Be prepared for the tick attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be prepared for the tick attack!

As an experienced outdoorsman, I can tell you that this is no idle scare story. In most of my nearly sixty years of living in Michigan, large portions of which have been spent wandering the wild places, I never saw a single tick.

The last few years, though, I've found I can't even step into the woods without being attacked by a tick. Every venture outdoors (I live in a rural area) requires a naked tick-check for me, and a tick hunt on the dogs (yes, I use high quality tick repellent on the dogs, but it only helps so much).

Already I've found a tick in my armpit.

So very, very icky. Yet another reason to be concerned about global warming.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Be prepared for the tick attack!

I've been telling people around here that it's going to be a parTICKularly bad summer....we had a warmish winter to start off with, and now with the floods, lots of snakes and other insect-eaters were killed.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Supposed to be bad with Ticks here also...My ex had Lyme thing a few years back...nasty stuff.
      Last edited by anunitu; 05 May 2017, 07:05.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

We had a persistent snow pack for five months here so I am hoping they aren't as bad as they were last year. They we're so bad they were killing the moose and spreading a brain parasite the devastated parts of the moose population. I was hiking in New Hampshire last August and had to keep brushing ticks off my legs.

The Forest Rangers in the White Mountain National Forest had to shoot a Moose that stood in the middle of the Appalachian Trail for several weeks and wouldn't move due to the amount of ticks on it's body. You could walk right up to it.
        Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 05 May 2017, 09:17.

Comment

These things do happen. Back in California after a short drought it was a crap load of frogs in certain parts,enough that the roads were slick with run over frogs.,then one year it was mice....Cats loved it,humans not so much...I worry more about super storms and effects from climate change for sure. But ticks suck(pun there somewhere)
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Pretty sure we lost a lot of frogs in the flood, too. The creek by my neighborhood was full of them the day before it happened. I mean if I walked by there, it was earsplitting! Young ones trilling like flutes, older ones playing bass. Now it's quiet. And they eat mosquitos, so that's gonna be another issue.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
              We had a persistent snow pack for five months here so I am hoping they aren't as bad as they were last year. They we're so bad they were killing the moose and spreading a brain parasite the devastated parts of the moose population. I was hiking in New Hampshire last August and had to keep brushing ticks off my legs.

The Forest Rangers in the White Mountain National Forest had to shoot a Moose that stood in the middle of the Appalachian Trail for several weeks and wouldn't move due to the amount of ticks on it's body. You could walk right up to it.
              Jesus, that's heartbreaking.

Lyme's is no joke. My father in law had it mimicking symptoms of dementia for years, and now it's presenting a "meat allergy" effect in some people.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                Jesus, that's heartbreaking.

Lyme's is no joke. My father in law had it mimicking symptoms of dementia for years, and now it's presenting a "meat allergy" effect in some people.
                The meat allergy is a different thing than the lyme issue. Still carried by ticks but not associated with the lyme disease issue from what i've been reading.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                X