Cast Iron Mechanical Piggy Banks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron Mechanical Piggy Banks

Ok I hope this isn't in the wrong place, if it is I am so sorry. So if you don't know what a cast iron mechanical piggy bank is, it is one of those old piggy banks that would move when a coin was placed in its hand or something else depending. So I have one that has the hand and needs to be repaired. I have all of the parts (I think) except for the screws and was wondering if anyone knew how to repair it or knew where to go to repair it. I would appreciate any help at all. Thanks.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Re: Cast Iron Mechanical Piggy Banks

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
    Ok I hope this isn't in the wrong place, if it is I am so sorry. So if you don't know what a cast iron mechanical piggy bank is, it is one of those old piggy banks that would move when a coin was placed in its hand or something else depending. So I have one that has the hand and needs to be repaired. I have all of the parts (I think) except for the screws and was wondering if anyone knew how to repair it or knew where to go to repair it. I would appreciate any help at all. Thanks.
    Can you post a picture of the broken parts? I'd be better able to see what needs to be done.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Sure. I'll take some pictures and post them in a little bit. Thanks.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

For some reason my pictures aren't uploading to the site. Go to my instagram page at https://www.instagram.com/serenityh82/ and they'll be on there. I'm sorry for the problem. Thanks again.
        Anubisa

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
          For some reason my pictures aren't uploading to the site. Go to my instagram page at https://www.instagram.com/serenityh82/ and they'll be on there. I'm sorry for the problem. Thanks again.
          OK - I'm looking...

Is it actually broken, or is it disassembled?
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It's been disassembled. None of the pieces have been broken.
            Anubisa

Comment

OK - you mentioned that screws are missing, but do you know if all the other parts are there?

If I were trying to reassemble it, I would find a variety of screws that match the thread size to hold it together while I was doing trial and error figuring out how it works.

It shouldn't be too difficult, I don't think these things are particularly complicated, as long as all the parts are there.

- - - Updated - - -

I just watched a video of a bank like that in operation - it looks like a pretty simple lever-type action.

Comment

All the parts that I took pictures of were the only ones that I found. I just can't seem to find a website that can instruct me on how to put that type of piggy bank together. Is there a particular type of person to go to that might be able to repair these things?
                Anubisa

Comment

I looked for info on assembly, too, and couldn't find anything related to the clown.

There are people who do restoration, but they are going to be very, very expensive. Your best bet is to find somebody who enjoys tinkering with mechanical objects, and asking him/her to help you.

I did notice that there is somebody on Etsy who is selling restored versions of this bank. You may want to write an email and ask for some help. The people on Etsy tend to be friendly,

Comment

They are I believe collector things. Some collector might want to try to restore it. As B. De. said it might get expensive. Like some classic cars,the value depends on ALL parts being original,even a reproduction horn rig on a classic car could drop its value drastically. The collector scene is very picky on originality.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm thinking if I can't put it together myself I might have to try to sell the pieces on ebay or something. It's an old piece and I am sure that someone out there would want it. I don't want to part with it, but I don't have the money to pay for it to be repaired unless they aren't way overpriced. I do have the memories and that's all that matters.
                      Anubisa

Comment

Working...
                      X