Baby Names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Names?

So a friend of mine is having a baby. His Ex is pregnant and he was wanting a unique name for his kid(if she even lets him have a say lol). So what are some unique baby names. I dont want any plain jane names. Which I know people opinions will be different as to what is "unique" So just post what you consider unique or really good uncommon names. If the name has a meaning that you know of let me know. (If you dont know you dont need to look it up) Thanks guys if he chooses it I will let them know and post a picture of this kid here once hes born

Re: Baby Names?

I named my son Jean-Luc after a certain Star Trek captain.

Comment

Well, you can always go with some Nordic names (which I'm quite fond of, for the most part). Bjorn, Ivaar, Odin (this is less uncommon as you'd think), Aaric ... Then there are a few others that aren't directly Nordic that I like as well. Joska, Weylynn, Rhys ...

Comment

You can always combine names from people who meant something to you. Or take a name and turn it backwards.
        In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

Our daughter is named Nova. If we have another we're thinking Aiden, Denali, or Luna. They're the names of the wolves at this reserve my girlfriend visited. So that's a possibility. I also like Sasha, which can be gender nuetral. It's the diminutive for Alexander in Russian. I'm really fond of gender neutral names in general and some of those are unique.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Since I am 1/4th Hungarian I would love to name a future daughter Linka. I have always loved the name.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Before choosing a "unique" name for a child, think about how to live with it afterwards. Will not they tease him at school or laugh at work. And then they will come up with all sorts of nonsense, and then the child will suffer until the age of majority.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuznec View Post
                Before choosing a "unique" name for a child, think about how to live with it afterwards. Will not they tease him at school or laugh at work. And then they will come up with all sorts of nonsense, and then the child will suffer until the age of majority.
                Not necessarily. My daughter's name is Nova. Its certainly unique, 150 per million at peak. Compared to a common name like John which peaked at 30k per million. But I honestly can't think of her being teased for it. The thing with unique names, to me, is to keep them simple and draw from words that are known.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Nova is a normal name, it is short and memorable, the main thing is not to invent long and unnatural names.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuznec View Post
                    Nova is a normal name, it is short and memorable, the main thing is not to invent long and unnatural names.
                    It's also the name of the English conversation company I used to work for that was ruled by an evil bunny with a chicken beak. I'd never call a kid Nova! Not a bad name, but would give me flashbacks!

Last edited by Jembru; 02 Sep 2017, 14:06.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I think I'm pretty firmly in the childfree category, but if I happen to change my mind before my ovaries stop functioning, I've always wanted a kid named Marlowe.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        I think I'm pretty firmly in the childfree category, but if I happen to change my mind before my ovaries stop functioning, I've always wanted a kid named Marlowe.
                        I love that name (have you seen will wheaton's dog? It's called Marlowe too)
                        I like Jareth, mostly because I love labyrinth. And Balder, after the norse god. Freja for a girl, or Embla- also both Norse names.
                        You remind me of the babe
                        What babe?
                        The babe with the power
                        What power?
                        The Power of voodoo
                        Who do?
                        You do!
                        Do what?
                        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Working...