X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My next pet will be a bug

I'm looking at these now:

It's an insect, disguised as a leaf.

Unfortunately, it is illegal to import live insects into the US.

Fortunately, the live eggs can be imported (I just adore a good legal loophole, don't you?). There is no chance that they will become an invasive species - they are tropical, and Michigan definitely isn't tropical.

I'm also considering one of this variety:

Aren't they just about the cutest things ever?????
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 18 Jan 2018, 10:36.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: My next pet will be a bug

here is no chance that they will become an invasive species

OK,this then.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

LOL - one of the virtues of not living in Florida.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Collin found a big leaf bug just a few weeks ago. I think it was a false katydid. Which is confusing because false katydids are actually a species of katydid that just makes a different noise than most katydid species...
        “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
        ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
        ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I couldn't do a bug. Furry things only. Bugs freak me out. I'm frigging scared of bugs, mostly spiders. Not to say they're bad or anything, but I'm one of those people who can't handle bugs. Good luck!
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
            I couldn't do a bug. Furry things only. Bugs freak me out. I'm frigging scared of bugs, mostly spiders. Not to say they're bad or anything, but I'm one of those people who can't handle bugs. Good luck!
            I have a bee background, so bugs no longer bother me

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Collin found a big leaf bug just a few weeks ago. I think it was a false katydid. Which is confusing because false katydids are actually a species of katydid that just makes a different noise than most katydid species...
              I feel like this bug is my kindred spirit. I'm hoping it's pronounced katee-did.
              “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                I feel like this bug is my kindred spirit. I'm hoping it's pronounced katee-did.
                Yup - katydid. Everybody knows Katy did...

Outdoor-katydid-vpr-brown.jpg

Comment

Katydids are plentiful here in the summer. They are SO LOUD!!! I'm looking forward to the sound - that and the spring peepers (frogs).
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

See I think some people are in spirit with bugs and can communicate with them like others are with the furries. I don't think bugs are bad, I just can't look straight at them without feeling creeped out. I think the only bug I may like are butterflies. But even then I don't like looking at them up close. It's odd because as children we play with daddy long legs and fireflies and it don't bother us, but grow up and you have this intense fear of them suddenly. Good luck on your search!
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

My nephew keeps tarantulas as pets. I couldn't do that. He has said that as soon as one of them bites him it is over. I think that they are beautiful. My parents have tons of tarantula nests on their property, and it doesn't bother me at all- they are fascinating. But tending to one in a cage would be too much for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly Pear View Post
                        My nephew keeps tarantulas as pets. I couldn't do that. He has said that as soon as one of them bites him it is over. I think that they are beautiful. My parents have tons of tarantula nests on their property, and it doesn't bother me at all- they are fascinating. But tending to one in a cage would be too much for me.
                        Count me out. This would be my worst nightmare. *shivers*
                        Anubisa

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          I'm looking at these now:

It's an insect, disguised as a leaf.

Aren't they just about the cutest things ever?????
                          Move to Australia... you can get all kinds of stick and leaf insects at the reptile and insect shows and also a lot of pet shops. They are popular as pets and petting zoo critters, and as classroom pets at schools and museums. Most people know of the stick insects (and they live wild in even non-tropical areas), but we have lots of different leaf insects too. Does the US not have native leaf insects and stick insects? I never really thought of these as a uniquely Australasian thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                            Move to Australia... you can get all kinds of stick and leaf insects at the reptile and insect shows and also a lot of pet shops. They are popular as pets and petting zoo critters, and as classroom pets at schools and museums. Most people know of the stick insects (and they live wild in even non-tropical areas), but we have lots of different leaf insects too. Does the US not have native leaf insects and stick insects? I never really thought of these as a uniquely Australasian thing.
                            LOL - I know. Every time I find a seller on the internet, the seller is in Australia.

Yes, there are stick insects native to the US, but they tend to be only a couple inches long. Leaf mimics, aside from Katydids, I don't think so...

- - - Updated - - -

LOL - I know. Every time I find a seller on the internet, the seller is in Australia.

Yes, there are stick insects native to the US, but they tend to be only a couple inches long. Leaf mimics, aside from Katydids, I don't think so...

Comment

Yeah, the place that has spiders that can lay eggs under your skin.

I'll get right on moving there. :P
                              “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                              X