Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ich mag Deutsch

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Militant Atheist. The Satanic Temple.

Ich mag Deutsch

I'm trying to learn German.

I'm very much so a beginner so I've downloaded Memrise, Duolingo, Babel, signed up for CoffeBreakDeutsch, listen to videos on the internet, and do my best to drill at least one of these all a day.

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers, experience, or just wanted to teach me some cool phrases that you think will be useful!

Los geht's!
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: Ich mag Deutsch

Not so much pointers,but having had in laws who were VERY german,and having had to attend some family gatherings where every one but myself spoke German,and a lot of alcohol was consumed. I was a bit lost in a house full of loud and kinda drunk Germans,it got kinda intimidating. Good luck with your learning German..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

I learned Gernmam in school so I had a good starting point. If you can get your hands on a beginner grammar book you're off to a good start, because the grammar is hands down what I had the most difficulty with (And I haven't used it much in the last 7 years so it's rusty). But there are a lot of little rhymes to help. I'm a musical person so all the memorizing stuff was a lot easier for me with a little sing song rhythm.
    ' ich bin. Du bist. Er/sie/es ist. Wir sind. Ihr seid. sie/Sie sind.' That's the first thing that was drilled into my head.
    I also used to read a lot of German youth magazines, they were better than the Danish ones... even bought one of my favourite books in a German translation. Watched a lot of interviews and stuff on YouTube. And of course spent quite a bit of time in Germany.
    I'd probably say exposure to the language is a good way to start... I learned English from scratch watching children's shows - you know the one where they spend 10 minutes counting to ten really slowly and then sing some annoying song. It might feel silly, but when you don't know the language, they're a good starting point. There are probably some available on YouTube.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

I'm wanting to learn German too. I've got a German book and a few school books that I was able to obtain from the library. I guess it's like anything else worth learning. Just keep at it.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

I have forgotten all my German. I took night classes for a while and was in the 'advanced' class but it was pre-intermediate at best (it's just the way adult learning is organised here).

I'd really like to pick it up again at some point though. It's a beautiful language.

When I was in Germany I was teaching myself from an awesome (but very dated) audio course by Deutche Welle called Deutch Warum Nicht in which the learner follows the daily life of a German college student who has an invisible elf that follows him around and talks to him. It was good fun for a free course.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

I spoke and understood French as a kid,it was because My Grand Mother lived with us for a while. Although she could speak perfect English,she would not. She was French Canadian,originally from Paris. We kids had to learn french when she was living with us,and after she died,My Father would not allow us to speak it anymore. Use it or lose it,I can understand a little spoken french now,but not speak it anymore.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Jun 2013
    Phrase
    Roses are red, violets are blue. The next one is false, the last one was true!

I recommend finding other German speakers or learners to practice with. As good as the apps and flashcards are, you'll gain fluency faster if you can take those phrases and put them into actual conversations. I don't remember a single flashcard I've written, but I remember googling the word bed to tell someone about my weekend

Oct 2010
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Chessa View Post
    I recommend finding other German speakers or learners to practice with. As good as the apps and flashcards are, you'll gain fluency faster if you can take those phrases and put them into actual conversations. I don't remember a single flashcard I've written, but I remember googling the word bed to tell someone about my weekend
    That's why HelloTalk is so awesome!!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

May 2005
    Religion
    Muslim

Good advice in this thread!

You can also try to start with things that are useful, practical and relevant to you. You want to be able to talk about a certain 'topic'? Learn nouns, verbs and adjectives related to that topic. Then start forming sentences using the new vocabulary you learned. Then practice with someone who speaks the language.

Makes mistakes, doesn't matter, just try to express yourself with the new language you are learning. It's all about communication. With time you'll perfect your language.
    Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Oct 2010
    Religion

Dumuzi has reminded me of something that helped me with Japanese. I kept (sometimes still do) a video/audio journal. This not only helped to improve my speaking away from the ears of others, but also helped me to learn the words and phrases needed to talk about my everyday life. Things I'd never learn from a text book.

Lang8 is good if you want to practice writing and get some feedback from native speakers, for the same reason; you're writing a diary, so learning the vocab most important to you. HelloTalk allows this too of course (and you can share images and audio as well as make free calls with your exchange partners, none of which lang8 can do), but it's only available on your mobile. If you like typing on a pc then lang8 is the best option at the moment. I find I write much longer posts on lang8 for some reason, but love the accessibility and social media feeling of HelloTalk.