Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making Up Your Own Religion

Originally posted by Tetsuya View Post
    So here are some things I believe in and do not believe in. I wouldnt mind a few suggestions on some reading or topics to look up.
    You may find this thread (locked now, because its old, but still useful) helpful in formally defining your beliefs to have a better idea of where to look.
    http://www.paganforum.com/showthread.php?8920-creating-a-belief-self-inventory/page3
    Last edited by thalassa; 28 Jul 2017, 08:58.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Wow, those are some good questions to ask myself. Thanks!

Comment

Whats the difference between a Pagan and a Neo-Pagan? I kinda know a little about neo-pagans due to reading and looking up information trying to figure myself out. I need some enlightenment.

Comment

Whats the difference between a Pagan and a Neo-Pagan? I kinda know a little about neo-pagans due to reading and looking up information trying to figure myself out. I need some enlightenment.
          It's an interesting distinction between the two, as all neopagans are pagan, but not all pagans are neopagan. The way I look at it, neopagans take a collection of "old world" ideas and beliefs and marry it with today's modern world to try to reconnect with nature and the natural world without losing sight of how things are and adapting to make it world for you. It's a further distinction that can be used regardless of what "flavor" of pagan you are.

Comment

IMO: All Pagans are "Neo-Pagan" (not a word I generally use, I generally use contemporary Paganism if I add the descriptor in there). It would be better to say all Pagans are pagan, but not all pagans are Pagan. Big-P Paganism is (Contemporary) Paganism is--a term referring to one (or several) of many distinct spiritual paths, rather than one unified religious tradition that is generally polytheistic and/or Earth/nature-centered and generally (but not always) incorporates the use of ritual and/or magic(k) that may either be inspired by a reconstruction of, or an eclectic mix of one or multiple pre-Christian pagan faiths and other (little-p) pagan religions such as Buddhism, Hindu, and indigenous religions etc. Little-p paganisms is simply any religion that isn't Abrahamic (what my Catholic bestie calls the JCI religions--Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). Sometimes recons and others like to say they aren't neo-Pagan, but that's usually their rejection of Paganism being equated with Wicca and the Wiccanish flavor of eclectic Paganism that is generally practiced in public rituals and the like simply because most Pagans are familiar with it (since most Pagans have historically found Paganism through Wicca).
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Though Isaac Bonewitz doesn't get much credit for it anymore I think the term Neopagan still owes a lot to his attempt to get paganism in general broken down into Paleo, Meso and Neo paganism categories. Though the term Neo-pagan also goes back at least as early as the 1960's and gets tied to the feminist movement influence and to a degree the so called hippie movement's influence on the budding occult / pagan movement in the US.

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
              X