Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems With Millennials

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Problems With Millennials

https://www.facebook.com/VineSurvivo...2136226872420/

Hope the link works. It is a great watch btw.

Anywho being a Millennial I found this to be very true for most of us. Something that has set with KP since watching it is he realizes that quite a bit of it points directly at him, the main part he has focused on is if you asked him how he likes his job he'd just say it was ok, and that if he found something that paid better he'd leave in a heartbeat and never look back. He hasn't "loved" what he does for a living since I met him. However when you ask him what he would rather do he has no clue, and refuses to try and do some soul searching to figure out what if anything is a job he could spend the rest of his life doing.

I have tried describing the feelings and joy I get from pastry. But I want to know from those that love what they do how did you decide your job is what you wanted to do for the rest of your life? Whats joy and upsets does it bring you?If you have at one time hated your job but now love it how did you go about starting over?(His current excuse is he now has a family he has to make sure are supported and he makes more then me)
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Problems With Millennials

I don't love my job. Loving your job is great, but if it doesn't pay the bills, it's no less stressful than doing something you don't love and getting paid well to do it. I've had jobs that I love, but that never made it less of a job...at best, it made the easy days nicer, and on the bad days I still felt that I'd done something of value, but it didn't make the work any less work. In fact, I wrote this right before I left a job I loved for a far better paying job that I don't love, and I still think it holds true, though I think the idea that work is only worthwhile or fulfilling if we love it to be a bit short-sighted and thoroughly privileged. Don't get me wrong, I'd abandon what I do now for an equivalent pay dream job in a Heartbeat, and I'd even forgo a little bit of income for it too...but I wouldn't leave what I do now for even something I know I love without the money. When there are kids to take care of, jobs one loves are a luxury that can't always afforded. I don't need my job to be what love, because I can do some of that on my own time and dime...and by doing the job that do, I can afford both.r
    Last edited by thalassa; 03 Jan 2017 at 18:07.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Loving your job for most of the working population is not something that happens to most. I did not hate my work before I retired,BUT to describe loving it would not have been true. As Thal said,you have to make a living,and most working people are lucky enough to be able say...with a sigh.."Its a living" and that is enough so you do not HATE what you do. There are those who have found their "I love doing this" job,but it is not,and never has been the case for the majority.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Dec 2012
    Religion
    Pagan

I really do agree with most of the things in the video, it just feels so much better to live life than being tied down all the time. There's really so much wonder in the world, books to read, music to listen to, sights to see, and yet when we're plugged in all the time, it's like none of it exists. And even though I don't have a smartphone, I feel much the same emotionally as the guy in the video said, I feel I can't create meaningful relationships, though not for lack of trying. All of this really makes me long to live over one hundred years ago, when things were more simple (in some ways). Yet, here we are, in a world of our ancestors' creation, and I don't think we're adequately prepared to either turn around the mess we made, or if we get in an even deeper mess and lose access to technology, our own ignorance and lack of survival skills in the wild will be a greater killer than the black plague.
    Last edited by toxicyarnglare; 03 Jan 2017 at 20:34.

May 2013
    Religion
    pantheist witch
    Phrase
    magicallydelicious

I think our idea that some unplugged experience was more real is most of the problem, along with the idea that individualism means that other individuals don't actually matter, and that exceptionalism=winning simply because "old people never got ribbons for good sportsmanship"--I'm not saying that to be ageist, its a quote from my nana a retired teacher, who LIKES that kids these days actually get recognized for effort. I've coached many a Millennial kid, and I'll tell you now, the kids and their attitude and work ethic have never been the problem. Little kids love the ribbons or medals, whether they win or come in dead last, they just like the opportunity to wave at their parents and friends from the stage. By 10 or 11, the participation ribbons mostly go away anyhow, and that's actually a good age for it; it has less meaning for them by then anyway. Videos like this that pretend to be edgy or clever looks into the phenomenon of generation-whatever are mostly BS promulgated by the myth of the "Greatest Generation," and that every generation since has been an increasing disappointment as torch-bearer.
    Last edited by neráida; 04 Jan 2017 at 09:24.
    A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
    --Albert Einstein

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I dunno. I've thought about that video a lot since I saw it, and I think there's nothing in it that doesn't really just describe "young people" of any generation. I'm an older millennial, and I don't really see any of that amongst people I grew up with or know here. Excepting a few people (myself included), everyone is just working regular jobs, starting families, and buying houses like their parents before them. Most of that also applies to me, though I've never really had a steady job (and I think there were always people like me in every generation). I see how it applies to a few younger people I see around Berlin, especially expats from other countries who come here to escape for a while, but I can't help but think they'll grow out of it. We were like that, too, a decade ago. Everyone I knew from those days either went home and settled into everyday life, or settled down here and somewhat assimilated into German life. Either way, they settled down.

20-somethings of many generations have been accused of being "entitled." Sure, a lot of 20-somethings want "free food" and "beanbags", and they want fulfilment in their jobs. A lot of 20-somethings are impatient. A lot have high hopes and want to get there quickly. That tends to disappear as they hit their late 20s and 30s. As you grow up and start a family and move through your career, your priorities shift to more grounded things like paying your bills and supporting your family. This is absolutely nothing new.

I don't really get the constant talk about "participation awards" and such. There's so much talk about how our generation got them, but I've never actually heard of any real person I know getting one. I mean, we got participation ribbons for sports day when we were 6, but as we got older, medals and trophies were only handed out for actual achievements (winning sports tournaments, making the honour role, leading the school community, etc). Not everyone got one. I know a lot of people from a lot of countries, and no one ever got a participation medal or what have you past a certain age.

He talks about deep meaningful relationships for a while. I think that's also an age thing, not a generational thing. It's hard to form deep meaningful relationships. It takes time and it takes some semblance of roots. When you're in your early 20s, you're more likely to have moved (to college and then to somewhere else for work) and you haven't had time to put down those roots yet. When I was 21, I moved to Berlin from Canada. I spent years forming relatively shallow relationships that I couldn't really count on and getting into terrible romantic relationships, but I eventually made real friends and met a man I could count on (and vice versa, and we're now engaged). Observing people I know from Berlin to Vancouver Island, that's true of everyone else as well. In your early 20s, you're still figuring out who you are. Even in the absence of social media (back in "my day", social media was just getting started...MySpace was the network du jour and most people weren't on it), it's hard to form really deep ties in that context. You're still testing the waters, and part of that isn't just finding out what you like, but who you like. When you're younger, you form friendships based on circumstance — you go to the same school, live on the same street, or take the same classes in college — but in your 20s, you start to form friendships based on values. That's not a quick process, and a lot of it is trial and error. This is true in terms of dating as well. I did online dating pre-tinder, but it was all still fairly superficial. Still, you have to make a connection eventually. I met my fiance on OkCupid. We still had to go on dates and be decent people in person. I know a few people who do Tinder here, and despite all the right and left swiping, you still have to actually meet. I'm sure there are 30-somethings who use it for casual sex, but most people I know use it for actual dating. And even in the case of casual sex, you still have to MEET in most cases. It's not really all that different. As he says, deep, meaningful relationships (either friendships or romantic relationships) are complicated and take time, but we all figure that out eventually. Getting to that place is in itself a process.

Also, FYI to that guy, but most demographics sources cite 1980 as the starting year for Millennials. I know a lot of people try to push it forward in their 30s in an attempt to not get lumped in with the Millennials, but sorry, we're still Millennials.

The oldest Millennials will be hitting 37 this year. Even if we count the camps that place the starting year later (1983 is the latest I've read from actual demographics research and polling groups...) the oldest of us are hitting 34 this year. I want to hear people talk to 30-something Millennials. I think we definitely have our struggles — a lot of us started our careers in the wake of a recession and therefore got a slower start and those of us living in urban areas are facing unreal housing costs (I know a lot of people who left Vancouver because no matter how hard you work, you're never going to afford the house prices in the city and commuting to get a cheaper house leaves you no time to spend with your family and is also expensive). But I think that if people talked to 30-something Millennials, they wouldn't hear a lot of the "know-it-all" logic in the workplace and they wouldn't share the same idealistic expectations that a lot of younger Millennials have. Because people generally grow up, and we're no exception.

People in their early 20s annoy everyone. 22-year-olds tend to annoy me, and we're part of the same generation. It's not a generational thing, it's an age thing. They'll grow up at some point, and will in turn be annoyed by the new crop of 22-year-olds. It's just how things work.

I think it's ridiculous that he expects 20-somethings to have it figured out. I highly doubt his generation fared any better at that age. I've seen "Reality Bites." If they made that movie exactly as it is (maybe swapping a few of the anachronisms for their modern counterparts), it would be hailed as a summary of Millennial life. Except it's about Gen X and it was hailed as a perfect summary of Gen X life in 1994. EVERYTHING this guy said in this video is true of the characters in Reality Bites and of 20-somethings in the early 90s in general. Just swap "MTV" for "Social Media" and it all fits. Seriously.

Anyway, sorry about the unstructured rant. I'm just kind of sick of these "think pieces." They're all intensely shallow, and I think none of them really get it right.

To answer the question about loving your job, I think it's a process. I'm more of someone who pursued what I "love" without really giving a lot of concrete thought to what I wanted to do, which was tricky. Now in my early 30s, I'm split between freelance writing and working for an orchestra. Neither pay a lot, but my degree (business administration) in general is frequently listed as one of "Germany's worst paid degrees," so I doubt I'm going to be a financial success in something else, either. Writing isn't always perfect — I spend a lot of time writing stuff I don't really care about — but it's a paycheck and I like it better than a lot of other things. I love working for the orchestra. I'm not using my music diploma to work as a musician, but it's still a job that requires skills I worked on learning and I enjoy doing it. I don't love it -all the time-, but it's impossible to love something all the time.

I think the key is to find something relatively stable that you enjoy most of the time. And barring that, something that you don't hate that is relatively stable will also do.
    Last edited by DanieMarie; 12 Jan 2017 at 04:16.

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

I read a rebuttal to that viral video earlier today that's really great. Personally, I didn't like the video. I found it incredibly insulting and demeaning. Millennials are just a bunch of babes lost in the woods who can't tell their asses from their elbows

http://www.cracked.com/blog/that-ant...destroys-meme/
    "Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer,
    The future's uncertain and the end is always near"

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I'd also like to point out that my mom - in her 60s - is one of the heaviest social media and smartphone users I know. She's constantly on her device and uses it first thing in the morning. Her cousin (in her 70s), my dad (in his 60s), and several family friends are often the first to "like" my posts, and before I disabled facebook, I made a LOT of them. It's not just Gen Y that uses social media heavily.

May 2005
    Religion
    Muslim

Disclaimer: I only watched the first 3 minutes of the video so far.

What a pretentious load of crap, these arguments are. Because every single human on the face of the earth who was born after a certain year is identical to all the rest. This is as scientific as claiming your horoscope has something to do with your personality and character. Not to mention the false arguments he makes against parenting and teaching techniques that have actually proven to be very beneficial. But of course what do I know, let's not tell a kid they're special, let's just let them know what a little piece of crap they are, that builds character!

He's making a very generalized statement about a very large group of people that couldn't be further away from the truth. This is the classic idea of, these damns kids and their loud music, back in my day... He's just missing a cane he can shake at those 'kids' and a grumpy old man look.

I should know, I'm a grumpy old man.

I'm sorry I didn't watch the rest, if something is said there that counters my arguments I'll watch it later, can't do it right now, too tired.
    Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Not even close to grumpy and old D....Now,I myself am VERY old,and the master of grumpy...So,be at peace..
    Last edited by anunitu; 13 Jan 2017 at 06:23.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was