X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    True but I prefer to watch it on TV.
    What if a solar flare knocks out all electrical circuits on Earth? Or an enemy of the nation detonates nuclear warheads in low orbit over top of us, initiating an EMP that knocks out our electrical grid? What if you woke up tomorrow, and all the TVs in the world had just disappeared? hnoes:
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 24 Mar 2019, 15:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post
      What if a solar flare knocks out all electrical circuits on Earth? Or an enemy of the nation detonates nuclear warheads in low orbit over top of us, initiating an EMP that knocks out our electrical grid? What if you woke up tomorrow, and all the TVs in the world had just disappeared? hnoes:
      I'll watch it on my smartphone.
      Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 24 Mar 2019, 15:19.

Comment

I'll watch it on my smartphone.
        EMP would knock out smartphones too; anything electrical that isn't protected by a faraday cage would get fried.

Imagine if all electronics were suddenly rendered useless; what would you do?

Just for giggles, let's say it's a magick​ EMP that knocks out even the electronics protected by faraday cages haha.
        Last edited by Sollomyn; 24 Mar 2019, 15:35.

Comment

Pretty sure that in every scenario except the Random Omnipotent Being vanishing all the TVs, the imminent near collapse of modern civilization is going to be a significantly larger problem then lacking access to sports on TV. The second scenario, shrug, replicating the background of Dark Angel in real life is liable to be taken as a prelude to a more direct nuclear strike and initiate WW3. While I have doubts that WW3 will end humanity (limited number of weapons, the dust clouds from a modern city are significantly smaller than what you'd expect from modeling off Hiroshima and Nagasaki, air bursting with modern weapons has a lesser fallout concern than some might think, other issues), the results are still going to be horrendously bad and BMH's stated location of New York is not liable to enjoy eating a counter value strike.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

EMP would knock out smartphones too; anything electrical that isn't protected by a faraday cage would get fried.

Imagine if all electronics were suddenly rendered useless; what would you do?

Just for giggles, let's say it's a magick​ EMP that knocks out even the electronics protected by faraday cages haha.
            Read the newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              Pretty sure that in every scenario except the Random Omnipotent Being vanishing all the TVs, the imminent near collapse of modern civilization is going to be a significantly larger problem then lacking access to sports on TV. The second scenario, shrug, replicating the background of Dark Angel in real life is liable to be taken as a prelude to a more direct nuclear strike and initiate WW3. While I have doubts that WW3 will end humanity (limited number of weapons, the dust clouds from a modern city are significantly smaller than what you'd expect from modeling off Hiroshima and Nagasaki, air bursting with modern weapons has a lesser fallout concern than some might think, other issues), the results are still going to be horrendously bad and BMH's stated location of New York is not liable to enjoy eating a counter value strike.
              Indeed; that would be a better example to use for my purposes, let's just say an omnipotent force just made all electronics disappear into thin air, leaving everything else more or less unscathed, and no one on Earth can be blamed for it. I just think more people would benefit from really putting some thought into how dependent they are on enchantments to make it through their day to day lives without either blowing their brains out or beating each other to death out of sheer frustration and boredom because so many of their security blankets were just taken away from them. I also think it's wise for people to start transitioning towards simpler ways of living, gradually over time. I think most would see that life is more enriching and fulfilling when you're not hypnotized by a screen, and that the old ways are equally enjoyable, if not more so; in place of television, there was live theater, and even further back there were tribal-designated story-tellers; in place of iPods, there were traveling bands and musical theater; in place of the Internet, there was the Encyclopedia Brittanica, and so on and so forth. The only difference seems to be that people who did things the old way seemed a lot happier, healthier and more intelligent than the obese couch-potatoes of today's society where everything is just given to the masses in an unceasing flow of agendas and propaganda, (we never had ads during live theater performances...though there were intermissions, but those were necessary; and there was almost never any brainwashing of the masses to buy products that'll put them in an early grave hahaha. :XD:

Sigh...I miss the old days.
              Last edited by Sollomyn; 24 Mar 2019, 15:55.

Comment

I like to say "The only good thing about "the good old days" is that they are in the past." Like, yeah, there were some good things about the past, but overall you can either say "we adapted to technology because it was necessary" so obviously the people in the past didn't think the past was good enough, OR that humans have always thought life was more simple in the past, because they didn't have to live it.

Anywhoo. Spring break is here and I am going to get at least one room completely cleaned and organized. Also, my parents got me addicted to this fudge covered cookie omg. so good.
                ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I think we adapted to technology because we were lazy; the old give-them-an-inch-and-they'll-take-a-mile adage; road to Hell's paved with the best intentions. We didn't think before we acted. :no:
                  Last edited by Sollomyn; 24 Mar 2019, 16:14.

Comment

I think we adapted to technology because we were lazy; the old give-them-an-inch-and-they'll-take-a-mile adage; road to Hell's paved with the best intentions. We didn't think before we acted. :no:
                    We adapted technology because it's very useful and we rely on it not because we're lazy.

Comment

Read the newspaper.
                      Really? Wouldn't that get boring? I'd think the newspaper would be better used as fuel for a fire, seeing as electric heating would be a thing of the past, and propane would run out pretty quick; not to mention all the computers and electronics necessary for the photos in your newspaper, or the actual process of printing your newspaper haha. All that would take electricity in it's current state of evolution. Plus it's kind of mean to the trees when you really think about it.

We adapted technology because it's very useful and we rely on it not because we're lazy.
                      "Rely" is the operative word in that statement that was almost a sentence. :XD:
                      Last edited by Sollomyn; 24 Mar 2019, 16:23.

Comment

Really? Wouldn't that get boring? I'd think the newspaper would be better used as fuel a fire seeing as electric heating would be a thing of the past and propane would run out pretty quick, not to mention all the computers and electronics necessary for the photos in your newspaper, or the actual process of printing your newspaper haha. All that would take electricity in it's current state of evolution. Plus it's kind of mean to the trees when you really think about it.

- - - Updated - - -

"Rely" is the operative word in that statement that was almost a sentence. :XD:
                        I love to read the newspaper. It's better than watching TV news which I already mention before. You said that you didn't find TV interesting then you're saying that reading newspaper is uninteresting as well. Then what interest do you do on a daily basis?

Comment

Indeed; that would be a better example to use for my purposes, let's just say an omnipotent force just made all electronics disappear into thin air, leaving everything else more or less unscathed, and no one on Earth can be blamed for it.
                          Mass food production, storage and transportation fail. The results are messy.

Anyway, this is probably a topic that should be an independent thread if it's going to keep going much longer. This thread isn't really meant for multi-pages debates.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm sure that's why we adapted to technology. I don't believe in glorifying the past. Your mileage must vary, but I think that our ancestors were not out there living their best life. Yes, there was some good things about the past, but overall it sucked for a ton of people. There will always be "lazy" people, and there will always be driven people. One is not better than the other based purely on that one adjective. Are there problems with our society today? Of course. But there were problems ten years ago, problems 1000 years ago, problems 10000 years ago. So yeah. I'd rather have problems where I can make friends digitally if I'm not in an accepting environment, where I can see through the use of technology, where I'm healthier because of knowledge, and where there are more options to work and live than the alternative.

(Sorry, I did not realize this was a hot button issue for me lol. I'll shut up)
                            Last edited by faye_cat; 24 Mar 2019, 16:29.
                            ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
                              I'm sure that's why we adapted to technology. I don't believe in glorifying the past. Your mileage must vary, but I think that our ancestors were not out there living their best life. Yes, there was some good things about the past, but overall it sucked for a ton of people. There will always be "lazy" people, and there will always be driven people. One is not better than the other based purely on that one adjective. Are there problems with our society today? Of course. But there were problems ten years ago, problems 1000 years ago, problems 10000 years ago. So yeah. I'd rather have problems where I can make friends digitally if I'm not in an accepting environment, where I can see through the use of technology, where I'm healthier because of knowledge, and where there are more options to work and live than the alternative.

(Sorry, I did not realize this was a hot button issue for me lol. I'll shut up)
                              Last edited by iris; 24 Mar 2019, 16:51.
                              You remind me of the babe
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

It's not so much technology that I have an issue with, so much as the careless manner in which we went about advancing it; working against mother nature instead of alongside mother nature. Alas though MaskedOne is right; the topic would be better as a separate thread; I was just trying to provoke some introspective thinking haha; I don't think we ask ourselves why we do things often enough, and tend to run on autopilot, just sort of going through the motions with not much thought as to how our actions affect the world around us, or what we can do to make things better.
                                Last edited by Sollomyn; 24 Mar 2019, 17:08.

Comment

Working...
                                X