Making Up Your Own Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DEBATE! Making Up Your Own Religion

So I was looking through my profile on here and under religion it said Christian, which I am not however I did put that there back in the day. I use to be. Anyways I have never really had alot of experience in any religion. Mainly it is because most religions have something I do not believe in or I think is crazy. I do believe in a higher power, although not necessarily a "god". So slowly I started just believing in things I thought to be true but not pinning msyelf down to any religion. So my real question is, Do you see anything wrong with a person constructing there own religion for themselves and not pressuring others to join?

Re: Making Up Your Own Religion

Not really.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

That is good, cause I do not really see anything wrong with it either. However if you were in my shoes and someone ask me my religion or if I was spiritual or what I believed in, how would you simply put it?

Comment

Although I call my religion 'Paganism', it is such a vague term that I'm yet to come by two pagans with identical beliefs. Even wiccans from the same coven seem to each have their own take on the religion, at least in my experience. I'm yet to find anyone with even a similar path to mine, which I have openly admitted is my own construction. I think this approach is pretty common even outside of Paganism. It's nice to build your own personal relationship with the Divine instead of trying to force yourself into a system that someone else designed. It comes down to personal taste in the end though.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

So here are some things I believe in and do not believe in. I wouldnt mind a few suggestions on some reading or topics to look up.

- I do not believe there was a god who created the earth.

- I do not believe in miracles.

- I believe we evolved over millions of years.

- I think women and men are equal in every aspect. Besides the obvious.

- I think its possible to interact with spirits or elements.

- I do think people could have the ability to read peoples minds if there mind is strong enough. I could have swore one time I heard someone thinking about me and there mouth was not moving so I thought I as hearing there thoughts. I never figured out what happened.

- Sex before marriage is a must (just threw that in there anyways even though I didnt have too).

- Also that whole 10% tithe with the Christians is harsh and makes no sense, even if it is in the bible.

- I really really no not care about gay marriage.

- Congregating is not my thing and do not feel its necessary.

There is plenty more but I can not think right now. If you can suggest religions to read into please do I am always up to learn more stuff. Thanks

Comment

Personally I think everyone regardless of which religion they claim to be following is making up their own religion and specifics unless they follow the dogma of a specific pathway to the exact letter. While a group may follow many of the rules and requirements in a similar manner and appear to be the same even then I do not think they are exactly the same. Though I personally think there are many who have a pubic face and a personal face when it comes to their religion and how they present it.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuya View Post
              So I was looking through my profile on here and under religion it said Christian, which I am not however I did put that there back in the day. I use to be. Anyways I have never really had alot of experience in any religion. Mainly it is because most religions have something I do not believe in or I think is crazy. I do believe in a higher power, although not necessarily a "god". So slowly I started just believing in things I thought to be true but not pinning msyelf down to any religion. So my real question is, Do you see anything wrong with a person constructing there own religion for themselves and not pressuring others to join?
              Yes to some extent. If people make up their own religion, well it would be a cult.

Comment

Please define "Cult"

Or look here.
                Last edited by anunitu; 27 Jul 2017, 12:34.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

What exactly is a "pubic face"?

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    I'm presuming Monsno meant public face. Emma Alex who you might also have been responding to was a bot that would take a prior post, replace words with synonyms and repost it.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Please define "Cult"

Or look here.
                      This is my own definition of cult: A small group of people who worship an idol.

Comment

Do you mean something like the "Cult of the Madonna",also known as the "Cult of Mary"?

In general a cult is one that is not based on the accepted belief systems.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                          Yes to some extent. If people make up their own religion, well it would be a cult.
                          A cult? ^^ We're not talking about recruiting others to follow our paths (and even then it's not necessarily a cult. All religions start with a single person after all). I'm quite happy being the only person who follows my version of Paganism. I don't think one person can make a cult... although I DO give most of my income to myself so maybe...

The person had just paraphrased Monsno's final paragraph. Yhe kids I worked with at the college did this using Google translate so the teachers couldn't tell they'd copied and pasted. Luckily the street cleaners have been along and removed them.

Oh Masked One beat me to it!
                          Last edited by Jembru; 27 Jul 2017, 13:34.
                          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                            A cult? ^^ We're not talking about recruiting others to follow our paths (and even then it's not necessarily a cult. All religions start with a single person after all). I'm quite happy being the only person who follows my version of Paganism. I don't think one person can make a cult... although I DO give most of my income to myself so maybe...

The person had just paraphrased Monsno's final paragraph. Yhe kids I worked with at the college did this using Google translate so the teachers couldn't tell they'd copied and pasted. Luckily the street cleaners have been along and removed them.

Oh Masked One beat me to it!

Three posts and three craptastic paraphrases, at least one of which was my notification that I'd stickied a thread. At a certain point, one is either

1) a bot and subject to summary permaban or
                            2) trying so hard to be a bot that they should be awarded with a bot's fate, namely summary permaban
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I had noticed a certain strange sentence structure,but the Death notice thread really showed the oddness of the reply's.(Bot,or an AI app,or as Mask said an attempt at seeming an app)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X