X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death with dignity.

story here.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Death with dignity.

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't think he should kill himself because he said that he wanted to. He should be grateful that he lived a very long life and he should continue to live and die naturally.

Comment

Honestly I think it's his choice, and I respect it. What makes me sad is that he seems like a man who wants to live, but is being denied a life because of his age. He is clearly highly intelligent and used to being active. Suddenly being unable because others decide it's bad for him, I can see why that would drive someone to that point. But he's clearly got his wits, and he would make it happen somehow. Better for everyone that it's under calm and regulated circumstances than his family, or someone else, had to find him one day. I saw my grandfather fade away for almost 10 years. He was 97 when he finally died. He was unable to do anything he loved, his life was sleeping and eating and waiting for other people to come help. This was a man who took a degree in law and engineering at the same time because he was bored, who spent his life travelling and doing sports. Suddenly trapped in his house. And his mind started leaving him so slowly he was aware of it. I can't imagine what that must feel like. But if he'd had the option, I would have supported him. I think, not past a certain age but by a certain point in life, It's their choice and no one gets to be offended. They don't owe life anything. I just wish we'd be better at creating a life that would feel worthwhile for them.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
        I'm sorry but I don't think he should kill himself because he said that he wanted to. He should be grateful that he lived a very long life and he should continue to live and die naturally.
        I imagine he is grateful for the life he lived. That doesn't mean that he isn't ready for that life to be over. It sounds like he didn't have much support to continue doing the things he loved. He said he was basically eating and sitting in a chair all day. That's not a life. And at 104 his life was likely coming to a close soon anyway. That's a long life, and apparently well lived.

The debate for right to die is a complex one. People who are terminal (and in my opinion extreme old age, potentially defined as anything over the age of 95-100, is a terminal condition) should have the right to end their life before their suffering becomes exaggerated and inhumane. To say that they must hold on, no matter how painful their situation, is just another kind of torture. And any argument on moral grounds likely has a religious reason behind it, and it is no one's place to inflict their religious beliefs on another human being. It isn't your body. It's not harming you. And many could argue that it's not harming them (after all, death isn't always the worst case scenario).
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          I imagine he is grateful for the life he lived. That doesn't mean that he isn't ready for that life to be over. It sounds like he didn't have much support to continue doing the things he loved. He said he was basically eating and sitting in a chair all day. That's not a life. And at 104 his life was likely coming to a close soon anyway. That's a long life, and apparently well lived.

The debate for right to die is a complex one. People who are terminal (and in my opinion extreme old age, potentially defined as anything over the age of 95-100, is a terminal condition) should have the right to end their life before their suffering becomes exaggerated and inhumane. To say that they must hold on, no matter how painful their situation, is just another kind of torture. And any argument on moral grounds likely has a religious reason behind it, and it is no one's place to inflict their religious beliefs on another human being. It isn't your body. It's not harming you. And many could argue that it's not harming them (after all, death isn't always the worst case scenario).
          I see what your saying but I have to disagree. If his family was still alive they will have a say in this. They don't want a family member to commit suicide no matter how old that person is.

Comment

We are humane enough to allow a dog in pain to be freed from that pain,yes?

And his life belonged to him alone,the the family who would require him to remain in such pain,are much more concerned with their own pain,not the relief of his pain. I believe in death with dignity,and I myself am much closer to that destination,so than younger folks who seem to imply they can better decide for this man or my self,in the end my life and its end is between myself,and any deity I may be connected to.

MY life belongs to me,and my future also I do own!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Gain a few years Bart,and let us have this conversation again. we morn mainly for ourselves when a friend or family departs,not the dead,they have gained peace from an at times cruel existence.

- - - Updated - - -

A mile in my shoes Bart,and in my case, more than a few thousand miles.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
            X