Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ich mag Deutsch

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Ich mag Deutsch

I liked learning languages... though found Latin hard. And didn't have the opportunity to learn Welsh properly (believe it or not it was only optional when I was young, whereas it is compulsory in schools here now.) I can speak and understand a bit, but not like Mr P. (There is a lovely song in Welsh in Empire of the Sun : https://youtu.be/yyf059psVew )

I am better at reading French and German than speaking it though (I still need to translate foreign history journals sometimes for my own work). I also enjoy watching foreign films in the original language. It's surprising what you pick up from that... I am starting to get a smidgin of Swedish now...

As to enjoying foreign films...so does Mr Penry. Especially Das Boot (I think he knows the uncut version by heart now and can watch without subtitles.) I hate dubbed films. One horrible example was Asterix and Obelisk Mission Cleopatra... the dubbed version just cut and missed out so much.

As Dumuzi says - never be afraid to make mistakes. On one memorable trip to Egypt I kept using my handful of words until I began to learn more that way. Plus, as my father always told me, it's polite to attempt the language. Never mind if you get it wrong, people usually appreciate the gesture.
    Last edited by Tylluan Penry; 03 Jun 2017 at 01:30.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    I liked learning languages... though found Latin hard. And didn't have the opportunity to learn Welsh properly (believe it or not it was only optional when I was young, whereas it is compulsory in schools here now.) I can speak and understand a bit, but not like Mr P. (There is a lovely song in Welsh in Empire of the Sun : https://youtu.be/yyf059psVew )

I am better at reading French and German than speaking it though (I still need to translate foreign history journals sometimes for my own work). I also enjoy watching foreign films in the original language. It's surprising what you pick up from that... I am starting to get a smidgin of Swedish now...

As to enjoying foreign films...so does Mr Penry. Especially Das Boot (I think he knows the uncut version by heart now and can watch without subtitles.) I hate dubbed films. One horrible example was Asterix and Obelisk Mission Cleopatra... the dubbed version just cut and missed out so much.

As Dumuzi says - never be afraid to make mistakes. On one memorable trip to Egypt I kept using my handful of words until I began to learn more that way. Plus, as my father always told me, it's polite to attempt the language. Never mind if you get it wrong, people usually appreciate the gesture.
    I'm gonna be more than a bit impressed if you learn Swedish! I hardly understand it, and it's quite close to Danish. My brain just doesn't compute it. I understand Norwegian (bokmål at least. Nynorsk is a whole different language).
    I speak and read English, German and Danish.. I got a 12 (equivalent of an A) in Latin in school but I i think I've forgotten all of it... I used to speak and read some Spanish from spending a few summer's in Spain. And a bit of Italian from babysitting a couple of Italian kids, that was mostly just along the lines of 'no stop that!' And 'come back here!'.
    I would love to learn Welsh, I love all the weird noises ... there's a guy from my improv team who speaks Xhosa, now that language is soooo cool.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Jun 2013
    Phrase
    Roses are red, violets are blue. The next one is false, the last one was true!

Learn all the children's songs! When you learn a new word that's in a song you know, you'll have a bit more context for the word, they're simple enough that you can learn them even when you have a limited knowledge of the language, and they're usually catchy enough that it's like a mini lesson running through your head all day!

( I did a little googling and found this http://www.mamalisa.com/?p=235&t=ec&c=38 )

- - - Updated - - -

Learn all the children's songs! When you learn a new word that's in a song you know, you'll have a bit more context for the word, they're simple enough that you can learn them even when you have a limited knowledge of the language, and they're usually catchy enough that it's like a mini lesson running through your head all day!

( I did a little googling and found this http://www.mamalisa.com/?p=235&t=ec&c=38 )

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Quote Originally Posted by Chessa View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget the BEST German kids song EVER..

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

I took one year of German in 9th grade and still remember quite a bit, over 40 years later. I liked it.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    I took one year of German in 9th grade and still remember quite a bit, over 40 years later. I liked it.
    Really? You have a better memory for languages than me then! I studied German for 2 years and while nowhere close to competent, I was able to do do groupwork with my classmates in German. I even sang the song I posted above in front of the class and got them all to join in, yet when I heard it again earlier, some of the words were totally alien to me now (it came back after a few plays though and now it's stuck in my head!).

I used to suspect I have something wrong with the language centres of my brain. When I quit German to pick up Japanese again, I had to go right back to basics after just a 2 year break. 6 years on my Japanese is coming along nicely but almost all my German is gone. It's really frustrating because it feels like all those hours I'd put in, and the cost of the night classes, was wasted.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

I'm a hands on type of person, and I find that for Spanish, owning a few grammar books and English-Spanish (or in your case, German) dictionaries really come in handy.

Memrise and Duolingo are great (Have you checked out Lingvist? Hellotalk? Lang8?) ...but they are designed to teach you intuitively. They don't teach you the why of a phrase, only the phrase itself. It's more formal, but its definitely beneficial to learn the verb conjugates around the words you're going to use - past, present, future, conditional tenses.

Also, check out podcasts. I don't know any specifically for German, but there's loads for french and spanish, so I can only assume there are also for German.

Also...keep a notebook. Get a blank book, and every time you learn a new word - write it down. It helps with long term memorization. I do that for Spanish, and I organize it by type (did I just learn a piece of furniture? into the house pile of nouns!) - a colour - a number - a place, or a set of directions? Etc.

Watch German movies, read German children's books. For Spanish, I've been reading poetry, and writing the translations above it. Listen to German music, German news, etc.

Submerse yourself.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Militant Atheist. The Satanic Temple.

I found the entire Rosetta Stone for German for $50 and it's already installed and activated on my computer. SUPER! ^_^

That seems like a good start.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.