Fish on Friday,and no pork,WHY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish on Friday,and no pork,WHY?

I am starting this thread for those who want to know why certain religious practices are as they are.
    NOT a question of any validity,of any religious practice,Just a place for people to ask questions,and for others to reply as to why certain aspects of religions are,and also perhaps a history about how these practices came about?

Understand I am not going to answer the questions myself,but those who ask,and those others that can answer,do so.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Fish on Friday,and no pork,WHY?

Pork has always been a bit of a problem due to its keeping qualilties, especially in hot weather. So when I was a girl I was told never to eat pork 'unless there was an R in the month.' i.e. the summer months. Probably why there are religious taboos against it in hot countries but not in northern Europe.

As for fish on Fridays, did you know that in the early Middle Ages, it was acceptable to eat beavers on Fridays because they were thought to be half meat and half fish. I'm a fount of totally useless information sometimes...
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
      As for fish on Fridays, did you know that in the early Middle Ages, it was acceptable to eat beavers on Fridays because they were thought to be half meat and half fish. I'm a fount of totally useless information sometimes...
      I think I saw that on QI

Ok I actually have a question about Jewish kosher. I get why meat and veggies don't mix, I would think that was because of the risk of contamination between the two. But I'm curious about why meat and milk can't mix?
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

As I read,the idea is that one should not eat meat and a product of said meat before it became dead and cooked meat..or something like that..Also,have you ever heard the term,"Mother and child Reunion"? It is a term to describe a meal of chicken and eggs. So the cheese and meat no no,might hold true for chicken and eggs.

Here about the Mother and child reunion.

- - - Updated - - -

So,add this biblical reason.

The Prohibition of Meat and Milk:
        Its Origins in the Text

So here.

Judaism as we know it forbids Jews 1) to cook meat and milk together, 2) to eat meat that was cooked with milk, 3) to receive any benefit from such a concoction. Yet, there is no mention of these prohibitions in the Torah. Where did this prohibition come from? The Rabbis derive this prohibition from the phrase[1] לא תבשל גדי בחלב אמו generally translated as “do not cook a kid in its mother’s milk,” which appears a total of 3 times in the Torah (Exodus 23:19, & 34:26 and Deuteronomy 14:21). But to be sure, there is little in the verse that would suggest anything beyond literally cooking a kid in its mother’s milk.
        Last edited by anunitu; 26 May 2017, 11:54.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          As I read,the idea is that one should not eat meat and a product of said meat before it became dead and cooked meat..or something like that..Also,have you ever heard the term,"Mother and child Reunion"? It is a term to describe a meal of chicken and eggs. So the cheese and meat no no,might hold true for chicken and eggs.

Here about the Mother and child reunion.

- - - Updated - - -

So,add this biblical reason.

The Prohibition of Meat and Milk:
          Its Origins in the Text

So here.

Judaism as we know it forbids Jews 1) to cook meat and milk together, 2) to eat meat that was cooked with milk, 3) to receive any benefit from such a concoction. Yet, there is no mention of these prohibitions in the Torah. Where did this prohibition come from? The Rabbis derive this prohibition from the phrase[1] לא תבשל גדי בחלב אמו generally translated as “do not cook a kid in its mother’s milk,” which appears a total of 3 times in the Torah (Exodus 23:19, & 34:26 and Deuteronomy 14:21). But to be sure, there is little in the verse that would suggest anything beyond literally cooking a kid in its mother’s milk.
          I guess that makes a certain kind of sense. I quite like the sentiment.

I never heard of that. Kind of a morbid name for a dish, no? Very straight forward though.
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

(Mother and Child Reunion is a Paul Simon song.)

I remember being told we ate fish on Fridays to honor Christ being the fisher of men.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Yea his song inspired by a menu in a Chinese restaurant(At least the name for the song)

Never heard that on about fisher of men.
              Last edited by anunitu; 26 May 2017, 15:51.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I always heard the fish thing on Fridays went back to the association of Christianity and the symbol of the fish (Salmon) during Roman times. Sort of precedes the cross imagery and perhaps even the concept of the fisher of men.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The fish symbolism comes from the Greek word for fish Ichthus, or IΧΘΥΣ, (also ΙΧΘΥϹ) which is an acrostic (?) for Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ", (meaning Jesus Christ, son of God, Saviour). And I suppose if the Crucifixion took place on a Friday that would be the connection there. Just a thought.
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Eating fish on Shabbat (Friday) is a very Jewish custom with a wealth of explanations and lore associated with it. The most common tends to center around the notion that, because God sanctified fish on Thursday, humanity on Friday and the Shabbat on Saturday, one will be blessed threefold by eating fish on Shabbat.

Comment

Interesting,Did not know that..Might have to check about the whole Jewish Ritual stuff.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                      X