Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

My daughter is in summer swim lessons for the next two weeks. It's every day, 45 minutes in the evening. She's had a really bad regression since she was in the spring class. She doesn't even want to get her hair wet, and she was nearly floating, bobbing, etc. I'm not pressuring her, though I did make it clear that in order to earn her ice cream at the end of the two weeks she has to at least try.

Her last day of swim lessons is my last day to pack for vacation. We're heading to PSG in a little over a week and I couldn't be more excited. Last year was awesome on so many levels but it didn't end well for us. Nova almost had a heat stroke (medic tent said she was 5 minutes from being unconscious when they got to her) while she was at the childcare center. This year we won't be leaving her with childcare all that often, we're going in a motor home with air conditioning that we got specifically for this reason, and we have a better idea of just how much fluid intake she needs to stay healthy while there. (Did I ever mention that she also ran off with another 3 yo little boy that same day to "go hunt lake monsters" hence the swim lessons.)
    Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

It is important learning to swim,as a kid I almost drowned. when the city sent me to summer camp,I spent the whole time in the pool teaching myself to swim. I got good enough to pass the navy boot camp swim test. you hd to swim 3 times around the Olympic sized pool,without touching the sides,and also had to jump from the high dive,to simulate jumping from a ship. also doing the strip your wet cloths off in the water. wet cloths can drag you under. you also had to swim under water about 10 yards,and com up splashing to simulate being in water with burning oil. Then we did 2 weeks of fire school(I have a lot of respect fore firemen)

See here.

- - - Updated - - -

zFrom the site:

First-Class Swim Test

The first class swim test is required for certain Naval duties, such as to become a certified Navy Swimming Instructor.

To pass the First Class Swim Test, candidates must first obtain a Red Cross or YMCA Life Saving Certificate (or NEC). The candidate must show proficiency (perfection) with the crawl stroke, breast stroke, side stroke, and elementary backstroke. Additionally, they must perform a 25-yard underwater swim, surfacing twice to demonstrate the surface burning oil technique.

- - - Updated - - -

About navy boot camp.

- - - Updated - - -

This wasa the hardest paart.

Learning damage control,fire fighting.

- - - Updated - - -

life on a destroyer,

i can say pretty accurate

- - - Updated - - -

this was the ship i was on.

- - - Updated - - -

the kretchmer,der 329
    Last edited by anunitu; 07 Jun 2018 at 06:48.
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Chickadee has a little friend that is cutting.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Chickadee has a little friend that is cutting.
    It sucks that kids are under that much stress, but - unfortunately - they often are.
    I am the sword,
    The wound,
    The stain,
    The scorned transfigured child
    Of Cain

Amendment 25, Section 1
    In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation... (Let's all think happy thoughts)

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    It sucks that kids are under that much stress, but - unfortunately - they often are.
    She's 10...

I went with her to talk to her mother. I've never felt so close to killing someone in my entire life. The bitch totally blew it off, and now the poor kid is grounded.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

that is very sad thal.
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

She's 10...

I went with her to talk to her mother. I've never felt so close to killing someone in my entire life. The bitch totally blew it off, and now the poor kid is grounded.
    Yeah... Now you know why the child is stressed...
    I am the sword,
    The wound,
    The stain,
    The scorned transfigured child
    Of Cain

Amendment 25, Section 1
    In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation... (Let's all think happy thoughts)

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

She's 10...

That's why we never told out parents when we found out a friend was self harming too often they're just met with anger instead of empathy and understanding. Poor girl.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

My older brother gav me his laptop that runs Windows 7 today.

Nice. I liked Windows 7 pretty well. After that, I just got annoyed.