Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain this maths question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please explain this maths question..

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

�Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Re: Can someone please explain this maths question..

What you said is correct. In Germany for example they use the point and the comma in the opposite way people in America use them.

So in Germany 10.000 is ten thousand, while in America 10.000 is ten.

Likewise, in Germany 1,500 is one and a half, in America 1,500 is one thousand five hundred.

So I'm thinking the quiz makers come from a country that use the same system like in Germany.
      [4:82]

Comment

Damn.. the 10 in the answers was meant to be 1.0 but that ISN'T right anyway. It was my guess. (Could someone edit the post please?). I don't know how to add photos directly from my mobile but I took a screen shot of the question and answers. The right answer is definitely typed correctly.

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
        What you said is correct. In Germany for example they use the point and the comma in the opposite way people in America use them.

Likewise, in Germany 1,500 is one and a half, in America 1,500 is one thousand five hundred.

So I'm thinking the quiz makers come from a country that use the same system like in Germany.
        I think Line is a Japanese app. I knew about the German ' , ' but the fact that some answers used that while others used a '.' seems odd.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post

Hah, I can't believe I forgot about that. Man, it's been almost 20 years since I moved to the US.

Thanks for the confirmation on the theory.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Swapping those would mess me up...think I have a thousand bucks 1,000,and find it is only 1.000 dollar...darn metric system
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

This is really screwing with me. I'm going for 100
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

can i buy a vowel?
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

All I gots to say is:

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

To put you out of your misery, Juni's second answer was right. If you swap the commas for points as in the German system, then 0,001 makes sense!

Hopefully there won't be any more stinkers like this again, but if so, I'll be sure to post again!

Thanks for figuring this out for me. It was hurting my head!

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                      To put you out of your misery, Juni's second answer was right. If you swap the commas for points as in the German system, then 0,001 makes sense!

Hopefully there won't be any more stinkers like this again, but if so, I'll be sure to post again!

Thanks for figuring this out for me. It was hurting my head!
                      I was just going to suggest this! It's just a poor translation to the english version of the app haha.

I actually constantly have to correct decimals and commas in numbers when I proofread things. People here just don't know that they're the other way around in English!

If some of them used one decimal/comma system and others used the other, I wonder if they bought the data and just loaded it into the app? A lot of small app developers buy questions in packages from content creation agencies, and some of them don't review it before they load it.
                      Last edited by DanieMarie; 30 Jan 2017, 03:13.

Comment

Got a bit of a stinker tonight! How on earth do you work this out? I am guessing you have to work out the value of each number by a process of elimination, but my head is hurting from trying.

Anyone?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Never mind. I worked out the pattern and got it right!! I feel like such a smarty-pants right now!

Comment

So post the answer..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              So post the answer..
                              I don't know how to post a spoiler bar on this forum so I'll PM you, otherwise it's not fair on anyone who wants to work it out for themselves!

Comment

Working...
                              X