Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People who try to convert you, and your reactions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who try to convert you, and your reactions.

So today proved to be a rather interesting day for me, as my simple trip to the mall, to pick up a new book, wound up in my being prosthelytized by not one but two Christian Missionaries. The first one actually had the nerve to be waiting in the Metaphysics section of our local Borders Bookstore, for the opportunity to 'save a soul.' Meanwhile, the second, and some 'friends' of his, were lurking around our mall's Children's Play-Area.

The first missionary, upon receiving my polite declination of her offer to 'come chat with me and my friends from the Bible School,' simply would NOT take know for an answer. Finally, I found a strange, NEW!, humor in her despiration and started to giggle. I couldn't even help it! Finally, after her stating that she would pray for me, I side-stepped her and proceeded to the cash register. After leaving the store, I wandered around the mall for a bit (bored) until the second guy found me. Again, he was very polite, but as soon as he began to speak, I instantly knew that he was 'shoving the book,' told him NO and walked off.

Frankly, I wish I could have handled these situations in a more graceful manner, but I was pulled so far out of my Comfort Zone by the nerve of these people that I found myself incapable of reacting in any other way. Granted, I was raised in a very VERY Christian-strong community, but even THEY weren't as pushy as these people from today! These guys actually managed to creep me out, and I'm the kinda guy who finds strolling through a 200 year old cemetery at midnight relaxing!

So, lets hear your experiences and, most importantly, your reactions to them.

Blessed Be
    )O(
    Artemaes Dante

Re: People who try to convert you, and your reactions.

My reactions vary greatly. It depends on my mood, mostly, but also what I may get caught in the middle of.

First, the classic example of my wife's reaction to any door-to-door *perversion*, as she calls it: Answer the door, shake hands, then explain that they caught her in the middle of cleaning the toilet. In saying that it's a bad time, as such, she doesn't ever have much of an exchange to go over. And I'm sure it leaves a lasting impression.

Myself? I'm usually quite receptive. I'll invite them in for tea. I've had a good deal of wonderful conversations about religions, beliefs, faith and the different perspectives on spirituality. I've gathered quite the collection of Bibles and literature from all sorts of prosyltizers and people sharing their sense of glory. Some conversations quite literally took place over days and even weeks - staying in touch and meeting up again.

On very rare occasions, though, I get a wild hair up my ass and don't really care how bad I scare someone. Since these are usually younger people, with a good deal of naivete, it's easy to give the impression that they just came to the door of a serial killer, looking for more human sacrifices. I appreciate volunteers!

Just as an example. I mean, one time I invited this couple in for a bite of dinner - fresh road kill, "I found a dead skunk out on the highway."

But, as I say, NORMALLY I'm really nice. Probably making their day, with my hospitality and generosity... but I didn't come by the nickname 'turdbucket' purely by accident.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

The only time I ever got approached was short and sweet. I was standing in front of borders with some other people that were the all-black wearing goths and some punks. It was the crowd I hung out with sometimes, but not necessarily how I was. so me and two other people are just standing there minding our own business and some random guy comes up and says "Did you know that Jesus loves you?"

I just said "Yep" and walked away. lol.

These days it'd be a little more complicated I believe... and depends on their responses.
      "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

I haven't had any particularly interesting confrontations. I tend to just say thanks but no thanks. The most amusing one happened to someone I know. He was in the middle of making dinner and answered the door holding a bloody knife. Never seen anyone scatter so fast!

Comment

I had a 20 minute long conversation with a couple of Jehova's Witness ladies once. It was an older and a younger lady. They were nice. They gave me a pamphlet and after me explaining my views for a little while, they went away and never came back. It actually wasn't as bad an experience as most people seem to have, but I wouldn't invite them into my home because...well, it's my home and my sanctuary and I generally don't go around explaining why I believe what I believe for giggles and grins.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

For me, it depends on if I was asleep when they rang the doorbell.

If I was conscious at the time the missionary arrived, I would answer the door, give them a 'thanks but no thanks' and close the door. Woe betide the fool who rings the doorbell again.

If I was asleep, my reactions vary. I sleep in the nude. It can be startling. If I haven't gotten much sleep, I am a very angry naked woman when confronted by salespeople and proselytizers. I don't have any social filters up when I've been roused and haven't had my coffee.

Haven't gotten many proselytizers these past coupla years. Dunno why. I wish the door-to-door salespeople would learn.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

It doesn't really happen to me. People in Berlin aren't overly religious. I've had a few Atheist friends try to get me to see the logic of atheism (because they feel it's the only logical choice) but we just agree to disagree and that's that. I heard them out but obviously they're not going to change my mind.

Comment

Depends on where it happens. Away from the computer, it depends on how the person approaches me and my mood that day. When I lived in NH the first time, there use to be a Jehovah's Witness who came around once a month or so. Always the same older lady with a younger person. She was nice, I liked talking to her. She knew I wasn't going to convert, and she was never really pushy about that. She came, gave me the literature for that month (what can I say, I find it interesting) and would share a relevant passage from the Bible. Sometimes we would chat a bit more, other times that was it and she was on her way.

However, what really pissed me off? People who would come in to my work and hand out their tracts to me. Uh, no, I don't freaking think so. I'm not getting paid to be preached to, thanks. I found that to be so amazingly rude and had no problems letting them know that.

Other people I find rude? The ones who can NOT take no for an answer. Had some Mormons come to the door in WA, and were so pushy and down right intimidating. They suggested that I get in the car with them to go to their temple. I'm not getting in the car by myself with three men I don't know... Had to shut the door on them.

Usually I just say no thanks and walk away. Most people don't seem interested in pushing it.

Online? Usually a different matter. It's much easier for me to talk to people online, so I'm willing to get in to long discussions with people who want me to convert. Both showing them why their tactics are not effective (nothing like tearing down Pascal's wager), and trying to give them some correct information about paganism along the way. Sometimes it's like bashing my head against a brick wall, but most of the time it's fine.
                Oh man, pretty sure I've told this story - one woman knew I was pagan and wanted to convert me. We talked for several days about her misconceptions about pagans... then she told me I needed to get out of the occult because of human sacrifice. She cited this website - http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0702/wiccans.html Yes, seriously, someone cited landover baptist as a legit news site. I still don't know if it was an elaborate troll set up or what, but it was epic. :P
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I was actually ambushed by some rude guy at Barnes and Noble on Friday. I was browsing the new age section when he comes up and starts telling me I'm going to hell for reading those books. I laughed and thanked him for his opinion. He kept trying to get me to go to his church to "Save my soul". I asked him how his church feels about gays, because I was one of those too, and he shook his head and walked away. I was a bit amused, but I was also annoyed that he interrupted my book shopping!
                  It does not do to dwell in dreams and forget to live - Albus Dumbledore

Comment

When I was younger and more naive, I used to quite enjoy getting into arguments with fundies. Nowadays it's more a case of 'no ta' and sending them on their merry way.

My boyfriend often just says 'Not my God, sorry', and tends to ignore whatever response they give.

They do like to pounce on us in town though, especially when we're wearing our most gothy clothes/makeup. You can see their eyes light up when they see us, XD.

Once, as we were walking away from one group in town, they yelled 'We'll pray for you!'.

My boyfriend said 'If that makes you feel good, fine. It won't make much difference to us.'

'...Well, we'll still pray for you anyway!'
                    "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

When I am home I usually answer the door in various stages of nekkidity ... That about does it for them ... When I am out and about it is the "Sorry but I don't care to worship someone that required genocide" ... But there are quite a few times I have had really good discussions with people about their beliefs ...
                      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

some great ideas here!

We get the same 2 JW's here every 2 weeks, early on Saturday. One guy looks older than dirt and the young lad is still learning the ropes.
                        I have been polite, as is my way. I have told them , politely, that I am not interested in converting.
                        But still they return. Sometimes I ignore the bell and they just leave their propaganda, which I use to light the fire.

maybe next time I will come to the door with everything Pagan I own on, and tell them that I am in the middle of a seance ( or sacrifice ;D )
                        What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

When I get really fed up, I usually try 'Which part of the word NO do you not understand?'
                          It doesn't always work.
                          Sometimes they don't understand it.
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

i like to play the deconversion game with them, when i lived in Bearwood, in Birmingham a few years ago, my housemate used to take the mickey out of me because i would have a conversation with a JH who came to the door every 2 weeks or so, he would talk, i would ask difficult but intersting questions (what happened to Jesus in teh 12 years we don't hear about in the Bible, Why was it not noted that he was unmarried at 30 years old, Is it conceivable that Mariam, his mother remained a Virgin after marrying Yusef?" etc, he would have to go away and research the answers and come back. most of the time he couldn't answer, but it made him question the bible and what he had always been taught. Last time i saw him, he had left the JH and was reading more about religion, i think he is an anglican vicar now

Since being in Derby, i had a couple of JHs visit but now they steer clear of my house, That was until they reasilsed my Wife was at home when i was at work. They would intimidate her, she isn't really interested in religion etc so they scare her So she put up a "No door to door and Religious callers" sign and left it at that.

M
                            In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

I would LOVE for someone to try and convert me. No one has tried. I guess people in Indiana don't really care.
                              SPQR

Comment

Working...
                              X