So little in Wicca is original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So little in Wicca is original

Last year, as I was studying Wicca, I came to learn that much of it is unoriginal content.
    Then, starting in november of last year, I began to compile a list of all of the elements of Wicca that were taken from other sources, in a reference article, as I began doing more in-depth research to find those elements.

As time went on and I learned more and more, I learned that there is less and less in Wicca that is original. At one point, I thought: "at least their cone of power is original", and then later I learned that it isn't. At another point, I thought: "at least that bit about having a knife in one's hair is original", and then later I learned that it isn't. At a later point, I thought: "the only original things in Wicca are the five-fold kiss, and the triple-consecrating with oil, wine, and kisses", and then later I learned that both of those practices, while still largely original, are derived from two respective earlier practices which both come from the same source.

After doing thorough research over the past few months, the reference article now appears to be complete. It is here: about wicca

Of the many discoveries listed in the article, many of them are discoveries that were made by me personally which I don't think had been made before, or at least had not been published before; others are discoveries that were made independently by both myself and other researchers; and others are things that I would not have known if they had not been discovered by other researchers.

Re: So little in Wicca is original

I put you to the test of finding ONE JUST ONE religion that didn't pump everything from other sources.

Originiality doesn't mean valuable.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Can't get the link to load. Has anyone managed to do so?
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Well yes, Gerald Gardner did not spring Wicca into being from his own imagination. There's nothing new about that--it was an admitted and unabashed amalgamation of the occult, European folklore, non-Christian religious ideas, and the writings of several people in those circles at the time. Triumph of the Moon has been out for almost two decades now...and these things were even known and admitted then.
        “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
        ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
        ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I mean Neo-Paganism is largely appropriated from other cultural and religious practices. There is even a word for it-eclecticism.

Comment

So simple,yet so much for some people to argue about...everything is from everything else..Democracy copied from Greece...humans copied from much earlier Great Apes...
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu

- - - Updated - - -

Ms.P,I copied the text from that site,and saved it to a text file. If you want it let me know.
              Thank you. Got it now. I'm not sure saying that Wicca leaned heavily on Druidism proves that Wicca is not 'original' because quite frankly, modern Druidism is hardly original either. Just because something is original doesn't make it worth following.
              Also the idea of scourging was hardly Crowley's innovations, nor even the Golden Dawn's but has been around in Christian monasticism for centuries. It's probably older than that, too.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Sealed till I get around to dealing with some issues tonight.
                "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I am reopening this thread. To quote a staff member that will remain nameless unless they choose to announce their identity,

Because as someone else already pointed out, all traditions borrow from others (predecessors). I'd like to see more real talk about that

There are however, several ground rules to be aware of:

a. The thread is shorter. If you don't know what I've removed then you don't need to. If you do then don't revive it, the results will not be benign.
                  b. I am all for the use of links to evidence that supports your position or refutes your opponent's arguments. Do not spam the thread with links designed to personally devalue your opponent. I am aware that people do stupid things on the internet. 95% of the possible idiocy you can find about someone is not relevant to discussions on PF.
                  c. If you think that you are in possession of something from that special 5% that is relevant to PF then take it to

d. I define relevant as plagiarism, criminal activity and new and interesting forms of moral depravity. If it doesn't fall into those categories then it probably isn't relevant.
                  e. Keep the remainder of this thread civil. I'm already enacting a penalty that I would've preferred not to. I can enact more if I come back to this thread.
                  f. Lydia, for the love of heaven, work on tact. It is profoundly easy to come across as aggressive on text based media and I don't like the paperwork that comes with it when people respond to that. This thread would not have required my presence if the opening post was handled better.
                  Last edited by MaskedOne; 12 Apr 2017, 18:08.
                  "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                  ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

*looks at title.

Actually, I agree. But what isn't? I mean even my LaVeyan Satanism was influenced by others. That's how the brain works. I have an idea. I add to it my own individual understanding. Viola! A new idea.

I think you are just having a 'I just got me some edumication' blues going on. It happens when we become aware.

Like when I found out what happens when you eat flaming hot cheetohs and poop in the morning. Everything is Magenta and you think you are dying. But nope, it's just flaming hot cheetohs.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Honestly, everyone is talking about neo-paganism, but even when it comes to the recons, there's so much missing, and you have to get ideas from *somewhere*. Sometimes if the gap is big enough, the best you can do is peek over at someone else's paper and see what they're doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X