Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?

Nov 2010
    Religion
    I made my own, for myself, with no name.

What is the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?

Exactly as the title says. Story time UP! Im gonna be writing mine up. Share your wisdom!

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: What is the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?

Never,ever believe you are master of your fate completely. At times the ground will shift under your feet,because as the saying goes,"S*it happens".
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

When things get so bad that it seems as if the end is coming on like a sudden bout of diarrhea, and you're sure that there is nothing that will save you, and that the entire world is about to go up in greasy black smoke, and that everything you love is about to go down into the great dark, take some time out for a little bit of good quality cheese.

I mean really, what's it gonna hurt?
    I am the sword,
    The wound,
    The stain,
    The scorned transfigured child
    Of Cain

Amendment 25, Section 1
    In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation... (Let's all think happy thoughts)

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Love isn't always enough.
    We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights.

Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart.

Hot Pickle!

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

“Leaving is not enough. You must stay gone. Train your heart like a dog. Change the locks even on the house he’s never visited. You lucky, lucky girl. You have an apartment just your size. A bathtub full of tea. A heart the size of Arizona, but not nearly so arid. Don’t wish away your cracked past, your crooked toes, your problems are papier mache puppets you made or bought because the vendor at the market was so compelling you just had to have them. You had to have him. And you did. And now you pull down the bridge between your houses, you make him call before he visits, you take a lover for granted, you take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. Make the first bottle you consume in this place a relic. Place it on whatever altar you fashion with a knife and five cranberries. Don’t lose too much weight. Stupid girls are always trying to disappear as revenge. And you are not stupid. You loved a man with more hands than a parade of beggars, and here you stand. Heart like a four-poster bed. Heart like a canvas. Heart leaking something so strong they can smell it in the street.”

Frida Kahlo to Marty McConnell

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

Do for yourself, before you do for others. I know at first it comes across as something very selfish but in the end ourselves are all that we really have. Too long have I spent putting things on hold with my own life so that there would be a chance that it would be something greater when another person can be part of it, or comes along, or gets their own things in order, only to realize that it just may not happen and I've postponed too much for naught. I know there is that saying to live each day as if it were your last, but that is not quite what I'm getting at. You may not be the master of your own destiny or fate as Anuniti said, but you do have control over yourself. You cannot do for others unless you can do for you.

That, and cats. I don't think I could live well or be happy without a feline friend around.
    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
    That, and cats. I don't think I could live well or be happy without a feline friend around.
    Yes! Cats... and dogs! Those beautiful alien minds that live in our homes and love us.
    I am the sword,
    The wound,
    The stain,
    The scorned transfigured child
    Of Cain

Amendment 25, Section 1
    In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation... (Let's all think happy thoughts)

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Be true to yourself, and leave others alone to do the same. You'll get along with some, but not all. Be your own BFF.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Jun 2013
    Phrase
    Roses are red, violets are blue. The next one is false, the last one was true!

Sometimes, you've got to be the bad guy in order to do the right thing

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I should really call this "Things I learned in the military," but FWIW:

1) Take amusement in the small banalities and oddities of life, it makes even a bad day more tolerable.
    2) Accept what you have while you work for what you want.
    3) Even small victories are victories.
    4) Ideological purity is heresy against being human.
    5) Good leaders do not demand respect because they do not need to, they earn it through their actions.
    6) Never trust someone that demands loyalty, they are only out for their ego.
    7) Do not rush change, it usually brings about a backlash that causes regression worse than the conditions that existed before the change.
    8) No matter how bad it is, suck it up buttercup, it could always be worse.
    9) Anyone can do anything--there is nothing that a human being cannot be driven to, but there is also nothing that a human being cannot be lifted to either.
    10) What you do is more important than what you are. (this is probably due to the differences in rank structure between the Navy and the other branches of the service)
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Choices matter more than talents

Almost all skills have lessons that can be applied to other skills if you look deep enough. If you haven't found the lessons yet then either you aren't looking deep enough or you don't have sufficient skill.

People who speak with absolute certainty on complex matters are more often than not either
    Ignorant (the literal definition not the common use) or
    Idiotic

There are exceptions to the above rule, just not a lot of them.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis