Obviously, God is evil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously, God is evil.

Why imagine a good god when it makes just as much sense to imagine an evil one?

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Obviously, God is evil.

Sadly, a lot of people don't think about that argument deep enough. As starters, the argument cannot be used to negate the existence of God, it only discusses the reasons for the existence of evil and the existence of God at the same time.

The second mistake is that the argument begins with "If there is a God..." but it doesn't use all the other facts that come with and are associated with God. It's a straw-man argument at best. In other words, if you are going to assume there is a God, then you have to put into consideration everything that comes with it, and not pick and choose parts to build a weak image that can easily be attacked.

If there is a God then he is all wise and all knowing. If there is a God then there is judgement day. If there is a God then all that's been taken for you will be returned. If there is a God then the wronged ones will be compensated. If there is a God the wronged will be content and satisfied with what they will be given. If there is a God the wrong ones will be punished. And so on.

But all of this is really secondary if you really, really think about it, like I said before. The argument doesn't really discuss if God exists or not. So before going into is god good or evil, shouldn't we first be concerned with, is there a god or not? How can we know for sure? And if there is a God, how can we actually say what attributes this god has?

That's the real question people should be thinking about, before moving to the other question. But that's just my opinion
    [4:82]

Comment

The video actually dealt with the idea that a (the) supreme being is "good," and the lack of evidence for such a claim, the general concept of the major religions that god is good, and the way in which the "evidence" that is summoned to support such a belief doesn't - because the exact same "evidence" also supports the opposite point of view.

That particular video is about logical and/or rational thinking (it is entirely possible to apply logic to imaginary situations - it is one of the golden virtues of logic). It supports a solipsistic word view rather than an atheist worldview.

I don't think it was intended as atheist persuasion, or, at least, not as a stand alone argument.

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
      In other words, if you are going to assume there is a God, then you have to put into consideration everything that comes with it, and not pick and choose parts to build a weak image that can easily be attacked.
      I don't think that was really a straw man argument. It dealt with one issue, and only one issue, because it wasn't intended as a major opus of proof.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

What does solipsistic mean? Sorry if it's a stupid question

The video actually dealt with the idea that a (the) supreme being is "good," and the lack of evidence for such a claim
        That's also what I think is a straw-man argument. No one in that argument is trying to proof that god is good, that's what the speaker in the video is being illogical about. It is simply an explanation, one of many, as to why a good god could exist while also evil exists. Can the same explanation be used for an evil god existing while good also exists? Sure. Can it also be used to explain the existence of a neutral god? Yep. Can it also be used to explain a powerless but good god? Of course.

But the speaker is failing to understand this. People are asked to offer an explanation, and that's what they offer. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not a proof that god is good, nor is it intended as such. But the speaker still attacks it as such, because it's easier than attacking the actual argument for the existence of god.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
          But the speaker is failing to understand this. People are asked to offer an explanation, and that's what they offer. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not a proof that god is good, nor is it intended as such. But the speaker still attacks it as such, because it's easier than attacking the actual argument for the existence of god.
          Well, we'll disagree on this - I see it as simply a limited discussion of a limited issue that isn't intended to be evidence of a larger truth. Just that people tend to conceive of a god that matches their hopes (a good god, rather than a evil god).

Solipsism is the category of philosophy that says "Because we are limited by our instruments of perception (ears, eyes, tongue, skin, nose, and brain), and the way they work ("sound" is a vibration in the air, we "hear" it because of the way our ears function. If our ears functioned differently we could smell sound, perhaps), and the tools we construct are based on and limited like our senses, we can't be entirely sure that things actually are the way they seem to be. The best we can do is try for an approximate understanding."

When applied to religion, it looks like a form of agnosticism.

Comment

Benjamin Franklin would answer "Beer".

My answer is "Pizza".
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Good point!

And also...

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Solipsism is the category of philosophy that says "Because we are limited by our instruments of perception (ears, eyes, tongue, skin, nose, and brain), and the way they work ("sound" is a vibration in the air, we "hear" it because of the way our ears function. If our ears functioned differently we could smell sound, perhaps), and the tools we construct are based on and limited like our senses, we can't be entirely sure that things actually are the way they seem to be. The best we can do is try for an approximate understanding."

When applied to religion, it looks like a form of agnosticism.
              Ah I think I get it now, thanks for taking the time to explain that for me

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

My answer is "Pizza".
                I agree with your answer!
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I live with the idea that God is a fiction,BUT I also live with the unstated thought that I will be very happily surprised if when I die my belief is proven wrong,and the "Loving" god
                  shows up and hands me a refreshing beverage and a tasty burger. Kind of like I am playing roulette and putting all my "Faith" on double Zero for a long shot.

Place your bets folks........
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Pascal's wager...

Comment

People believe and manifest that belief according to the light/darkness of their very being.

The universe don't give an eff.

There is no good or evil god. because good and evil are a man made creation.

And if you want a good or evil god..you (man) create it. And they did.

But the universe still don't give an eff.

I mean other than a human, what other thing in the universe has a good/evil anything?

nothing. The answer is nothing.

and pizza!
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Cheese has good and evil.

The hard, aged cheeses, like Assiago and Parmisian are the very embodyment of good, while those wierd chocolate flavored cheese are clearly evil.

American slices in plastic wrap are decadent, but not inherently evil, although soft cheeses, like Brie, are good-hearted, but prone to sin.

I actually have an entire theology of cheese...

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

My answer is "Pizza".
                          Beer for me plz
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            Cheese has good and evil.

The hard, aged cheeses, like Assiago and Parmisian are the very embodyment of good, while those wierd chocolate flavored cheese are clearly evil.

American slices in plastic wrap are decadent, but not inherently evil, although soft cheeses, like Brie, are good-hearted, but prone to sin.

I actually have an entire theology of cheese...
                            When I was younger I used to eat slices of cheese...in the plastic. I would push out a little piece through the plastic so it would come out smushy. That was pure goodness.

evil is hours later when it turns to toots!
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              When I was younger I used to eat slices of cheese...in the plastic. I would push out a little piece through the plastic so it would come out smushy. That was pure goodness.

evil is hours later when it turns to toots!
                              No, peeling the cheese is half the fun!!

/derail
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment