X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why humans are screwed...

...and what to do about it.

Yes, the answer is "love."

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Why humans are screwed...

As I was pondering(from time to time I fall into a reverie,and not unlike a day dream,I ponder) this very idea was peculating in my melon like mind...The idea the the WHOLE species has a built in "Crazy time defect" that we never acknowledge,but are effected by.

Thanks B. De.,for posting this interesting idea.
    Also gonna give you props.
    Last edited by anunitu; 14 May 2017, 09:56.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

So we have to fight our nature instead of embracing it? I don't think so.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
        So we have to fight our nature instead of embracing it? I don't think so.

"Have to"?

No. Nobody has to do much of anything. It would be nice if they understood the choices, though.

But I admit - even that is asking a lot from some people.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          "Have to"?

No. Nobody has to do much of anything. It would be nice if they understood the choices, though.

But I admit - even that is asking a lot from some people.
          I think people do understand their choices, and they understand the consequences as well. Underestimating mankind on that point is ridiculous. Modern doomsaying.

Also, on the bit of love. You cannot force people to love eachother, you cannot force people to have any emotion towards future generations. Calling critical thinking and fact-acceptance "love of truth" is a far-fetched way for them to make a trio of love-solutions. And everyone loves truth. Their truth. The only love we need is love for one-self. True love of oneself. Knowing what makes us happy and fulfilled. And surprise ! Most times it comes from positive human interaction, so true selfishness or love for oneself is a path to cooperation and long-term thinking. Being randomly selfless and altruist only leads to disorganised and inefficient resource spending (altruist, donation-based organizations that make little impact on their fields despite the humoungous amounts of money they manipulate).

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Modern doomsaying? Oh dear...

There is no danger in ever more massive weapons, biological weapons, global warming, and stuff like that?

And regarding love... Yes, nobody can force another to love anything. It's a choice. Each person, via choice, is complicit in creating the world he/she/it lives in.

Truth? Your truth, my truth, who's truth? I don't think you were paying attention. The truth that was being presented in the lil' cartoon was the truth of verifiable external reality, not the vague, subjective "truthiness" that you are inserting into the conversation. They are two different things that happen to share the same name. Don't confuse them.

Comment

I hope I can learn to act on my love for the unborn more. I am concerned with their future, but not enough to cease using disposable nappies altogether (lol?). Corbin, I'd love your take on this as maybe we've touched on the subject of seeing humanity as a whole before. In previous posts, I've been of the opinion that individuals need to have a sense of responsibility towards their community for life to run smoothly. Sorry, so vague. You have replied something along the lines of the actualisation of the individual is of utmost importance. At some point, my preferences are going to interfere with yours. At what point do we start considering the needs of our community as a whole over the individual?

Comment

The two things are not mutually exclusive. In fact, most of the time they go hand-in-hand - what is "good" for my family, and local community, is also good for all.

If, at home, I demonstrate real love for my children, honesty, integrity, compassion, love of truth, and awareness that what happens here-and-now has long term effects that will be part of what constructs the future, my children will be aware, their children will be aware, their children's children will be aware (prolly - the future is uncertain).

This is how the world becomes better, even when I don't perfectly follow my own intentions (we also started with cloth diapers and gave up on them. Maybe the better thing would be to find a way to make recyclable diapers?).
                Last edited by B. de Corbin; 16 May 2017, 04:27.

Comment

I do get this....it turns out to be lesser of two bad things..If I used paper plates(Midrowavable) to heat my food,or use a bowl it comes to what process has the largest impact on the environment. Paper saves needing to use hot water and detergent BUT paper is made using resources,and power to manufacture them,and adds to the accumulating garbage of unrecyclables(maybe)

Many things require you to understand your Carbon footprint.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    The two things are not mutually exclusive. In fact, most of the time they go hand-in-hand - what is "good" for my family, and local community, is also good for all.

If, at home, I demonstrate real love for my children, honesty, integrity, compassion, love of truth, and awareness that what happens here-and-now has long term effects that will be part of what constructs the future, my children will be aware, their children will be aware, their children's children will be aware (prolly - the future is uncertain).

This is how the world becomes better, even when I don't perfectly follow my own intentions (we also started with cloth diapers and gave up on them. Maybe the better thing would be to find a way to make recyclable diapers?).
                    I love the recylabe diaper idea.

So why do you think it's so hard for us to extend our love of family to strangers? Even familial love has it boundaries.

I'm not so sure it's a lack of love but at times there is simply genuine incongruity with differing ways of life. We war for many reasons, not the least of these being a response to an idea. We believe our ideas are the best. Our way of living is the best. We cannot suffer defiance. One of those solutions 'love of the unborn' could be so twisted. I'm sure many nuns in Australia believed that they were doing the right thing for the child when they took in and re-educated stolen aboriginal children. Love balanced with something else...

Comment

Humans are at times close to the Animal nature in times of stress. When resources are in short supply,in some countries, and your neighbors have a more abundant amount,then as happens from time to time,the country that has little attacks the country with more. These they are predicting as water and other necessity's become scarce because of global warming,we will see wars break out,and large groups migrating like we now see from the War in Syria,but it may be in a much larger amount.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Right on Anu, that reptilian brain. It's going to be hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                          I love the recylabe diaper idea.

So why do you think it's so hard for us to extend our love of family to strangers? Even familial love has it boundaries.

I'm not so sure it's a lack of love but at times there is simply genuine incongruity with differing ways of life. We war for many reasons, not the least of these being a response to an idea. We believe our ideas are the best. Our way of living is the best. We cannot suffer defiance. One of those solutions 'love of the unborn' could be so twisted. I'm sure many nuns in Australia believed that they were doing the right thing for the child when they took in and re-educated stolen aboriginal children. Love balanced with something else...
                          I've been off work for two days, due to massive pain. I'm going to try to get this out between spasms, so if I skip niceties, or If my response lacks elegance, attribute it to that. I do need to get my mind off my current experience, though, so thanks for giving me something to talk about.

First, extending love to strangers - hard because for almost the entirety of human history, and through our evolutionary history, we lived under conditions when the bast chances for survival were to trust nobody you didn't know - family, klan, locals. Our brains are, literally, hardwired to distrust. Our brains are also hardwired to love, though - both are in our nature. As humans, we can chose which impulse we go with, though. But unless one actually makes the choice one will go with whichever impulse is, at the time, strongest. Which will be strongest is dependent on a lot of different conditions.

Second, different ways of life - yes, this is what tells us we are dealing with a stranger. Different appearance, different manner of speaking, different beliefs, different values, other differences - these things chafe, and our brains scream "Warning! Warning! Difference = stranger, stranger = danger!" It very literally takes a concious effort, and some experience with a variety of "others" before that choice will even seem to make sense. Some strangers do need to be feared, some differences are too great to overcome. But on the other hand, most differences are pretty minor. I'm old enough to remember when people in Michigan wouldn't eat tacos because they were "Mexican food." Seems pretty stupid today...

Third, about those nuns - this is where self knowledge comes in, particulary honesty, and that self-honesty we call "integrity." Compassion without these so easily goes astray. The individual can't seperate "what a person actually needs" from "what I think that person needs." In fact, the second statement invariably masquarades as the first statement, because one's personal agenda (in the case of the nuns, maybe it was "Christianize those pagan babies and save them from hell," or something along those lines) is invisible to one who has not hunted it out and met it face-to-face.

None of these things are ever going to work out perfectly. Humans aren't capable of perfection. But they are certainly capable of being a hell of a lot better than they currently are.

Comment

Did you pull your back B. De.,I have that at times,and the pain sucks.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              Did you pull your back B. De.,I have that at times,and the pain sucks.
                              Yeah, something like that, with a few other complications tossed in just 'cause God hates atheists...

Comment

Working...
                              X