Three Books To Start A Path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Books To Start A Path

So we have general reference threads but I wanted to do something a little different. What three books (no you can't have more than three, yes you may exchange one book for another self-contained source (meaning a book for a movie or magazine but not for a tv series or magazine subscription)) would you recommend to a newbie starting on your path and why?
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Re: Three Books To Start A Path

By your path, do you mean Pagan paths in general, or the path that each individual is following, or both?

Comment

A copy of Antichrist, Superstar (the album by Marilyn Manson). It perfectly defines how to go about facing who and what you are and changing yourself to whatever you wish to become...as in your own god.

A copy of the Satanic bible. This will give you all the general purpose basic common sense of that smarty farty billy goat.

A copy of the bible. It must be read. It's the surest way to becoming an atheist.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
        By your path, do you mean Pagan paths in general, or the path that each individual is following, or both?
        My original thought was your specific path but I'm not overly picky here. You can be as general or specific as you like just as long as you don't go past 3 books.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Well my three books would be Wicca by Scott Cunningham, True Magick by Amber K, and Earth Power by Scott Cunningham. I began my journey with these books and I still stand by them. Scott Cunningham is one of my favorite authors and so is Amber K. I think they both have wonderful books.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

A World full of Gods, by John Greer
            Ancient Greek Cults, by Jennifer Larson
            Hellenic polytheism: Household Worship (Published by Labrys)

Those cover the idea of paganism, the gods, and worship, but I'd really need to add one on morality.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post

Those cover the idea of paganism, the gods, and worship, but I'd really need to add one on morality.
              If one extra book becomes a common need then I may up the limit to four. I'm looking for short lists deliberately but the choice of 3 vs 4 was largely arbitrary.

Comment

I am thinking as Duce included it,the Bible,mainly as an introduction to "Religion" as a general concept.
                For me a second book might have been "the golden bough" as an introduction to "World" religious and culture based belief

and "Bullfinches mythology" a history of varied cultures and the effects of belief combined with culture. Perhaps more,but mainly studies of the major and minor belief systems to compare the factors that made them the belief they are.
                Also why humans have these "religious" needs in their culture.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The Goddess Reawakening - Shirley Nicholson
                  Bullfinch's Mythology
                  The Bible
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    For me a second book might have been "the golden bough" as an introduction to "World" religious and culture based belief
                    I still haven't read this...

For me "a beginners guide to magic and wicca" by witchcraft magazine was a great starting point.

"Norse shamanism" is now my go to book for all basic practises, doesn't even have to be heathen related.

I can't think of a third right now.
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

My own path is so personalised that I can't imagine why anyone else would want to follow it. Others may have threads in common with me, but the whole thing, with the 3 temples and the concept of 'God Energy', I really can't imagine anyone else getting enough to want to follow it as a path.

Buuuuut...

For the fun of joining in, I guess I'd choose...

1) The Onion Girl

One of a series of novels set in a fictional Canadian city in which some characters can dream their way consciously or unconsciously into the spirit worlds. In particular the rather hazardous dream-like middle-world where not all beings you meet wish to help you. Not the happiest book in the world, hitting on some pretty dark subjects such as sexual abuse, drug abuse and prostitution, but it shows you how exploring those inner landscapes can help you to heal the deep wounds that life inflicts on you. This is an important aspect of my path. I think the novel also drives home the importance of holding onto your childlike nature regardless of chronological age, and regardless of how hard others try to destroy it. It will create a small spark of light. Not a lot of light, but just enough to light your way through the darkest times, and if you're lucky, may even inspire those around you that teeny weeny bit.

2) Liturgy of the Lyceum of Isis Myrionymous

Not actually possible to get hold of now as my former teacher has sadly passed away, but the training I did in this lyceum helped to define how I use my inner world, Rotokia. I got the concept of the inner temples from this training too, although there was originally four (Earth, Sun, Moon and Stars) rather than the three I work with now (Earth, Sea and Sky).

3) Druidcraft by Philip Carr-Gomm

One of the most recent additions to my library, this book introduced me to the idea of blending Druidism, that is a relatively new aspect of my path, with Wicca, which was a big part of my spiritual and magical experience.

If I wasn't restricted to just 3, there's a guided visualisation on youtube that guides you through almost exactly the same method I use to work magic, so I'd have included that, but that would be cheating.
                      Last edited by Jembru; 14 Jan 2017, 21:34.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post

I still haven't read this...

For me "a beginners guide to magic and wicca" by witchcraft magazine was a great starting point.

"Norse shamanism" is now my go to book for all basic practises, doesn't even have to be heathen related.

I can't think of a third right now.
                        Seeing as we're adding fiction (didn't notice) I'm adding the Earth's Children series by Jean M Auel. I kinda just want to be Ayla...

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Ritual by Emma Restall Orr
                          Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
                          Supernatural Selection by Matt Rosano
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

I feel like I need to start a book list...

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment