie; 12 Jan 2017, 04:16.

Comment

I read a rebuttal to that viral video earlier today that's really great. Personally, I didn't like the video. I found it incredibly insulting and demeaning. Millennials are just a bunch of babes lost in the woods who can't tell their asses from their elbows

At the risk of being a sensitive, self-entitled snowflake, allow me to explore how this random middle-aged man didn't 'perfectly explain' anything.
              "Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer,
              The future's uncertain and the end is always near"

Comment

I'd also like to point out that my mom - in her 60s - is one of the heaviest social media and smartphone users I know. She's constantly on her device and uses it first thing in the morning. Her cousin (in her 70s), my dad (in his 60s), and several family friends are often the first to "like" my posts, and before I disabled facebook, I made a LOT of them. It's not just Gen Y that uses social media heavily.

Comment

Disclaimer: I only watched the first 3 minutes of the video so far.

What a pretentious load of crap, these arguments are. Because every single human on the face of the earth who was born after a certain year is identical to all the rest. This is as scientific as claiming your horoscope has something to do with your personality and character. Not to mention the false arguments he makes against parenting and teaching techniques that have actually proven to be very beneficial. But of course what do I know, let's not tell a kid they're special, let's just let them know what a little piece of crap they are, that builds character!

He's making a very generalized statement about a very large group of people that couldn't be further away from the truth. This is the classic idea of, these damns kids and their loud music, back in my day... He's just missing a cane he can shake at those 'kids' and a grumpy old man look.

I should know, I'm a grumpy old man.

I'm sorry I didn't watch the rest, if something is said there that counters my arguments I'll watch it later, can't do it right now, too tired.
                  [4:82]

Comment

Not even close to grumpy and old D....Now,I myself am VERY old,and the master of grumpy...So,be at peace..
                    Last edited by anunitu; 13 Jan 2017, 06:23.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I'm completely disinterested in making sweeping generalizations about groups of people because I find it to be completely useless to me - I have to deal with individuals, not huge groups. But if I was, say, selling trendy junk, it would be a different story.

Anyway, a couple of theoretical points come to mind -

1. If you take a vast number of people, measure a specific trait, then divide by the number of individuals measured, you get a thing called and "average." The funny thing about averages is that they give a moderately crude description of "the group," but no individual in the group may actually match the average. The upshot about this is that, no matter what you say about "a group," there will always be individual - maybe even ALL the individuals in the group, who do not match the description.

This seems like this would make the use of "averages" completely useless, but it doesn't - it depends completely on what you are using the particular average for.

2. There is a thing called "the zeitgeist," or "the spirit of the age." This is a general average attitude toward various things, created through a particular culture, accumulated through things like: education, the arts, pop culture, and intellectual trends. Notice that I've called this "a general average."

The zeitgeist does, for a variety of reasons, tend to shift (at least a bit) from one generation to another - large shifts tend to occur in cultures with ready access to mass communication, so there is some sense in defining 'generation this" or "generation that." But whether that is useful or not, again, depends on what are using the generalization for - if you are dealing with large groups the information will be much more useful than when dealing with individuals.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        I'm completely disinterested in making sweeping generalisations about groups of people because I find it to be completely useless to me - I have to deal with individuals, not huge groups. But if I was, say, selling trendy junk, it would be a different story.

Anyway, a couple of theoretical points come to mind -

1. If you take a vast number of people, measure a specific trait, then divide by the number of individuals measured, you get a thing called and "average." The funny thing about averages is that they give a moderately crude description of "the group," but no individual in the group may actually match the average. The upshot about this is that, no matter what you say about "a group," there will always be individual - maybe even ALL the individuals in the group, who do not match the description.

This seems like this would make the use of "averages" completely useless, but it doesn't - it depends completely on what you are using the particular average for.
                        I think in terms of the point he makes in the video, though, those averages have more to do with age. 20-somethings of all generations have been described in exactly the same way. I look at Millennials my own age (early to mid-30s) and see a totally different set of people with completely different problems. But I think those descriptions would have fit a decade ago. What changed? We grew up. That's what people do. They grow up. The younger Millennials will grow up, too, and then everyone will move on to talking about how Generation Z (or whatever they'll end up being called) sucks, how they're entitled, and why they're terrible at work. It's the fate of every generation to shake their canes at the younger generation and complain about how terrible they are for doing the exact same things they did when they were younger.

2. There is a thing called "the zeitgeist," or "the spirit of the age." This is a general average attitude toward various things, created through a particular culture, accumulated through things like: education, the arts, pop culture, and intellectual trends. Notice that I've called this "a general average."

The zeitgeist does, for a variety of reasons, tend to shift (at least a bit) from one generation to another - large shifts tend to occur in cultures with ready access to mass communication, so there is some sense in defining 'generation this" or "generation that." But whether that is useful or not, again, depends on what are using the generalization for - if you are dealing with large groups the information will be much more useful than when dealing with individuals.
                        This is true, but I don't particularly think he did a good job at describing the overall Zeitgeist of my generation. All he did was make some sweeping generalisations about technology and 20-somethings (he did mention that Millennials were born after 1984 - which again, is wrong by most accounts*, but he didn't actually seem to be talking about 30-something Millennials, just the same "young people" complaint the media likes to parrot). We're definitely unique in a lot of ways. Some of that has to do with technology and some of it has to do with the circumstances in which we came of age (I mentioned graduating during the financial crisis and rising living costs in cities, but there's also exploding student debt and all that jazz, at least in the US). The Cracked article above actually does a pretty good job of describing the challenges our generation faces, especially in the US.

*Pew Research starts Millennials at 1980 (http://www.pewresearch.org/topics/millennials/), William Strauss and Neil Howe (who coined the term) used 1982 as their starting year, the Chamber of Commerce uses 1980-1999 (https://www.uschamberfoundation.org/...esearch-review), The Guardian (as is the case with most of the press) uses 1980-1994 (https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ed-demographic), I had a textbook that listed us as 1978 and onwards. Generally, 1980 is a fairly well accepted starting year in most social science research (It was usually the one used when I studied marketing, which heavily involves demographics, and I proofread a lot of social science literature that uses 1980 as a starting point). I hear "but I don't feel like a Millennial" from a lot of my friends, but I think what they really mean is "I don't feel like a 20-something", because most of the press on Millennials describes 20-somethings. A lot of people I know from school shared this video, and most of them were complaining about younger people without realising that they're Millennials too.
                        Last edited by DanieMarie; 13 Jan 2017, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                          I think in terms of the point he makes in the video, though, those averages have more to do with age...
                          ...This is true, but I don't particularly think he did a good job at describing the overall Zeitgeist of my generation. All he did was make some sweeping generalizations...
                          You're probably right - I actually was more attracted to the theory, than group definitions, and I was just thinking aloud about whether it actually made sense to define groups by decades. I figured it does.

But how you describe the groups - even if people use the same term ("Millenial"), is ill defined. How that term is defined is going to be based what the definer wants to find. For example, a person interested in technology will make general or statistical statements about technology, somebody interest in quisine will talk about upper-level eating experiences.

Then, info gathered from a variety of locations, in a variety of ways is smoochted together to create an average that ends applying (approximated), at best, only to a limited number of people. Too much data, if carelessly collected and/or collated, except, maybe, as a cheap line tossed out - "Those Millenials are so socially awkward..."

So, yeah. You are looking at somethings, and this or that article about those same things is going to cause an automatic comparison between what the author says and your experience. The biggest sweeping generalizations give you the least accurate (in terms of % match to a specific individual) information.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                            I'd also like to point out that my mom - in her 60s - is one of the heaviest social media and smartphone users I know. She's constantly on her device and uses it first thing in the morning. Her cousin (in her 70s), my dad (in his 60s), and several family friends are often the first to "like" my posts, and before I disabled facebook, I made a LOT of them. It's not just Gen Y that uses social media heavily.
                            I'll be 60 in a few months and I use social media a lot. The difference between people my age and the younger generations is, I remember life without it. (I remember life before the Beatles, so.....) I can't imagine growing up with smartphones! So the perspective is totally different.
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

The age does factor in,I remember from early childhood listening to radio serials before we got a TV,and my Mom showing us her little orphan Annie decoder ring . And her 78's of Bing Crosby. Comics before the comics code kicked in. At 69(70 next month) a long span of changes..

- - - Updated - - -

Culture shifts effect the perspective of most people,the post war boom changed the adults by easing the war time stress big time. The economy boomed,and us boomers began to be born. We became adults about 1965,and moved into the Vietnam war period.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X