• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cookbooks

I love cookbooks.

Love them.

LOVE THEM!!!!

Anyhoo, I was looking for cookbooks and saw one I thought I might get, but figured I'd check in with our resident fan of all things Japanese and see if Jem was familiar with Harumi Kurihara and if she'd read any of her books...

And then I was thinking, we have people from all sorts of places here...and people who like food. I'm sure other people might be interested in recommendations for cookbooks covering different types of cuisine. Like, what's up down under? How to make poutine and all foods my Northern friends? What's a good German cookbook? Etc...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Cookbooks

Nice idea. We do have the essential go to cookbook that any young person moving away from their parents seem to be gifted, it's called "God mad, let at lave", but it's in Danish... So unless you speak Danish that's not really gonna be a help. I started looking around, and the only one I can find that seems like it's actual traditional Danish food is one called "dining with the danes" by Lynn Andersen, that looks pretty good.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

How does one cook a book?

I cook a lot, but don't read cookbooks. Usually, I ad lib, and when I do actually do something I've never done before, I generally get a recipe from the internet. Alton Brown, Food Network is usually good.

My sister, however, who also like to cook, collects cookbooks - Last i heard, she like the James Beard books.
      Last edited by B. de Corbin; 20 Oct 2017, 10:42.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I have quite a few. I have certain dishes I want to be exactly the same every time. I did the ad-libbing decades ago and now I know how I want them to be! I remember back in the early '80s, people would compliment my rice and say theirs always either sticks or is watery. I never figured out, until fairly recently, that they simply weren't following the instructions on how much water to use. You can't just throw some stuff together! Someone once wanted my baked ziti recipe and they they used jarred sauce - YUCK - it tasted like school lunch. LOL
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Ooo! I love cookbooks! I read through them like normal books.

If you are considering dabbling in vegan cuisine, it might be good to start with Isa Chandra Moskowitz's and Terri Romero's books- mostly written together. They are classics, and fun to read. They have a series on vegan baking that is good. If you are already seriously vegan, then you have probably read at least some of them already.

Also, not books, but the Food Wishes channel on Youtube is really good for people who are already comfortable cooking. You never get the measurements, which is why I hesitate for newer cooks, but I have made some really good food based on those videos. My family will steer me towards the ones they want me to try.

Comment

My mother in law compiled a cookbook of family recipes. She shipped everyone two copies. One functional one and one as a backup/clean copy in case the functional one gets lost, dirty, breaks, or disappears. I haven't used it yet but I know there are several awesome recipes in there including a delicious artichoke dip that tends to be a party favorite when I bring it to potlucks.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Our library has two full rows of cookbooks. I got some awesome recipes from what I think was parents need to eat too. It had some recipes already broken down into stages to make ur easier to find the time. And i think that's where I got my sweet potato chili recipe that everyone loves. I'll return to the library and find some more of my favorites. Cause I don't remember titles well.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

As I am originally from Louisiana, I would recommend "Talk About Good!" by the Junior League of Lafayette (Louisiana) as a good go-to cookbook for Cajun, Creole and Soul Food. Only recipe it doesn't cover is beignets.

My grandmother used this book a great deal - first print was 1969 and she had the original. I was surprised to see it was still in print and ordered a copy not long ago. Cooking Cajun food Down Under is always a big hit with the Aussies.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  How does one cook a book?

I've managed it on occasion by dapping down my cookbook on a hot hob.... still have the scorch marks on them to prove it!
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                    I've managed it on occasion by dapping down my cookbook on a hot hob.... still have the scorch marks on them to prove it!
                    In American, does that mean you set the book on the stove?

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      In American, does that mean you set the book on the stove?

Umm... yes. Sorry, didn't stop to filter the way I talk.
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I am now looking at getting this one,now that I need to watch my diet due to being Diabetic.
                        Book Here,

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I like cookbooks of all cuisines. I especially love the classics. Julia Child is a favorite of mine. I like Alton Brown, he is just so hilarious. I also like Mark Bittman. I recommend getting his books because he just has a way of writing that makes you feel that he is talking directly to you. All of his books that I have are so simplified. I do collect cookbooks and pretty much a lot of books anyway. Cookbooks are a love of mine as well.
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                          X